Push ups and sit ups?

Options
Ok, so even before I had the baby I couldn't do either. But I'm trying to start, since they're...y'know...free. I figure they'll be my best bet as I can do them whenever. Even if she's just down for a 20 min nap, I can bust out a few 'ups', y'know? Anyway. I think I want to use twohundredsitups.com as my routine, but I don't know if it'll actually work. On one hand, I think it will help to have a guide. On the other, it seems almost too easy at first. Almost like more of an irritation/waste of time than something effective. Same with onehundredpushups.com...only I do my pushups with my hands on the stairs to make them easier. I had done that before (sporadically) and as they became easier, I just moved to a lower stair to make them challenging again. I never did make it to the floor though.

Anyway, has anyone used either of these websites? Did they work? Or do you have your own routine that works?

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Pushups are one of the best exercies that you can do. They strengthen so many parts of your body, from your core, all the way up.

Situps are also good, but you ahve to be careful not to hurt yourself.
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Has anybody done the 100 pushups and/or situps in 30-days program? Does it work??
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Do both, alternate. Pushups work the back, shoulders, arms and chest.
    Crunches work the abs, and lower back.

Two free exercises you can do whenever and they work a large percentage of the body between them.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    if you have 20 mins you can do jillian micheals 30 day shred. It is really cheap at walmart with only 3 lbs weights, also at walmart for 6 bucks. And if you cant afford to buy the dvd I got my copy off my netflix subscription. And she does push ups and sit ups along with high intensity cardio all in 20 mins :) it kicks my but and I have been going to the gym. Just thought I would throw that out there
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Reverse bridge dips are also a cracker, and work slightly different muscles than push ups.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of those sites, but I'm going to check them out.
    I haven't ever been able to do a proper pushup, and sit ups went out the window with my pregnancies. But my two bleh spots are arms and tummy, so we're working on them.
    I've started a daily routine to get back in the habit of both. I do "girl" pushups, on my knees instead of feet. I can do about six of those in a row right now, which is more than my two last week. So I rotate, 6 pushups, 12 situps, 6 pushups, 24 bicycle legs, and repeat.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I second the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, I just started it on Friday and I love it, its simple enough for me to do when my son is awake or asleep. He is 4.5 months old so I know how hard it can be to fit time in for exercising and even eating sometimes! lol. But even if she is awake you can put her in her bouncer and have her watch you do it. My son loves it, he just chills and watches like "Mom what are you doing?" And I will talk to him occasionally (when I have the breathe for it) and he smiles and so it works bc I entertain him and get my exercise in!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Proper push ups also work your lower back and abs as well as your backside and hip flexors. Note the word "proper" ;) Keeping your back rigid uses your core. If you have never done pushups and you start doing them you will notice your abs will be sore the next day (if you are doing proper pushups)
  • jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am also doing JM 30 day shred.... but, I too am curious about the programs your'e enquiring about because as of right now I can only do 8 proper pushups before I have to switch to girl push-ups.
  • lorika1977
    lorika1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can also try planks - start with 20 sec. planks and increase to 30 sec.. 40 sec. ... etc. These work your deep core muscles versus situps which work the superficial core muscles. Search youtube to see the proper form for those and modification ... Good luck!:smile:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Planks did more for me in three months than sit ups and crunches did in years.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know some people have had great success with pushups and situps. One person comes to mind, Herschel Walker. He does something like 1000 pushups and 3000 situps daily.

There are some cool free apps for your android or iphone by Rittr Labs for a fun way to track, monitor and motivate you while doing pushups and situps, check them out.

Cheers!
  • rosa1582
    rosa1582 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    if you have 20 mins you can do jillian micheals 30 day shred. It is really cheap at walmart with only 3 lbs weights, also at walmart for 6 bucks. And if you cant afford to buy the dvd I got my copy off my netflix subscription. And she does push ups and sit ups along with high intensity cardio all in 20 mins :) it kicks my but and I have been going to the gym. Just thought I would throw that out there

Also, depending on your cable company, you can get "fitness on demand"
    Currently mine has Jillian Michaels
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Has anybody done the 100 pushups and/or situps in 30-days program? Does it work??

I've done part of the situps one -- it 'works' in the sense that I think its very well paced and if you stick to it you will get to the goal at the end. I did have one or two days when I had to go back and do the previous day before I could move on, so it took a LITTLE longer.

That said, I quit because omg regular crunches are BORING and don't work all of the muscles in your abdominals as well as it would if you did a couple different kinds of ab exercises.

However if you think it would feel great to just have that accomplishment under your belt then yeah, it will totally work.

haven't tried the pushup one but actually I probably should.

Also for the OP - girl pushups flat on the ground are good for working up to regular pushups. See if you can move to the ground if you do them that way. My routine when I started was to do as many real pushups as I could (which in the beginning was 1 or 2) and then drop to knees and finish em.
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    After 3 months of 100 pushups.com, I'm still nowhere near able to do 100 pushups all at once. I am, however, able to do many many more pushups than before and am definitely stronger. I recommend it. Plan to try 200 situps starting next week.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I keep getting too busy to finish the 100 pushups. It is pretty cool. I hope to get to 100 knee pushups, then move to full pushups.

At my last attempt, I was doing about 75 pushups per workout. I noticed a difference in my shoulders, and strength definitely.

Even though I haven't been doing pushups for months now, I have maintained some strength and I can definitely do 60 over 3 sets (I tried last week).

It is definitely recommended to help build your base. These pushups help with so many other exercises.