When you run out of calories but get the munchies

Options
When you've consumed all your calories for the day but get the munchies anyway, what do you do? Do you eat something, do you borrow your calories from the next day, or do you go to bed hungry? If you're really determined to keep your calorie intake down, can't you just eat some vegetables? They're low in calories, but the fiber is surprisingly filling.

No, I don't believe in hard calorie limits, and I don't even bother keeping track on most days. If I get the munchies, I eat something. I do know that avoiding all junk foods and restaurant foods for over 2 years has enhanced my summer weight loss AND reduced my winter weight gain.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Since I eat whatever I want, I do track calories. It's not often I'll go over, but if I do, I just either do a little extra exercise or reduce my calories a little more the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    It depends how I feel. Sometimes I'll decide to have something more to eat. Sometimes I'll decide to ignore the feelings to eat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Anything below maintenance calories is weight loss. That can be on average over a week, if that works better. Slavish precision about calorie level every single day isn't essential for progress - it just affects rate of progress. Sometimes actual delay is worth it, even.

That said, your post was confusingly phrased, to me. "Munchies" to me is feeling snackish or crave-y, but it's a different thing to be actually hungry or even be affected by realistic (not just snackish) appetite signals.

Personally, I try to establish routine eating patterns that avoid hunger/real appetite happening other than shortly before the next meal.

If I had what I think of as the munchies, I'd probably go to bed, if in a phase where it was important to me to be more meticulous about weight management details. If I were actually hungry, I'd eat something small but satisfying. It might be veggies, but often something small and protein-y does a better job of sating me in that situation - maybe string cheese or a hard-boiled egg, for example.
  • wproberts76
    wproberts76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a glass of water (flavored usally) then do reassessment. If still hungry I try popcorn plain.
  • PKDfighter74
    PKDfighter74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Watermelon! It definitely helps in that situation.
  • erprincipexoxo
    erprincipexoxo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The hunger signals will pass. Keep your mind busy on something else other than food.
    15822 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for 6 weeks now and it's coming down steadily, so if I'm snackish, I just go over by 200-300 cal and don't stress about it - it's still a deficit. I have a strong suspicion I've set my activity level too low anyway. However once I "plateau"/slow down below the 700g/week I aim for I intend to keep a closer look on the numbers.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    15822 wrote: »
    I've been at it for 6 weeks now and it's coming down steadily, so if I'm snackish, I just go over by 200-300 cal and don't stress about it - it's still a deficit. I have a strong suspicion I've set my activity level too low anyway. However once I "plateau"/slow down below the 700g/week I aim for I intend to keep a closer look on the numbers.

You’re paying attention and you’re learning as you go. Predict success with this one. Yay, you!!!!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If someone is routinely hungry after consuming their appropriate level of calories...then they need to readjust what their appropriate level of calories is. Have they been in a deficit for too long? Is their deficit too high?

Ultimately - if I'm hungry I eat. Period. I do not 'take' those calories from the next day.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I keep pickles around just for this (I love pickles though so that helps lol). Add a few olives and I generally can take care of my munchies with negligible calories consumed.

That said, there are a number of things I don't track as it is, so the things I do track tend to be a bit more important - I know from history that if I stay in my calorie range not tracking those things (cooking oil being a main one), that I will still lose as expected.