Yoyo Dieting in the Opposite Direction

Options
I feel like I'm yoyo dieting, but I'm technically still in a weight deficient. Currently, I am losing weight, but looking at the past, I'm afraid of giving up and going back up again.

So I'm not sure if I'm on the right path, or if I need to change something to make me really stick with weight loss. We're already several years down the road now, and taking that into consideration, I'm nowhere actually near reaching my goal.

q2v1wfnhlpe8.png

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It looks like the pandemic derailed you, which happened to a lot of us. As you approach where you formerly made it (228?) maybe start to consider what makes it possible or likely your weight will go back up. I like to take breaks to eat at maintenance — either one day a week or waiting and taking several weeks off at once.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    You look like you're on the right path. Just had a rough year, as we all did, but it looks like you got back on track. You can do it! You've done it before. Trust yourself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    When I lost my weight (80ish pounds) I had to come to terms with a lot of emotional baggage.

I continue to acquire emotional events but I've learned to keep a close eye on my habits and my weight. It's pretty easy to fall into a bag of chips to "drown" the sorrows of the day, but that bag of chips doesn't solve any problems.

I had to find other ways to deal with the chaos of daily living, and there are many things to try. Start digging into the why.

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    When I lost my weight (80ish pounds) I had to come to terms with a lot of emotional baggage.

I continue to acquire emotional events but I've learned to keep a close eye on my habits and my weight. It's pretty easy to fall into a bag of chips to "drown" the sorrows of the day, but that bag of chips doesn't solve any problems.

I had to find other ways to deal with the chaos of daily living, and there are many things to try. Start digging into the why.

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.

Yup.

A lot of people eat for emotional reasons, and if they don't build more resilient replacement coping skills, then trying to "diet" just robs them of their go-to coping mechanism for emotional distress.

If you learn healthier coping skills, then losing weight is much less difficult and stressful.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,666 Member
    Options
    Double whammy as immediate post loss hormonally assisted rebound also makes you more primed to overeat if you can't manage to clamp down on things in the months immediately following successful weight loss. Whether you address root causes or not, you have to successfully develop resilient coping strategies and keep them in play moving forward.