Wisdom teeth removal food

Options
Hi, I'm on a LOW CARB diet, and I was wondering what would be good to eat after getting my wisdom teeth out....obviously nothing i'd have to chew...but since I wouldn't be allowed to exercise for a week or two I would at least like to stay on track with my diet.

I'm really worried about this and have been putting off seeing my dentist because I don't want to ruin my momentum!

Replies

• kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    are jello and pudding low carb?
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Honestly all I ate after my wisdom teeth removal was mashed potatoes and jello/pudding/ice cream. I had all 4 teeth extracted at once and I couldn't take any pain meds (they made me throw up and throwing up after having 4 teeth extracted is one of the most torturous experiences ever lol). I did lose a few pounds because even eating those things, I couldn't eat much.
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    0% fat greek yogurt sweetened with Steevia, and add vanilla extract and cinnamon for flavour without carbs!!
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    also scrambled eggs shouldn't be too hard to eat with a sore mouth
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Your oral surgeon should give you something that lists the foods you can digest without much chewing. I'd stick to what they say.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I honestly ate like normal after I had my wisdom teeth out( I went home and had a turkey sandwich because I was starving after and no amount of mashed potatoes was going to satisfy!)... I just needed to be careful to chew with mainly my front teeth and to rinse really well after.

Don't keep putting off the dentist because of your diet.. thats just silly. If you don't get this taken care of, they can get infected or crowd the other teeth causing them to shift.. and then your going to have more problems to deal with.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Soup.
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt, egg whites, protein shakes...etc.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    You can make a blender vegetable soup. Steam whatever veggies you want, puree them in the blender with some stock or broth. Season & reheat to taste. Warning: be careful to only fill your blender half full if your veggies are steaming hot, otherwise you will blow the lid off your blender and could burn yourself.

Also, protein shakes, and smoothies.

I found that after a day or two, I could chew very carefully with my front teeth.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I had all four out at once and ate pudding and applesauce for about 4 days. On day five I started adding other things back in, but since they actually had to cut my mouth open to get them, it was about 10 days before I could have a true meal.
  • AlohaCarol58
    Options
    Eggs - a veggie omelet or frittata, or scrambled eggs. The protein will satisfy you. I'd say smoothie, but they won't want you to suck on a straw with the stitches. Make some sugar free puddings, jello's, and have yogurt and eggs on hand. You'll only be on the mend for a few days, it's not bad. I had all 4 impacted teeth done at the same time - call it a rotten weekend. Good luck!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 teeth extracted at once and I couldn't take any pain meds (they made me throw up and throwing up after having 4 teeth extracted is one of the most torturous experiences ever lol). I did lose a few pounds because even eating those things, I couldn't eat much.

Me too -- and I did throw up afterward, and YES, it did SUCK. I agree, too -- I didn't have an appetite afterward because the pain was pretty bad for about 5 days. I wouldn't worry about your momentum, you'll get it back quickly. Good luck!
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I ate jars of applesauce and some yogurt for about 2 days. Then I worked my way up to peanut butter sandwiches, so you could just have peanut butter. I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth taken out, and I couldn't have anything hot for 2 days - I tried to have DD coffee and I started bleeding, so beware of hot soup - maybe turn it into gazpacho.
  • mondeflottant
    mondeflottant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Soup warm or cold, smoothies, mashed potatoes, yoghurt...
    My biggest problem was that I've swallowed too much blood which gave me nauseas, so I needed some thick food and ate limp bread (white loaf) and cream cheese.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You can make a blender vegetable soup. Steam whatever veggies you want, puree them in the blender with some stock or broth. Season & reheat to taste. Warning: be careful to only fill your blender half full if your veggies are steaming hot, otherwise you will blow the lid off your blender and could burn yourself.

I found that after a day or two, I could chew very carefully with my front teeth.

I have to ask... did u learn that blender thing the hard way? (the image of that made me giggle! :laugh: )

Anyway, great tips!

I wouldn't think it would take two weeks, though, to get back to exercising. I would say 1 week tops. Even after getting dry sockets (Ouch! The worst!), I believe I was good to go after a week (but, I had mine removed a loooong time ago.)
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

I have to ask... did u learn that blender thing the hard way? (the image of that made me giggle! :laugh: )

I'd heard that advice before but I didn't remember it until I blew up a tomato sauce in my face. I ALWAYS remember it now!! I wish I had video of me and my sister and the things that came out of our mouths that night. Fortunately, we didn't get hurt and nothing stained. Go ahead and laugh, just don't forget!
  • glitterpiss
    Options
    When I had mine out I had a REALLY hard time getting anywhere close to my daily recommended values of anything other than Oxycontin. I would say just eat what ever you can and don't worry too much about it until the pain goes down enough to start eating solids again. You don't want to not be consuming enough calories or vitamins or whatever, your body needs help fighting off infection and healing those wounds. Multivitamins are nice too. I mostly ate pudding and ice cream for the first two weeks, because my jaw was broken and it wasn't healing right. I was only eating a few hundred calories a day, and it was ****ty and I don't recommend it.

So yeah, protein shakes, blended veggie soups, pudding, mashed potatoes if you can manage that.
  • glitterpiss
    Options
    When I had mine out I had a REALLY hard time getting anywhere close to my daily recommended values of anything other than Oxycontin. I would say just eat what ever you can and don't worry too much about it until the pain goes down enough to start eating solids again. You don't want to not be consuming enough calories or vitamins or whatever, your body needs help fighting off infection and healing those wounds. Multivitamins are nice too. I mostly ate pudding and ice cream for the first two weeks, because my jaw was broken and it wasn't healing right. I was only eating a few hundred calories a day, and it was ****ty and I don't recommend it.

So yeah, protein shakes, blended veggie soups, pudding, mashed potatoes if you can manage that.

And I just realized that MFP edits out "swear" words. lmao.
  • Darkness2120
    Options
    all 4 removed 2 years ago, survived on soup and high cal protein shakes for a few days and vicodin was my best friend for the first day. After day 2, immediately back in the gym.