First Birthday Party Ideas :)

Options
jennajava
jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
My daughter is five months old, but I want her to have an EPIC first birthday party. I'm going to start planning NOW! :) Any ideas/suggestions?

Replies

• Elaineheikura
    Elaineheikura Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cinderella!
  • JanetTerry
    JanetTerry Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    CHocolate cake for sure because it makes for GREAT pictures of messy face!!
    Other than that, keep it simple. Your little one wont remember it at all. :) (from a mom of four kids)
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    cupcakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my daughter had her 1st birthday party on Sept 4th
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Our theme was hot pink and zebra print. I made a lot of the decorations, but found some awesome zebra print plates, cups & napkins online. We had bubbles outside for the kiddos. Of course most were too little for games. We had cheese, meat, crackers, fruit with dip. We made fruit kabobs and stuck them into a half upside down watermelon. We had cupcakes that matched the theme too with a zebra cupcake stand. all the kids got goodie bags with bubbles, maracas and sunglasses. It was fun!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I would not go too big on this once either. Wait until they are a little older. My son will be 3 in October and he does not remember his first or second. We just did a small family party with "1" being the theme.
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    I brought a ton of her toys to the hall where we had it to keep the kids occupied. also my sister brought this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jump-O-Lene-Inflatable-Bounce/10727425 and it was a huge hit! the kids had so much fun. I've been to parties where there wasn't a ton to do and it was sort of boring for the kids since they like to play.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    She is not going to remember her 1st birthday...
    I would make sure she has her own cake or large cupcake to eat....all by herself and take a lot of pictures.
  • JMuzzy
    Options
    i bet you can base a great theme off of the supplies from this website (www.1stwishes.com). they sell stuff specifically for 1st birthdays!
    <3
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    I agree she won't remember it but I still went sort of big.. 65 people came. She had a huge cupcake cake and there were reg and mini sizes for everyone else
  • JMuzzy
    Options
    i also found this:

BABY'S 1ST BIRTHDAY PARTY TIPS

When should I have my party?

Keep the party short 1 to 1-1/12 hours is about the most a one year old can handle without getting over stimulated and possibly cranky.
    Schedule around nap times. Late morning, allows for a morning nap or late afternoon to allow for an afternoon nap.
    Weekend parties usually work better for parents and other adults.
    How many guest should I invite?

Most first birthday parties are for the adults in your child's life (family and friends). Invite the most special friends and relatives.
    Keep it to a manageable number of guests for you and your space. Keep in mind, that you will be caring for your little one at the same time.
    If you intend to invite other babies or toddlers 1- 3 guests is ideal with a maximum of 5.
    Parents of little ones should be included as guests so they can assist their children and you if necessary.
    Should I serve food?

Although it is not necessary to provide a meal, finger foods are always nice. Especially with babies.
    Check with ALL parents regarding food allergies and safety. Keep packaging fun but safe.
    What else should I keep in mind?

Be flexible! All parents know that children and their behaviors are not predictable. Un-scheduled rests, tears, accidents etc. are to be expected at a baby's first birthday. Just relax and go with the flow.
    To help you be flexible...arrange for help from a reliable friend or family member who can watch your child or entertain while you change a diaper, pick up a spill etc.
    If you plan on having children at the party keep plenty of toys and activities available to keep them occupied.
    Baby-proof the party space.
    Parents are often looking for a healthy alternative to the standard, birthday cake for their baby's first cake.
    Remember, this is a day to celebrate the birth of your child. Keep the party simple so you can do just that. Plan some special quiet time at the end of the day just for Mom, Dad, and baby.
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    i bet you can base a great theme off of the supplies from this website (www.1stwishes.com). they sell stuff specifically for 1st birthdays!
    <3
    that's the site I used.. :)

http://www.1stwishes.com/Girls-Lil-Cupcake-1st-Birthday-Ultimate-Party-Pack/62013/PartyKitDetail.aspx

plus I got 20% off and free shipping.
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My Idea? Don't go crazy. Make it something Adults will Enjoy. Child is one and won't remember any of it. The first birthday I did for my son was age 3. We went all out and he loved it. If the child is one, give child a cake and let them go nuts. Record it for posterity.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I would not go too big on this once either. Wait until they are a little older. My son will be 3 in October and he does not remember his first or second. We just did a small family party with "1" being the theme.

Keep it simple is my suggestion. For both of my kids we had very small family gatherings to celebrate their first birthday. Some grocery stores offer a free individual cake for babies celebrating their first birthday. Happy planning!
  • TMcBooty
    Options
    My daughter is five months old, but I want her to have an EPIC first birthday party. I'm going to start planning NOW! :) Any ideas/suggestions?

if you want epic, go epic.
  • amazon75
    Options
    Every year my niece has the same party and it's always a huge hit. People actually start calling to find out when the party is in the middle of February (her birthday is March 3). I like to call it her own personal carnival.

Bounce houses, pony rides, train rides, face painting, dj, candy apples, popcorn, cotton candy and snow cones. Last year they had a table set up for the kids to decorate their own cupcakes. They serve things like hamburgers, hot dogs, fruit salad and chips.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I LOVED birthdayexpress.com when my boys were younger. Even now, at 37 years old, I'm still head-over-heels for balloons...may I never outgrow balloons. So I always did their birthday parties up in style, with matching everything and lotsa-lotsa balloons and streamers.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Every year my niece has the same party and it's always a huge hit. People actually start calling to find out when the party is in the middle of February (her birthday is March 3). I like to call it her own personal carnival.

Bounce houses, pony rides, train rides, face painting, dj, candy apples, popcorn, cotton candy and snow cones. Last year they had a table set up for the kids to decorate their own cupcakes. They serve things like hamburgers, hot dogs, fruit salad and chips.

I would have loved that kind of party!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Other than that, keep it simple. Your little one wont remember it at all. :) (from a mom of four kids)

^^^ This.

I have great pics of the messy faces. The kiddos don't care - so 1 year old parties are mostly for the adults and cute pics to giggle about in the future. Unless you have a lot to spread around (in which case - can I have some?) - save the dough and start up a college savings plan for the little whipper-snapper! That will be worth more to them in 17 years than pictures of great decorations and a giant jumping castle.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Its a first birthday. its more to show off your kid to all your friends and family. I didn't care so much about a cake, but made sure I had a well stocked bar and adult food.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I threw my son a Dr. Seuss birthday party for his first. I covered all the tables in bright table cloths, had 2 Dr. Seuss books at each table with Sharpies for people to write him messages in them instead of having a guest book. All of the food was created around things from the books... we had Mini Ham Salad Sandwiches and deviled eggs died green for "Green Eggs & Ham", mini pita pockets filled with turkey salad for "There's a Wocket in my Pocket". I took styrofoam cones and cheese cubes on toothpicks and created Cheese Trees from "Fox in Socks". We had animal crackers for "If I Ran the Circus", mixed nuts for "Horton Hears a Who", a fruit tray for the Truffula Fruit... I can't remember the rest. Lol. It was all labled so that people understood it, with a print out of the book cover it went with. Let's see.... we had spiral decorations in all kinds of colors hanging from the ceiling. And my grandma made him his cake. It was a 3D cat in the hat face... here's a link to the cake I got the idea from...

http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a5924ef0970b013486783ea1970c-pi

the party turned out great and everyone loved it! As favors (which we didn't do) you could do, for kids, the little cardboard Dr. Seuss books. Message me if you need more details or want to see my personal pictures from our party :-)