Share your fitness ideas: 30 min/day for 30 days

Options
I'm close to GW but super busy for the next month before a big vacation. I'm willing to carve out 30 minutes a day for the next 30 days to tackle your exercise/fitness challenges. Whatcha got for me?

Requirements: Must be done at home, indoors preferred as it's summer in Georgia, but I do have some trails I can walk with my dogs. I also have a treadmill and a set of 10 lb dumbells. And... Go!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Just do a 30 min YouTube workout everyday? I'm trying out growingannanas atm...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    sbelletti wrote: »
    I'm close to GW but super busy for the next month before a big vacation. I'm willing to carve out 30 minutes a day for the next 30 days to tackle your exercise/fitness challenges. Whatcha got for me?

Requirements: Must be done at home, indoors preferred as it's summer in Georgia, but I do have some trails I can walk with my dogs. I also have a treadmill and a set of 10 lb dumbells. And... Go!

Your dogs still need to be walked. My husky and I HATED summers in South Florida, but I still walked him 10 minutes in the AM, before the sun was fully up, and a half hour or so at dusk. Since this is mandatory for your dogs' health, I'd carve out extra time for this. :smile:

I hate heat and humidity in Massachusetts' summers too. Some indoor things I do:

1. Deep clean (recently did the refrigerator)
    2. Declutter (last summer we put our house on the market and I spent many, many hours running up and down the attic and basement stairs and lugging boxes around)
    3. Yoga
    4. Classical stretch/Essentrics
    5. Tai Chi
    6. Strength training

Do get a wider variety than just one pair of 10 # dumbbells. I START with 10 # on some exercises, and FINISH with that on exercises for smaller muscles.

In your situation, I would walk the dogs daily in the AM, and alternate between strength training and favorite cardio at night. Treadmilling to something binge-worthy on TV should be easy to "just do it" but you could throw in some youtube workouts on non-weights days for variety.

Also, the library is a great resource for exercise DVDs. I currently have several Classical stretch/Essentrics DVDs. I first heard about that here. I have several injuries/physical challenges, and unlike random youtube workouts, they've never hurt me.
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I second the "walk your dog early in the morning and at dusk: suggestion.

How "easy" are the 10 pound dumbbells for you? If they seem light, there try some tricep curls or inverted rows. I use my couch as a bench, put one knee and one arm up on it so my torso is parallel with the ground and I'm facing down, and I pull the dumbbell up in a row, then straighten out my arm by keeping my elbow in place and bringing my hand/dumbbell back and up to my waist. Works out the triceps. There's also shadow boxing with weights.

Weighted squats and good. Push-ups, planks, crunches. Everything the above poster mentioned, too.

There's also what my mom does, which is walk circles around the living room with a podcast on.
  • Precious3876
    Precious3876 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from a cesarean dec 2021 and a knee surgery May 2022 (ACL repair). I could kick myself for not taking advantage of March and April to workout once I was cleared from the cesarean. I am not cleared on ACL but I can walk normally now with limitations. ( no long distance, or running, jumping, inclines, declines, ect) I REALLY want to work out. What can I do????? I used to love long walks and trails. Im so upset that I can’t do that right now.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Precious3876 - dancing, tai chi, pilates, yoga or low impact aerobics. Leslie Sansome videos are a good place to start with the low impact workouts.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Folks talking abut the doggies... They get walked twice a day and have a big yard to play in. They also have a Grandad next door to spoil them daily, don't you worry!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from a cesarean dec 2021 and a knee surgery May 2022 (ACL repair). I could kick myself for not taking advantage of March and April to workout once I was cleared from the cesarean. I am not cleared on ACL but I can walk normally now with limitations. ( no long distance, or running, jumping, inclines, declines, ect) I REALLY want to work out. What can I do????? I used to love long walks and trails. Im so upset that I can’t do that right now.

Can you swim, do you have access to a pool? Even just walking around in the shallow end burns mad calories while being super low-impact.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    After a 5 min warm up, Do fast hard sprints on the treadmill, fast as you can, instead of your usual pace. Do sprints and keep the timer going, then walk it (treadmill) to get HR down, Then sprint again. In between sprints (after cool down), use dumbell for waist, bicep, tricep, (keep head up above heart). Then hop back on TM and get into sprints, repeat. You will knock your system for a loop in this upset "omg what are you doing" from your usual routine. I've been doing this on the bike outside and its actually helped with shaking things up a bit on the average mph and the scale and the cardio fitness. Plus its a new goal.