Losing then Gaining then Losing again...

Options
HRHJoDee
HRHJoDee Posts: 20 Member
edited July 2022 in Success Stories
I am a female in my 60's, and 5'8" tall. I started my journey in 2021 at 240 pounds
Lost 63 pounds from eating small healthy meals between 10;00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., and walking every day, and got down to 177 pounds.

Then in 2022 gained back 25 pounds and saw the scale inch back up to 202 pounds through binge eating, eating big meals and eating all day long and not walking very often;

Now am down a bit to 197.6 pounds by cutting way way down on the fat/oil, dairy, pasta & sugar and have gone on long long walks again every day in the last week.
I want to get down to 150 pounds, ultimately.

Anyone else go through this up and down yo-yo? How do you stay motivated so that you don't sabotage your weight loss by gaining it again?

Replies

• aginghealthier
    aginghealthier Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It seems like I have been playing the yo-yo game for most of my life... I am tired of it. This time around I am determined to break the cycle and being in my 60's also, I think I am hard headed enough to do it. That is my motivation, although if I see myself slipping, I open the book "Thin for Life" by Anne M. Fletcher and read a few chapters. This has helped me tremendously. By reading stories of 'Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept It Off', it keeps the reasons to continue this journey fresh in my mind. I wish you luck on your journey!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    When I read your post I can see that you know exactly the formula that works for you. Walking and keeping your eating window limited so you don't eat all day.. and avoiding giant meals.

So.. when you stray from that you will gain. I'm the same way.. for me.. drinking during the week and not walking will start the creep every single time.
  • lisamarieishere
    lisamarieishere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hiawassee88 I love what you have to say & find you very inspiring. You make complete sense to me!
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    Hiawassee88 I love what you have to say & find you very inspiring. You make complete sense to me!

selena-gomez-blow-kiss.gif
  • helensouter4105
    helensouter4105 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m about to turn 50 and plateaued at 163 pounds (5’3). Watched “That Sugar Movie” and gave up refined sugar on 5 July. Got really sick for the first week or so, apparently it’s low blood sugar and it makes you nauseous and dizzy. But since then it’s been easy and I’ve lost 4.4 pounds and I haven’t even been exercising as much as I usually do, not counting calories and enjoying things like bread and potatoes. I eat fruit if I get a sugar craving or have a cup of tea (with no sugar), the weight is just falling off.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day after gaining 25 lbs back a few years ago. At least I know where I am and can get hold to it before more than a few lbs shows up. I also gave up sugar, read Vera Tarman website on giving up sugar and my cravings left me. I have stayed the same way for the last year, no ups and downs on the scale which has been great.
  • mortgagegirl1
    mortgagegirl1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I joined a different program last July and lost 37 pounds. Part of the daily lessons were weighing yourself everyday which I found very frustrating, however I also learned a lot from this practice. In the past, I would lose and then start gaining and avoid the scales for months at a time and when I was finally so uncomfortable in my clothes and ready to face the reality of starting another diet, I would then weigh myself. So for me, even though I have been back sliding since my vacation (last November), I still force myself to weigh every week. I'm back on MFP and logging food and trying to increase my movements. It's a life long challenge, but I'm always open to learn new things about what works for me.
  • 3rdtimelosesit
    3rdtimelosesit Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    HRHJoDee wrote: »
    I am a female in my 60's, and 5'8" tall. I started my journey in 2021 at 240 pounds
    Lost 63 pounds from eating small healthy meals between 10;00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., and walking every day, and got down to 177 pounds.

Then in 2022 gained back 25 pounds and saw the scale inch back up to 202 pounds through binge eating, eating big meals and eating all day long and not walking very often;

Now am down a bit to 197.6 pounds by cutting way way down on the fat/oil, dairy, pasta & sugar and have gone on long long walks again every day in the last week.
    I want to get down to 150 pounds, ultimately.

Anyone else go through this up and down yo-yo? How do you stay motivated so that you don't sabotage your weight loss by gaining it again?

This happened to me.....twice. Lost 95 lbs only to regain. Lost it again only to regain it all plus another 40 because of covid and mobility issues caused by sciatica, periformis muscle inflamation and severely tightened hip flexors. This time I plan on it being different since I'm calorie counting which allows me to eat anything I want as long as my calorie intake stays within the limits. Before when I lost the weight, I used diets that did work but only but severely restricting foods. When you reach goal you add back in. You also add back the weight. So far I've dropped 18 lbs since May 12th eating what I want but weighing and counting calories in MFP. I'm motivated by the continuing weight loss, being able to eat or drink what I want by ensuring to stick to the daily calorie limit. Motivation has to come from within yourself. I just try to remember how much better I feel from a couple months ago. If I feel this good after just this weight drop, how good am I going to feel when it's all gone. And I can continue to eat/drink what I want within limits. I motivate myself by staying within self imposed guidelines. Only person I hurt by breaking those guidelines will be myself. I love myself too much to give in to small indulges when the gains are too great.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Am here for ya for support :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!