Not Hungry

Ok, so I am a big eater, I love food, all types of food. pizza fries cheese all of it! I have however been eating better lately, cut out all fast food (actually did that about 5 years ago), stopped eating pizza and burgers often, no more potatoe chips. Even with that I still was hungry, ate chicen breast, sandwhiches, whole grains, yogurt... etc. However the past 3 or four days I have been having a really REALLY hard time making it to even 1000 cals. I'm not the type of person who cuts out eating to loose the weight. My question is should I continue forcing myself to eat to get above 1000 (my daily limit is 1200), eat higher cal foods to get up there or just let it go and eat what I want when I am hungry even if I only top out at 700-800 cals a day.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Yes, you should eat more. If you are not hunger or regularly have a hard time eating enough, change what you are eating and eat more calorie dense foods

Try having nuts, seeds, and/or dehydrated fruit as a snack. Add olive oil to soups, sauces, and/or salads. Add avocado to salads or sandwiches. Have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water. Drink more of your calories. add nut butters to existing snacks. Eat full fat versions of foods including milk products, salad dressings and avoid lite, and diet foods.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Yes, you should eat more. If you are not hunger or regularly have a hard time eating enough, change what you are eating and eat more calorie dense foods

Try having nuts, seeds, and/or dehydrated fruit as a snack. Add olive oil to soups, sauces, and/or salads. Add avocado to salads or sandwiches. Have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water. Drink more of your calories. add nut butters to existing snacks. Eat full fat versions of foods including milk products, salad dressings and avoid lite, and diet foods.

This.
  • Anything under 1200 cal your puting ur body in stavation mood. you should up the cal to 1200 .
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member

This.

Listen to this wise person and these two wise kittehs.

Eat.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    your metabolism is so screwed up your body has forgotten what hungry feels like...same thing happened to me.

you've got to force yourself to eat...set an alarm every 3 hours and eat something (healthy of course).
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    I went into starvation mode because I wasn't eating enough and it is hard to break out of without suddenly adding 20 pounds. For sure Juices are an easy way to up the calories and still drink something natural especially fresh squeezed juices. Mix it up with some veggie juices to cut down on the sugar content of the fruit juices...

Also peanut butter/ almond butter/ sunflower butter good food with non animal fats- high protein and they taste good. Two normal table spoon fulls is around 180-200 calories. eat it right off the spoon. MMM MMM good

Beware of walnuts. They are really calorie dense.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    I went into starvation mode because I wasn't eating enough and it is hard to break out of without suddenly adding 20 pounds. For sure Juices are an easy way to up the calories and still drink something natural especially fresh squeezed juices. Mix it up with some veggie juices to cut down on the sugar content of the fruit juices...

Also peanut butter/ almond butter/ sunflower butter good food with non animal fats- high protein and they taste good. Two normal table spoon fulls is around 180-200 calories. eat it right off the spoon. MMM MMM good

Beware of walnuts. They are really calorie dense.

Just had peanut better toast! Was good!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I need to do some research and find real facts on starvation mode. Seems like that terms gets used an awful lot, but it doesn't seem to occur in a medical setting (like when someone has had gastric bypass surgery).

Doing a cursory search for it comes up with tons of links, but all seem to be from average people, not medical experts, writing blogs or articles. I can't seem to find anything beyond anecdotal evidence that supports and denies the fact or myth of starvation mode.

If it's real, how do the folks on shows like Biggest Loser lose 5-10+ pounds in a single week? From my completely non-medical point of view, it seems to me that physiologically, it can't happen until the body has depleted itself of all the fat stores it has, ie. an overweight or obese person cannot experience starvation mode because their body still has plenty of fuel stores to subsist on.

Must look into things further. I'd love to find a medical study done by doctors/researchers that sheds more light on things.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I need to do some research and find real facts on starvation mode. Seems like that terms gets used an awful lot, but it doesn't seem to occur in a medical setting (like when someone has had gastric bypass surgery).

Doing a cursory search for it comes up with tons of links, but all seem to be from average people, not medical experts, writing blogs or articles. I can't seem to find anything beyond anecdotal evidence that supports and denies the fact or myth of starvation mode.

If it's real, how do the folks on shows like Biggest Loser lose 5-10+ pounds in a single week? From my completely non-medical point of view, it seems to me that physiologically, it can't happen until the body has depleted itself of all the fat stores it has, ie. an overweight or obese person cannot experience starvation mode because their body still has plenty of fuel stores to subsist on.

Must look into things further. I'd love to find a medical study done by doctors/researchers that sheds more light on things.

nope, i've been in starvation mode for sure...i was only eating about 800 calories a day net last year and my metabolism came to a hault...been screwed up every since (not pooing for a week, muscle mass loss, never hungry, tired, etc). The ppl on biggest loser have lots of weight to lose so they can handle a higher deficit; i'm in the normal BMI range and my body struggles if I have a deficit that exceeds 500 from my maintenance calories. From my experience, a 300 calorie deficit has been working well. I've done tons of research on this to try and fix it so if you have further questions, let me know!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    i'm in the normal BMI range and my body struggles if I have a deficit that exceeds 500 from my maintenance calories. From my experience, a 300 calorie deficit has been working well. I've done tons of research on this to try and fix it so if you have further questions, let me know!

But that's what I'm thinking, that it is possible for those with a normal BMI to experience starvation mode, since their bodies don't have the adequate fat stores to support a huge caloric deficit. But those who are overweight/obese do have those fat stores, and aren't as likely to hit a starvation mode wall.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Thank everyone for all there help, my appitite seems to be back a bit. Like I said, this isn't a common thing for me, I was just wondering when it happens 2 or 3 days in a row (stress related for me) If I should force myself to eat.
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    I remember seeing a study where they fed rats 1/3 of the calories of what a rat should eat and they lived a lot longer. Then the scientist tried doing it as well, but i don't think he lasted long. The study basically said that severe caloric restrictions = longer life. I know it's irrelevant to the post but I thought it was interesting.