Summer = easy weight loss!

2»

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    This is very individual and probably depends a lot on where you live. Down here in Southeast Texas it's been so hot over the last few weeks that I don't even want to go grocery shopping. If I don't get moving and finish my workout before 8:00 AM, it's not going to happen. Plus all the power companies are begging us to bump up our thermostats, so it's too hot even indoors. Our winters, on the other hand, tend to be very mild and pleasant. We get maybe two weeks a year where it's too cold to be comfortable outside and that's it (and it probably wouldn't feel that bad if we had proper clothing for it). I am way more physically active in the colder months than in summertime.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    I understand what you are saying. We used to live in Indiana (USA) which has all 4 seasons with winter being one I did mostly stay indoors. In the spring and summer we were more active outdoors.

We have lived in Florida for going on 5 years and it’s endless summer here so we don’t have any season where we cuddle up inside for a couple of months. We are more active year round here. I can understand what you are saying about the warmer months being a little easier to just be more active outdoors. Now you just need to find an activity you enjoy to do inside in the colder weather.

I live in Massachusetts and have plenty of activities I like to do OUTSIDE in the cold weather. If there's no snow, I just keep putting on warmer clothes and boots and walk/hike. If there's snow, I shovel. I got a pair of snowshoes for $5 at a yard sale. Snowshoeing is so calorie intensive! I only get a few good snowshoeing days per winter put there are plenty of great hiking days.

We used to have a neighbor who was a tugboat captain and liked to say, "There's no bad weather; just bad gear."

(I just use this for the cold and pass on the rain.)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Kiwi2mfp wrote: »
    I live on a farm and I gain and lose that same 10 pounds every year. If I don't lose that ten pounds of winter weight then it just keeps packing on. For the last couple years I have managed to lose it every year but a few years ago I started college and then the weight didn't fall off. That's why I'm here...trying to lose college weight. Anyway, winter has me gaining every year. Especially if my thoughtful neighbor brings by her usual, massive plate of cookies and cakes for the holidays! Ughh....they look so good and if my mind isn't right I'll eat way too much of it. The cold also gets me craving carbs to keep warm. Anyway, my goal this year is to drop that twn pounds first....be ten pounds into the negative so that when I gain it back, I'm still at a healthy weight. Instead of playing catch up every year, I can be ahead for once lol

I don't know your neighbor but I have a love/hate relationship with her. 😀
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2022
    The winter here is the easiest time for me to exercise outside. Winter lows are in the 30s/40s (F) and highs are 50-70 F. I usually have a tan and am at my most fit December - March. In the summer, it's 100+ nearly every day and lows rarely get under 80F. I, and most of the people here, hibernate in the AC during the day and even when the sun goes down the temps are still too high to exercise outdoors comfortably or safely.

Most people equate the New Year with starting over, recommitting, etc. which is why you see so many people decide to try to lose weight, get fit, exercise more, etc. in January. It has nothing to do with the weather.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    As @COGypsy said, el Doggo has to be walked daily, regardless of the season (now if it's absolutely monsooning outside, he doesn't even want to set foot outdoors, but anything less than that...where's the leash?).

My gym is climate controlled (it's a warehouse, so heating/cooling isn't quite what it might otherwise be, but still).

My job requires me to be exposed to the elements year-round.

My nutrition depends on where I am in my training cycle and personal goals at the time (cutting? massing? maintaining?), not the weather.