New here .. Celiacs .. anyone?

Options
Hi there my name is Lindsey and I am new to this site. I have been using the MFP app for my phone though for about a month and think it's great!

I have celiacs and want to see if there is anyone else out there like me. It's hard sometimes watching what i eat because gluten free foods aren't readily availble in prepackaged meals (well good tasting ones at least) and a lot of things I eat I have to list one-at-a-time.

Would love to be able to talk with some folk with the same issues!

Replies

• Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not a celiac but i have an allergy to a lot of wheat based products. I don't know exactly if it's the wheat, the gluten or something else in there, but I get brain fog, sore joints and swollen eyelids. So my diet is essentially very much like a celiac. It's not too hard to do this, however. I know, though a lot of the gluten free breads are a little more calorie laden than traditional.
  • harrisburglpn
    Options
    I've long given up on gluten free bread .. it's sooooo disgusting tasting LOL! :sick:
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Udi's? It's by far the best and only bread I can stomach, so far. It actually tastes like bread. Damn five bucks a loaf, but I gotta have a sandwich once in awhile.
  • harrisburglpn
    Options
    No I haven't tried Udi's. I will have to see if my store carries it! Thanks :):bigsmile:
  • spinsterwitch
    Options
    Hi...don't have the diagnosis, but have all the symptoms. As my allergist says, I have to eat like I do have it because if I caught it early enough, I would not have had the damage when they did the biopsy.

On the topic of breads and sandwiches, I found a fabulous sandwich place in Eugene, OR while I was on a road trip a couple of weeks ago. The bread and sandwich were so good that I cried.
  • luv2runsgf
    Options
    I have celiac and honestly don't find it hard to follow a gluten-free diet. Compared to what I felt like on gluten any minor inconvenience is so insignificant it doesn't really count. Udi's is pretty decent but I reserve it for the very, very occasional piece of toast with my eggs and to make breadcrumbs from (for meatloaf and things like that). Amy's Naturals makes several gluten-free frozen meals that are quite good and there are a couple of other decent ones out there. One of my favorites is Kettle Cuisine frozen soups - their Clam Chowder is outstanding (so is the mushroom and chili, the chicken "noodle" is good too). I work at least 80 hours a week and have little time to cook so occasionally these are my fall-back meals. This week it is a big pot of soup I made on Sunday for lunches and some dinners plus salads, a little fruit, all kinds of vegetables and either eggs or gluten free oatmeal (Bob's Red Mill) for breakfast. You can achieve your goals and improve your health if you find a way to make it work.