Eat - hungry - Eat - hungry....

Options
Anyone else on this type of cycle?

I eat a big meal (like my 500 calorie lunch) and I feel happy and full and sated for a little bit but then I get hungry again, like REALLY hungry, so I eat a good snack (recently, an apple) and now I'm hungry again, just an hour later!

I have to wonder if I'm actually hungry or just bored, but my body wants food - even though it's not growling, it feels empty...

So does anyone else have this issue? Does it mean I should up calories (I'm at 1550 a day right now)? I have been overeating my calories recently already - and I'm seeing that effect on the scale, but at less than 1 lb I still call it maintenance...

Thoughts? commiseration?

Replies

• trish858
    Options
    I had that issue when I first started losing weight. I think my body was used to me always eating so it was hard for it to accept that I was not feeding it all the time anymore. Now I drink a lot more water and I am not hungry all the time because it is used to not eating all the time. sometimes your body is just dehydrated and if you drink more water you won't feel hungry all the time.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your meals look like. Are you incorporating lots of fiberous veggies? eating lots of protein and some healthy fats? Those things help you feel & stay full. Drinking lots of water?

Some days are like that though even when I'm eating well. I just feel like I can't satisfy my hunger no matter what I do. I usually exceed my calorie limit on those days and then get back on track the next day.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    No, because I eat protein as a snack. Greek yogurt, hummus, cheese. I also load up on protein at meal time too. Give protein a try, see if that helps. An apple is total carb and will burn off quickly.
  • aunt_hbomb
    Options
    Add fiber to you diet. Choose foods with higher fiber which makes you feel fuller longer.

I chew a lot of gum which distracts me from the feelings/thoughts of hunger.
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its mental too. You're not *really* hungry, just programmed to eat at say noon, and again at 3, and then at 6. I'm having a hard time deciphering when I am actually hungry as compared to when my body just thinks 'it's time' to eat.

Give yourself some time!
  • jennwilson61210
    Options
    I often have that same problem. However, I am very stubborn and have refused to give in to the temptation of eating. In my case, eating is an emotional "cane" that helps me deal. When I set my mind to it and know I have a very specific goal, I just dont take extra food to work or keep alot of foods that are "snacking foods" in my house. I think you need to really decide if you are hungry, which may just be your body's response to dieting in general, or whether its a nored crutch. Then you can decide what you want to do about it!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    maybe you could try eating smaller meals and more snacks? a lot of my overeating came from liking the actual process of eating, so now I eat low-calorie things pretty often and it helps a lot :)
  • stephaniej05
    Options
    No, because I eat protein as a snack. Greek yogurt, hummus, cheese. I also load up on protein at meal time too. Give protein a try, see if that helps. An apple is total carb and will burn off quickly.

Dito! Protein stays with you longer
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a calorie issue as much as a food combination issue. Are you eating foods that digest easily/quickly? That could be part of the issue.... Are you sleep deprived? Is your body demanding energy because you're tired? Are you drinking enough water?

I have days like these and it is incredibly annoying because the feeling of hunger just takes over my day! Protein usually keeps me satisfied longer as well as high fiber foods. Stay hydrated and get enough sleep.... that may not help you today, but something to consider for the future.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are really hungry, then I'd suggest you listen to your body and eat. But if you can't be sure if you are truly hungry or just want to eat for some other reason, I'd suggest maybe eating less calories at meal time (when you have the 500) and more at snack time. Maybe have 300 calories at each time as see if that helps.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I have tried upping fiber (this morning was blueberries, fiber 1 cereal - still hungry a bit later)
    I have tried cheese and greek yogurt - I can eat cheese all day, I love it, and the greek yogurt works for about an hour...
    I drink water constantly
    I chew gum but I worry about my teeth?? even if it is sugar free....

Usually my meals are less than 500 - my lunch was a salad, soup, slice of bread so higher than usual

I think Rikki did hit on something that I'm sleep deprived right now and I'm also stressed out...

I think limiting access to food is one thing I'll just have to do more of, so if I eat all my snacks early (like I did today), it's gum for the rest of the time...
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    as folks have mentioned, protein, protein and, you guessed it, more protein. soup, salad, bread...um, where's the protein? on top of that, the sodium in the soup probably didn't help.

in addition to protein, focus on carbs that have a low glycemic index value. berries are great. raspberries are simply AWESOME with their calorie count and fiber content....in addition to antioxidents. leafy greens are great.
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    Can you tell me if you follow the 50/25/25 Carb/protein/fat ratio? I up my proteins also, and decrease fats and carbs.
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    Also, if you chew gum constantly, that will definitely keep you hungry because the chewing action and saliva trick the body into thinking it it getting food; when the food doesn't come, it sends a signal to the brain that there is no food, so you feel hungry.
  • cag1127
    Options
    I have taught myself to not eat til im full. My body has gotten used to the feeling, now I automatically stop by using the serving sizes. I also take a prenatal vitamin. It fills in the gaps. My favorite snack is a half bag of frozen broccoli :)