Energy

Options
Spoilascanb
Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
edited July 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
What are you all drinking/doing prior to exercise for energy? I don’t want to keep drinking energy drinks.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing that requires extra energy? I mostly never consume anything particular before my exercise (in my case running, strength training and occasionally indoor rowing).

I usually exercise before dinner, so I will have a bit of fruit or some rice cakes if I'm feeling particularly hungry (but that's to keep my stomach happy, not so much for energy).

If you want to stop consuming energy drinks, something in the carbohydrate family would be your best bet?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a multi hour bike ride - usually nothing, I have plenty of energy onboard already.

What exercise are you doing and for how long?
    Are you struggling for energy during exercise or just think you "should" have something?

If you give more specifics people can give you personalised advice.
    The range of "exercise" is enormous.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning, so nothing. Just water. The workout itself wakes me up. If I lift after work, I might have an energy drink about an hour before. I usually do the powder kind from Walmart or true lemon and mix in a big bottle of water. It lasts me through the workout. If you want to go without, maybe wean yourself slowly. Have less before cutting out completely. Maybe do flavored water or electrolytes.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning, fasted, so a cup of black coffee.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I only drink water and coffee for beverages. I do drink a protein shake in the morning and one at bedtime.

I’m sure someone wiser will come along, but for me, certain foods absolutely make me feel sluggish. Maybe pay close attention to how different foods make you feel and choose the more energy producing ones closer to your workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    As of late I've been drinking 3D or Reign for energy drinks about an hour before workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Water, often with electrolytes. Sometimes a latte.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Nothing in particular. The only time I do anything particular is if I have a long ride, in which case I take hard candies and dried fruit with me to eat on my ride. Otherwise, I don't see any reason to do anything special. My rides and lifting sessions are typically during my lunch hour during the week so I've had breakfast...then I eat lunch when I return from my exercise. On weekends I usually go out mid mornings a couple hours after breakfast.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Lucozade sport, Kendal mint cake and dried apricots. I have been known to stop to eat a load of fruit but it’s not the best thing for me.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Lucozade sport, Kendal mint cake and dried apricots. I have been known to stop to eat a load of fruit but it’s not the best thing for me.

Oh that brings back memories of hiking in the Lake District, I loved those mint cakes! Although 'cake' is a deceptive term, basically just sugar with mint extract 😁
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Oh that brings back memories of hiking in the Lake District, I loved those mint cakes! Although 'cake' is a deceptive term, basically just sugar with mint extract 😁
    Yep 😀 great stuff. It’s genuinely good for my longer sessions as it just melts in the mouth and it is pure sugar. I try not to think of what it does to my teeth!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I tend to do most of my exercise early in the morning with coffee to activate my brain but otherwise fasted.

If I am in the latter stages of training for a longer race I'll eat some toast & PB an hour or so before my workout (if it's a run I stay with fasted until they reach at least 90 minutes but that's mostly because I hate running with food in my stomach).

Depending on what you're doing and when you may not require anything (most of the pre-workout drinks contain caffeine and rapidly absorbed carbs)

• BoundlessBow
    BoundlessBow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out super early in the morning prior to work. I usually use Cellucor C4 as a preworkout. The artic snowcone is an awesome flavor that isn't overwhelming.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, if first thing in the morning. If I work out fasted, I feel awful and my workout s*cks.

Before rowing (boats), my most common morning activity, Ezekiel pita with peanut butter, plus kefir.

Other workouts, later in day, might have a snack or a meal, unless I just recently ate. If snack, quick carbs if low energy, protein if hungry. I take snacks on bike rides > 1 hour, don't always eat them. Salty snacks if hot weather (usually crispy broad beans), plus mini Kind bar. I rarely ride more than 2 hours, so that's plenty.

If I feel low before strength training, quick carbs, not much. Tootsie roll caramel apple suckers were good, when I could get them.

I don't time caffeine around workouts, except avoiding it shortly before rowing/biking, because for me it's . . . triggering, in unhelpful ways for activities like those.

Generally, I prefer foods to pre-workouts and such, where feasible. I don't think there's anything wrong with the pre-workouts, could be helpful even, but just not a thing for me.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Do you mean in general, or first thing in morning? I general, nothing. If in morning, I eat a small breakfast like sliced banana in oatmeal.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted and eat/drink after. I don’t know whether to believe it but I’ve read somewhere (don’t ask me to find the study) that one gets a mild metabolism boost from working out fasted and in the morning. But I do it because that is how I feel best. It doesn’t matter if I am doing something mild like yoga/pilates or a long hike, or something aggressive like a fast & hard spin class or (when I used to run) a long training run for a race.

I also learned after putting on weight when training for a marathon that I did not need to eat nearly as much after a run as I thought (and that I felt hungrier than I was because I wasn’t used to it yet and was mostly thirsty). Also “carb loading” is some nonsense made up by the pasta companies (which I happily subscribed to, to the tune of 10 lbs gained while training!).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted and eat/drink after. I don’t know whether to believe it but I’ve read somewhere (don’t ask me to find the study) that one gets a mild metabolism boost from working out fasted and in the morning. But I do it because that is how I feel best. It doesn’t matter if I am doing something mild like yoga/pilates or a long hike, or something aggressive like a fast & hard spin class or (when I used to run) a long training run for a race.

I also learned after putting on weight when training for a marathon that I did not need to eat nearly as much after a run as I thought (and that I felt hungrier than I was because I wasn’t used to it yet and was mostly thirsty). Also “carb loading” is some nonsense made up by the pasta companies (which I happily subscribed to, to the tune of 10 lbs gained while training!).

IMU, "carb loading" is not mythical, but the popular understanding of it is off base. There's a fairly structured protocol that involves a taper (of exercise volume/intensity) and a period of intentional consumption of ample nutritious carbs. It's done leading up to a competition, and there's some evidence that it can improve glycogen storage in muscle by a small percentage, and potentially contribute (in a small way) to better performance.

It's not just some giant dump of refined carb calories the day before competing, or on the reg during training, it's more technical thing (and IMU not necessarily a calorie surplus when considered over a small number of days).

I'm familiar with the "giant pasta dinner the night before the race" idea - it's been a social event at some races I've been involved in, but that's more of a wink-wink, nod-nod kind of inside joke, not a serious effort by competitors who really can benefit from squeezing out that tiny percent of performance improvement from the actual protocols.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am no help, I drink an energy drink. It's the only one I allow myself all day :smiley:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

If this were true, elite endurance athletes wouldn't be doing it. It is however a very deliberate and managed thing. The general recommendation is to increase carbohydrates to around 8-12 grams per Kg of bodyweight starting three days before a major endurance activity, and to cut back on fats to compensate for the calories if need be while also scaling back training to maximize glycogen stores. Carbohydrates don't cause weight gain, excess calories from what you need causes weight gain.

I think the bigger issue for many at an amateur or recreational level is that they don't really understand it or how to properly implement and manage a carb load. It is also questionable at a recreational level if it's particularly necessary given that most recreational endurance athletes aren't looking to necessarily compete and podium.