Macro confusion

Options
PrincessPinky
PrincessPinky Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, admittedly I have no idea what a healthy breakdown of macros would be for a keto vs low carb diet. What is best for maximum weight loss? Right now my daily limit is set for 900 calories which seems low.

Replies

• allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like to use freedieting.com to calculate my macros. It has a variety of different calculators, idk for sure if they have a keto specific one but I'd bet they have a low carb one. You just put in your stats and preferences and it calculates a calorie level and macro breakdown for you.
    It's not an exact science, obv but I've found it to be a helpful starting point.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I'm not sure on the keto numbers as true keto is extremely difficult to adhere to, so I never bothered to really look into it.

I have done low(er) carb with good success in the past - it wasn't cheap to eat that way, but it worked well for my body. My goal was fewer than 100, max of 150 net carbs (net being key). I was pretty well satiated at that with my calorie goals/limits.

I just did some research on the various diets. I already knew from past experience that protein is the most satiating for me, fats are needed as a good portion of my macros or my weight loss will plateau, and I still need some carbs to support my workouts and sport(s).

It still took a couple weeks for my body to adjust, but I did. My calories were in the 1600-1700 ish range at that time, but my activity levels outside of the gym were pretty low (F, 40+, 5'7")
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    How did you arrive at a calorie goal of 900? That is not something MFP would assign as it is less than the recommended daily minimum for women.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Keto generally seems to be 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrates. It is very strict and VERY difficult for *most* people to eat that much fat. Low carb is much less specific and less difficult to follow. In general, low carb can mean any way of eating that includes less carbs than the average person eats.
  • cld1185
    cld1185 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look up in google images “optimal ketogenic living chart” keep net carbs at 20g and stick to the low end of your fat macro for weight loss
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Hello, admittedly I have no idea what a healthy breakdown of macros would be for a keto vs low carb diet. What is best for maximum weight loss? Right now my daily limit is set for 900 calories which seems low.

Do you want 'maximum' weight loss, or healthy and durable? Fast weight loss is not the best option, unless the health risk of fast weight loss is lower than the health risk of being overweight (for example very high blood pressure with a very high likelihood of causing a stroke in the near future).
    Better to lose slowly: less health risks and more likely to lead to long-term weight loss. Extreme diets are often temporary approaches until a goal weight is reached and then people go back to their old diet and gain back the weight.
    Whereas aiming for a slower rate of loss while gradually introducing lifestyle changes that can be maintained long-term is more likely to lead to successful long-term weight management.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Do you want 'maximum' weight loss, or healthy and durable? Fast weight loss is not the best option, unless the health risk of fast weight loss is lower than the health risk of being overweight (for example very high blood pressure with a very high likelihood of causing a stroke in the near future).

Better to lose slowly: less health risks and more likely to lead to long-term weight loss. Extreme diets are often temporary approaches until a goal weight is reached and then people go back to their old diet and gain back the weight.

Whereas aiming for a slower rate of loss while gradually introducing lifestyle changes that can be maintained long-term is more likely to lead to successful long-term weight management.

Yes, and in the case of fast weight loss in order to save your life, you should be doing this under a doctor's care.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

Unless you are very very short AND sedentary, you can lose weight with more than 1200 calories.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/