Protein Powder

Options
serenity_salser
serenity_salser Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2022 in Food and Nutrition
So I exercise for about 90 minutes (cardio + HIIT) daily give or take a walk in the evenings. I also count my macros and hit my calorie goal. Would including a plant-based protein powder like hemp powder in my diet cause a standstill in my weight loss. From my understanding I have more calories available to me after I reach my goal because I exercise. I eat nothing but whole foods, but I still feel like I need more food. I would like to give protein powder a try, but not if it'll put me back.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    Not at all.

Weight management comes down to calories.

ymdv19of88mw.png

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    So I exercise for about 90 minutes (cardio + HIIT) daily give or take a walk in the evenings. I also count my macros and hit my calorie goal. Would including a plant-based protein powder like hemp powder in my diet cause a standstill in my weight loss. From my understanding I have more calories available to me after I reach my goal because I exercise. I eat nothing but whole foods, but I still feel like I need more food. I would like to give protein powder a try, but not if it'll put me back.

Depends. If you're meeting your calorie goal eating whole foods and then add protein powder and that causes you to exceed your goal, then yes it will cause you to gain weight. You will need to account for the calories from the protein powder.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake before bedtime every single day and I add it in to my food plan. My breakfast, lunch and that bedtime snack do not usually vary so I account for them on my next days diary every evening.

Actually, guesstimating what you will have the next day is a good way to keep you on track.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,224 Member
    Options
    What they said above. Also,

(1) If you have calories left, you aren't meeting your goal. Your goal includes those calories, or at least the fraction of them that represents an accurate estimate.

(2) If your overall eating, on average, gives you enough protein (in grams, not percentages), protein powder won't necessarily add value to your eating. Bodies can store only very limited protein for a very limited time (if they don't need it at the time to build/maintain muscle or other tissue). Excess gets excreted, or (rarely) stored as body fat (and it won't do that on net when in a calorie deficit). A rough rule of thumb is minimum 0.6-0.8g protein per day per pound of bodyweight, roughly equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass. For a more nuanced, evidence-based protein recommendation, there's this calculator and its explanation:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

A little extra protein won't hurt a healthy person, but true excess doesn't confer special benefits. Further, high protein would be a negative if it limits one's ability to get other essential nutrients (macros, micros) within a reasonable calorie level.

As an aside, calories from protein (among the macronutrients) is less likely to store as fat, for a couple of reasons:
    * Protein has a higher TEF (thermic efficiency of food, i.e., it takes a few more calories for the biochemistry of digesting it)
    * Bodies are efficient, so as a generality, in calorie excess fat is most likely to be stored as fat - less conversion required.

There's not going to be net fat storage in a true calorie deficit, regardless.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,718 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I am wholefood plant based and use plant protein daily. I use both combination powders( Sunwarrior, ZHOU, hemp, pea, sunflower, pumipkin) I make ⁰ smoothies with Green Vibrance powder or just the protein with different combinations.Avocado, nuts, almond milk, cacao, flax, chia or banana, cherries, etc. I am very thin and have been using them for years. It's about total calories, how balanced the rest of your day is and how much you use. I have a job where I am on my feet most of the time. I use them at work and I find it easier making smoothies ( plus I enjoy them) to get enough calories during the day.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Most protein supplement powders are like 120 calories. So I can't imagine that amount derailing your weight loss.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A protein supplement wouldn't do anything in and of itself to stall losing weight any more than eating a piece of chicken or something. Calories
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Correct, your base calorie goal to meet whatever weight loss goal you selected is only intended for a day with no exercise as purposeful exercise isn't taken into account when setting your target calories.
    Adding calories to both the calories out (exercise) and calories in (additional calories eaten) is intended to retain the balance you picked.
    90mins of exercise and a protein supplement aren't likely to be equal though unless you add a load of extra calories to your hemp.
  • keithsimrell
    keithsimrell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to add a protein powder mix to your diet without adding too many calories, I've found adding a mix to something like unsweetened Oatmilk makes a great shake. One serving (2 scoops) of Vital Performance Powder has 130 cals. and 25g protein. The Unsweetened Planet Oat Original has 45 cals. and 1g protein. 175 Calories total with 26g of protein, nice ratio as far as I'm concerned.

I need extra everything, so I make a combo chocolate/banana shake with Vital Performance plus Instant Breakfast, 1 large banana and 2 cups of Unsweetened oatmilk. This entire shake's nutritional values are 481cals, 80carb, 2fat, 34prot, 531sodm, 37 sugr. It also tasts great, but it's even better when you add a little ice to give it a chill. Enjoy!