Maintaining a sustainable weight

Hi and g'day all, I am trying to maintain a constant weight but have been like a yoyo all this time. Age at 64 is a factor and will I try my best to use MyFitnessPal to assist this health journey. No chronic illness and would say I am fairly fit. #health

Replies

• DeniseWilson43
    DeniseWilson43 Posts: 87 Member
    I been On this site for 4 yrs seen so many come an go. Always looking for friends in this site encourage each other end day we all need that. My thing is under DeniseWilson43 have a great one
  • DeniseWilson43
    DeniseWilson43 Posts: 87 Member
    Try portion sizing your food, cut out all sugar I mean including put in coffee. Unsure if your a diabetic if not Intermitting saying saved me. But you can not be diabetic if so ok portion size your food!! Not eating pass certain time. Keep moving hope this helps Denise
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    By yo-yoing, what exactly do you mean?

Weight fluctuations are normal in maintenance, but if what you mean is that you have a way you eat for weight loss, as in a strict "diet" and then a way you eat when you are not dieting that makes you gain weight and you have to "diet" again, then the issue is that you haven't figured out a consistent maintenance routine.

To eat for maintenance is the exact same process as eating for weight loss, just with a few more calories.

Perhaps try doing what you do for weight loss, but with a consistent addition of a few hundred calories. Stick with it for 6-12 weeks and see what happens. If your weight stays stable, then voila, you have your maintenance routine.

If you lose, then add a small amount more calories and test it out for another 6 weeks.

Keep refining your routine until something works and then just stick with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    64stayfit wrote: »
    Hi and g'day all, I am trying to maintain a constant weight but have been like a yoyo all this time. Age at 64 is a factor and will I try my best to use MyFitnessPal to assist this health journey. No chronic illness and would say I am fairly fit. #health

I'm not sure what you mean by yoyo? Body weight isn't constant...you can't maintain a constant weight because bodyweight fluctuates naturally. In maintenance I can be up or down anywhere from 0-5 Lbs either way day to day. That's pretty normal. I consider my maintenance weight to be 180, but that is an average over the course of a week. I can easily be 183 one day and 178 a couple days later and anywhere in between day to day...but when I take the average it generally comes out to around 180.

The only time I make an adjustment is when it becomes readily apparent that what I'm experiencing isn't a normal fluctuation and as a trend over weeks I can see that in fact my weight is going up.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Try portion sizing your food, cut out all sugar I mean including put in coffee. Unsure if your a diabetic if not Intermitting saying saved me. But you can not be diabetic if so ok portion size your food!! Not eating pass certain time. Keep moving hope this helps Denise

No reason to eliminate sugar from your diet unless there is a medical reason.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Trying to maintain "a constant weight" isn't going to work as fluctuations are normal. Try instead to maintain in an acceptable range with limits that trigger action when your weight trend exceeds your chosen range.

BTW - being 64 doesn't stop you maintaining weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I figure maintenance is (re-)gaining and (re-)losing the same roughly 5-10 pounds . . . at least that's what I've been doing for the past 6+ years, all of those resulting body weights well within a healthy range, and the same jeans size, and calling "maintenance".

Fluctuations of 2-5 pounds that go up and down within a similar range over a week or so isn't even regain in my world (unless I ate 7000-17,500 calories above estimated maintenance calories to cause it). It's just normal fluctuation in water retention (which healthy bodies do to stay healthy) and variations in digestive contents on their way to becoming waste. Fat gain/loss is the thing I care about, so I ignore the water/waste changes.

IMO, there's no healthy way to stay at the exact same weight each and every day. It's a range.