Cardio: before or after weight training?

Options
I'm beginning my workout regime, but I'm easing into it right now (getting used to being back in the gym) by doing just cardio for this week and next. Im trying to figure out if there are any benefits to doing my cardio first, then weights, or the other way around once I incorporate the weight training back in. Any thoughts?

Replies

• toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not sure if there are any benefits either way, I typically tend to do my cardio first to get it out of the way.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I like to do weights first (after a short cardio warm-up) to ensure I have enough energy for proper form.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I like to do weights first (after a short cardio warm-up) to ensure I have enough energy for proper form.

Ditto. I think I'd pretty tired, and thus sloppy, if I did my cardio before the resistance.
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I do the same thing :)
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you're hitting the weights for a good hour lifting heavy, cardio afterwards.
  • missymoo53
    missymoo53 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio before my weights if that is helpful :happy:
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The way I have always been told was by doing the cardio AFTER the lifting it helps to burn off the lactic acid that builds up in the muscles and causes the pain.

But, now... I do my cardio WHILE lifting.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are training for a running event you may want to do the cardio first, otherwise for fitness and weight loss it is best to do weights first, cardio second.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I talked to a personal trainer that said it is a lot better to do your cardio first, so that you heart rate is still up... this way it is like you get double cardio as far as calories burned, and that since your muscles have just gotten a lot of blood to them from the cardio, you are less likely to pull a muscle... but then stretching afterwards is even more important if you do weight training last.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I asked a trainer at the gym last week when I had a weight training program done up. She recommended doing the cardio first, because I'm doing quite a bit of leg work. She was afraid I might be left with jelly legs after the weight training and then not be able to do my run. It might depend on what type of cardio and what type of weights you'll be doing!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    depends on my workout, sometimes its a run before the workout to get loose and warmed up then the workout then another run after. I also find that throwing in a quarter mile run during the workout is fun too, that way I can get my mileage in and my weight circuits..plus I'm not on that treadmill for very long at a time
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    If you are training for a running event you may want to do the cardio first, otherwise for fitness and weight loss it is best to do weights first, cardio second.

Is there a reason to do weights first? Just wondered......
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    the answer to your question, in part, depends on what your fitness goals are. I think the general trend is to recommend resistance training first and then cardio...so that you can max out on resistance training and not be too tired to use good form. however, I can tell you that I was in the best shape of my life when I did 45 minutes of cardio followed by 45 minutes of weight training (keeping in mind that I never did near-max or max sets, but I did work hard with the weights). that was a while ago and I don't have 90 minutes to workout any longer, but my point is that I think either combo can be successful. I do believe if you want to do anything approaching a max set with weights, that I would do that before any cardio.

I now do HIIT which combines resistance training and cardio into a more efficient, shorter workout.
  • abbie017
    Options
    It really depends on what your aim is.

If you are seeking to build endurance (cardio), then you should be doing cardio first, then lifting.
    If you are seeking to build muscle (strength), then you should be doing lifting first, then cardio.

The reason behind this is the rate at which your muscles burn glycogen. If you do cardio first, you burn up all the stored glycogen in your muscles, and you need glycogen in order to build the muscles you are targeting with strength training.
  • kayleeblue
    Options
    They say we are supposed to do weights first then cardio...Google it...or just wait a few minutes...someone will post a link here explaining it.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I usually do about 15 minutes of warm up to get my heartrate up. Then I'll hit the weights. It gives me a little time to relax a bit from cardio before I go on a 30 -40 minutes cardio blast on either the elliptical or stairclimber. It helps me conserve more energy to endure a longer cardio workout at the end of the day.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The reason behind this is the rate at which your muscles burn glycogen. If you do cardio first, you burn up all the stored glycogen in your muscles, and you need glycogen in order to build the muscles you are targeting with strength training.

A side note, I always used creatine when doing any heavy lifting routine as it helps with the re-cycling of ATP which is part of the cellular metabolism that leads to the production of glycogen. Not sure if it is the "right" thing to do, but it worked for me.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    It is much better to do your cardio after weight training. You heart rate is already up and your muscles are ready to go from the weight training. You will burn more calories if you do your cardio after. Plus if cardio is done before you will not be able to weight train as well as muscles may become tired.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Is there a reason to do weights first? Just wondered......

Yes, If you do cardio first you will be tired and your form may be off during the weight lifting which can lead to injury. Not to mention you will not be able to lift as much weight or do as many resp, and on top of that you will be burning a lot of glycogen stores during the strength training so when you do the cardio you will burn a large % of fat.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My take at the beginning it is more important to just do it, than worry about the order. At this phase you are building it into your routine. Later when you are in the fine tuning stage, worry about the order. ;)

I had the best results with 15-20 minutes of intervals and then weight training.
    Occasionally I would add additional steady state cardio.

Since most cardio tends to be legs, I like legs last. If I walk home from the gym, my legs are like jelly after the workout. (Blame the intervals.)