Why is the scale not moving?

Options
MamaBearWorx93
MamaBearWorx93 Posts: 18 Member
edited July 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been eating so so healthy, very low carb and almost no fat, tons of veggies and lean protein and fruit plus exercising a lot and the scale went down five pounds in the last month since I’ve been doing MFP but has been stuck for days! In fact this morning it actually went up a half a pound and I was 400 cal under my goal yesterday and walked 11,000 steps and gardened which I didn’t even count in my exercise. What is going on?? When I do complete diary at the end of the day it tells me I’m going to weigh 10 pounds less than I weigh today in five weeks but I don’t know how that’s going to be if the scale doesn’t move for the last four days and in fact went up today.

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Weight going up and FAT going up are different! Put weight is a range, not a set number. Our bodies have an astonishing amount of water that fluctuates, plus weight changes based on food left in the intestines, where we are in our menstrual cycle, etc
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal as mentioned, due to all kinds of things that have nothing to do with body fat. Agree with previous posters, be consistent, but don't expect perfection from your scale or yourself. This is a long road, make sure you can stay on it for the long term by following a diet you can stick with, and accepting that you won't always see losses. Fat is absolutely necessary in your diet for your hormones, your brain, and your basic health, by the way - try to include some.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    Going low carb AND low fat may be something to rethink... not many people do both because you need to get your calories from somewhere, and while lean proteins are great, they're not necessarily great to make up the bulk of your diet over the long term.
  • mikefm101
    mikefm101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’ve been stuck at 182 for about 10 days.

Friday morning was 180.

Saturday morning was 184.

Same happened at 194 but I stuck with the plan and eventually got back on track.

I’ve averaged 1lb lost per week the past four months but I’ve not lost 1 lb *every*week.

Drinking more water will reduce the retention.

Mike
  • MamaBearWorx93
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Intend to obsess so I think what I’ll do is only weigh myself once a week now on a given day at a given time. Also I need to increase the good fats in my diet and also the net carbs and increase protein as well. Thank you all!!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    There are going to be weight fluctuations. One reason is water weight. You can retain water due to hormones/TOM, stress, changing in the quantity of carbs you eat, muscle repair from exercise, lack of sleep and a # of other things. Water weight fluctuations are temporary, and nothing to worry about. Weight can also fluctuate for other things. Like how much food waste is currently in your system, or how hydrated/dehydrated you are.

For these reasons, comparing back to back weighins can be misleading. What I mean is whether you weigh daily or weekly, sometimes the # will go down and sometimes it will go up. To get a better idea of your progress - look for a weight trending app for your phone. Or compare your current weigh in to what you weighed a month or 2 months ago. If you are eating at a deficit and you weigh less now than 30 days ago: you are on the right path.

If you are intending to eat at a deficit but weigh more now than a month or two months ago: your logging may not be accurate or there could be a medical issue going on. (Some medical conditions could cause a larger level of water retention for example.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature-1024x538.png
  • MamaBearWorx93
    Options
    Thank you!
  • EricExtreme
    EricExtreme Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 5
    Options
    As a personal trainer and nutrition coach who runs a community fitness center, I recommend to some of my clients that the scale can be a source of frustration and misinterpreted information. They don't separate fat, water, lean body mass, waste, hormone cycles, sleep cycles, inflammation, bloating caused by food sensitivities, sodium-rich intake days, etc. I suggest to my clients who are emotionally responding to the scale that they don't step on it more than once monthly as, for many people, it can cause more harm than good. A target weight can be helpful for many as they have something to achieve, but getting on the scale too frequently can have an adverse effect. Keep your nutrition, exercise, and sleep on point; the weight will come off in time.
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature-1024x538.png

its the trend line over time that matters....btw...5lbs in a month is pretty good, imho