Weight loss after 110 pounds

Hello, over the past year and a half, I have been eating plant based for personal reasons but also to lose weight and have lost 110 pounds. My weight loss seems to have stopped pretty much but I had wanted to lose a little more (I don’t know a number). I know all the arguments about eating protein at each meal, building back my lost muscle and changing up my calorie intake to confuse the body. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has encountered a stall after a large loss and how did you keep the loss going until you felt you were finished?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I can’t help you, but it sure sounds like you’ve been doing great! This may belong in “success stories”. Congratulations!
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Congratulations! That is a great result. I have lost 70 lbs and had periodic stalls throughout for a few weeks or so a piece probably every 20/25 lbs. If you haven’t experienced something similar, or if this isn’t the same thing, then perhaps you are just so close to your healthy weight that your rate of loss is very slow if you are eating a healthy amount of calories. What was your previous pace of weight loss and what are your current statistics?

I personally don’t think it matters to weight loss long term if you are eating plant based or omnivorous. I’ve done both. I tend to have higher carb intake eating plant based which results in higher short term water retention which masks fat loss at least for a while, so there may also be some of that going on if your experiences are similar to mine.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I lost 170lb then got stuck before gaining a little back

I had to have a real hard look at what was going on in my life

I had drifted into a relationship that was making me miserable.
    My activity levels day to day had gotten lower from me being low

I was eyeballing portions instead of weighing and they had crept up
    I always have ice cream from little home made places while hiking where one scoop was more like a scoop and a half and did I really need a 3 scooper

So it's back to basics. Weighing everything, logging it immediately instead of later and getting up and about rather than sitting
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Hello, over the past year and a half, I have been eating plant based for personal reasons but also to lose weight and have lost 110 pounds. My weight loss seems to have stopped pretty much but I had wanted to lose a little more (I don’t know a number). I know all the arguments about eating protein at each meal, building back my lost muscle and changing up my calorie intake to confuse the body. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has encountered a stall after a large loss and how did you keep the loss going until you felt you were finished?

Great work! Congrats!

Would you say you are down to your last 10-20 pounds? This can be super slow.

Are you using a weight trending app like Happy Scale or Libra? You may be making more progress than you think. After such a large loss, your weekly weight loss will be much slower.

Also, now might be a good time to take a diet break.

I'm sure we have threads on that and perhaps someone will be along to post a link.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    If you've been in a calorie deficit for 1.5 years it would serve you well to take a diet break and go to maintenance for a bit to reset hormones, etc. This may also be an issue where continued weight loss isn't really going to get you where you want to be aesthetically and to get to that place you need to hit the resistance training.