Need encouragement and support, HELP

Options
I weigh 286 lbs. and need to lose at least 100 or more. My body hurts and very tired. This is not my first time trying to lose weight but I feel that its a struggle when you go back to doing it again. I don't know where to turn and I want to enjoy spending time with my grandchildren and helping my children raise theirs. Well, first off in the year 2000, I had joined weight watchers that helped me lose 90lbs. As the years have gone by I have been under depression that made me gain weight again. Now, its to much that I can handle.

Replies

• skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the big number...yet. Today, let's focus on losing 5 lbs. You can do this. Today, change one thing in your life (one less diet coke, one more glass of water, 100 extra steps). Tomorrow, add another change. The cumulative changes will carry you through this journey. It's overwhelming to think about the end result (I have 150+ to go) so focus on small goals.

10011502.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place and off to a good start. You posted, you reached out, and you admitted to yourself what you need to lose. Now take one step at a time and do what you know needs to be done. There are thousands of people on this site going through the same difficulties you face. You can do this!
  • natalietowens
    Options
    You have the desire now start small and work your way up. Go take a 5 min walk today and 10 min tomorrow and you will be surprised.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Make sure you add some exercise, even if it's very moderate at first. The endorphin boost and burning off of cortesol (a hormone that causes stress when it builds up) can really help. At times, I have worked out with only these two benefits in mind - knowing that even if I see no change in the scale or in my clothing size (in the short term), I will always get that instant gratification. Getting outside for a walk can really help too - especially if your life keeps you indoors most of the time.
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can do this - you've done it before. Dont think about your numbers: think about changing your life and the way you eat. You're off to a great start, keep going!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like a new friend!
  • valentglad
    Options
    thank you I know I don't drink soda. I gave that up like 4 years ago. I also drink water where I hated water and wouldn't drink it. But now I drink more water then anything.
  • crazedmomof5
    Options
    Welcome Yes losing weight is very hard but just remember to take it one day at a time! I need to lose about 100 pounds myself and just started on this journey after not doing any exercise and well I was an emotional eater as well. So I know how you feel. This is a great site everyone has been the best in helping support and encourage me! so again Welcome I hope this site helps you as much as it has me! Feel free to add me if you would like i am always looking for new friends and especially ones that are in the same boat as me! Hope you have a great day! you have come to the right place!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I live with chronic depression and have found that eating the right foods and exercise actually HELP with the depression. The depression causes most of my body aches, so if I can get past the pain for a few minutes, I find that I actually build a tolerance and my body doesn't hurt as much.

Don't let depression be your excuse that hinders you from losing the weight to keep yourself healthy. This whole lifestyle choice is about choosing fitness...both physical AND mental!

You'll have your ups and downs, such is the life of someone with depression, but I find that journaling about those times in my MFP blog definitely helps me find the pattern of behavior that got me here in the first place.I've found that some of my behaviors that tend to go hand in hand with my depression are actually exacerbated by the way that I was eating!

You can do this! (Feel free to add me if you need the occasional kick in the butt. I wear size 10's. heehee)
  • trailgetter
    Options
    You can do this. You can wake up each day and commit to eating better and feeling better. We are all here to help you.

When you feel stressed, go for a walk/swim/email someone.

We support you here and I can vouch for all the wonderful ladies that help me stay focused every day.

Add me as a friend if you like!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It may seem too much to handle but it isn't. As others have said, take it in small steps. Have you picked up a pound of flour or sugar and felt just how heavy a pound is? When you do, you will realise that every single pound you lose is actually quite a big deal. It's one less large bag of flour to carry around every day, less pressure on your heart and your joints. Every pound is a significant amount. Celebrate every pound you lose and don't worry about what's left. You can do this and if you ever feel that you can't or that you are struggling - shout! We're all here to help :flowerforyou:
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    It may seem too much to handle but it isn't. As others have said, take it in small steps. Have you picked up a pound of flour or sugar and felt just how heavy a pound is? When you do, you will realise that every single pound you lose is actually quite a big deal. It's one less large bag of flour to carry around every day, less pressure on your heart and your joints. Every pound is a significant amount. Celebrate every pound you lose and don't worry about what's left. You can do this and if you ever feel that you can't or that you are struggling - shout! We're all here to help :flowerforyou:

What she said. Very nicely too.

One step at a time. Literally. If you fall, we are here to help pick you up. :smile:
  • valentglad
    Options
    I want to thank everyone who has given me some advice, I see this is the place I want to be and here I go. Today, is my day to begin my new life of proving my health.
  • sheamichael
    Options
    Eating clean helps tremendously (don't have to follow it completely but just eliminating processed foods makes a world of difference) check out www.thegraciouspantry.com she has wonderful recipies!

It helps not only your body but mental it clears you :-) Small steps is so true. I have found everyone on here is so supportive and helpful. I do not have that around meso glad we can all be here together supporting each other!