inexpensive, quality hrm?

Options
i know, oxymoron right?
anyway, i am looking to get a hrm. i would like one that tells calories burned and works well. but i am trying not to spend a ton of money. i would like to be able to go to a store and get it, and not order online. and recommendations?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 but I got it off Amazon for $60. I think it's $100 in stores.
  • mimi2kk
    mimi2kk Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of getting an HRM also so I'm very interested in the responses.
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I too just got the Polar FT4 off of Amazon for $60. Its great, really does what its meant to do and quite cheap.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    just get one with a chest strap, with HRMs, you usually get what you pay for.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yup, think you're right with oxymoron.

I bought an HRM watch for £7.99 on ebay. Totally useless (told me I burned 120 calories in an hour of intensive aeorbic, I was SAD!).

I hear you need to spend at least £60 but I'm not sure.
  • kgschel
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 which I'm very happy with, though it was not cheap (by my standards anyway) at around $105. Polar has less expensive models (see recommendation from other poster above); I would trust their quality, they pretty much invented wireless heart-rate monitoring.
  • Brandysmith1985
    Brandysmith1985 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I got the Mio that has choice of using the heart strap or just wrist watch and works great. Tells you fat burned, calories burned, how long you are in target heart zone and was 79.99 at Sport Chalet. I also got a usb drive that I guess tracks the info into your computer, haven't played with that yet, but bonus that came with it. Totally worth the price, helps motivate me and I watcheverything throughtout the day to try and bring that heart rate up.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I got the Mio that has choice of using the heart strap or just wrist watch and works great. Tells you fat burned, calories burned, how long you are in target heart zone and was 79.99 at Sport Chalet. I also got a usb drive that I guess tracks the info into your computer, haven't played with that yet, but bonus that came with it. Totally worth the price, helps motivate me and I watcheverything throughtout the day to try and bring that heart rate up.

I have a Mio watch and it is a POS. I seriously want to throw it on the ground and stamp on it. I'm pretty sure it's not reading my burned calories properly and you have to hold two fingers on it to read your BPM, which wouldn't be so bad except sometimes it won't read it or takes for frickin ever!

Plus there are 956 calories burned stuck in my totals on the watch and I cant get it to go away.

It's useless.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I bought an inexpensive one from Wal*Mart for $27.00. It is more accurate than using the guidelines set up for MFP. I have also checked it when at Dr.s appointments to see if it is readng what they have. And it seems to be with in a digit or two.
  • ♚SuperHeather♚
    Options
    I have one by bowflex it has the chest strap and works pretty well. occasionally you have to bring the watch up to the strap to get your heart rate but other than that it is a Gem! I got it for 25 bucks on ebay!
  • melliemel818
    melliemel818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm going to buy the Polor FT4 when I get paid next. I know you can by it at target but it's around $80, so if you can buy it online for around $60 I'd do that. Target also has some New Balance HRM with straps too. I've heard from othe MFPer's that those work well too and I think you get those for around $50 in the store. but they the others said, you get what you pay for. Wish you luck on your decision making.
  • wsclink
    Options
    i just recently purchased a Polar FT7 from Amazon for $80 and i love it.
  • twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    LOVE the Polar FT4. I got it for just around $90 at Best Buy. I could have gotten it cheaper online. But I HATE waiting. I'd rather spend $20 extra and have immediate satisfaction. I didn't want to spend as much as I did, but I realized that a pair of jean I would buy would cost just as much. I'd rather spend $90 on a HRM than thousands to replace my too small wardrobe. Good luck!
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For now, because I'm on a budget I got a Mio wristwatch. It doesn't come with the chest strap, you have to touch 2 buttons on it. A lot of people dissed on the idea, but I use it when I do my zumba and I just touch between dance sets since theres that 10 second animation in the game anyway and it's acurate. tested it at my doctors, also I only paid 40 USD for it.

If you want a good one, you're going to want one with a chest strap and they will be expensive. If you want a budget one that you're going to replace (I'll probably buy a polar with my tax return) then you have a lot of wrist style options.
  • twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Another thought: BUY NICE OR BUY TWICE!

It's not worth spending $30 on one that won't perform the way you'd like just to spend $90 to upgrade.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Consumer Reports Recommends the

Timex Personal Trainer 5G971 ($50)
    and the Omron HR 100C ($40)