Pilates with Exercise Ball

Options
I did my very first pilates class at the gym, it was a 100% exercise ball class, also my first time using an exercise ball.
I was made to feel awful because:

a) I fell off at some point
b) I was in horrid pain and it showed (during one of the loooooong plank-like exercises) and the woman next to me kept being snarky and loudly proclaiming that it was "too easy".
c) When I was headed to the jacuzzi after my workout someone asked me what I had done today, I answered that I'd gone to pilates class, they asked if I'd done cardio afterwards or JUST the class and when I said just the class they said "oh, an easy day I guess"

I did NOT find the class easy I found it painful and as much as I can get through all the aqua cardio and aqua toning and spin class (feeling half dead, but I got through it and nobody made me feel bad) I wanted to quit more than once during pilates.

Someone please tell me this is normal...

Replies

• Peanut1026
    Options
    Over this past weekend I bought a Pilates kit, with ball,weights, bands ect.......I could only do about 10 min of the dvd, I too fell off the ball, and I thought I seriously thought I pulled a muscle in my thingh....lol, so yep for me its normal to be in pain, I think anyone starting a new excercise is bought to be in some sort of pain. Screw those people who thought you were having an "easy day" at least your at the gym trying and bettering your health! =)
  • wanderingwest
    Options
    Finding pilates difficult is normal. The snarky attitudes of others is not. Keep at it. It will get easier. But maybe find a more supportive place to go. Good luck and good for you for trying!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Pilates is mostly about strengthening your core, so as a newbie -- you have your work cut out for you!

My suggestion would be to do what you can and a little more, but don't push yourself to the point of where you're injured or hurting for 2+ days afterwards. Next day soreness is normal, but if its more than that you may be straining yourself too much.

Keep going; it'll get easier over time.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I think its very normal to have difficulty when you first take a class. It takes some time to become familiar and there isn't anything wrong with that. Shame on those bozos at the gym for making rude comments, hard to say what their problem is.

Hang in there, you'll be able to get through it. If you have pain or difficulty, you can talk to the instructor, they are there to make sure you are using proper form which will also help you avoid any injury. Keep up the good work! Youre' doing it for you, to heck with the bozos and their comments. :smile:
  • dkfc17
    Options
    I have been doing pilates since January. Sometimes mat/ball and sometimes reformer and I am here to tell you that there is nothing easy about pilates! It may look easy to those who walk by and have never tried it, but it is not. I do cardio classes, weight training, running, etc so I think I can make a fair comparison. Do not let those who do not know what they are talking about discourage you. You know what your body needs and you know what level of exercise you can handle. Keep at it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have been doing pilates since January. Sometimes mat/ball and sometimes reformer and I am here to tell you that there is nothing easy about pilates! It may look easy to those who walk by and have never tried it, but it is not. I do cardio classes, weight training, running, etc so I think I can make a fair comparison. Do not let those who do not know what they are talking about discourage you. You know what your body needs and you know what level of exercise you can handle. Keep at it.

This!

Yes, pilates may "look" easy - but if you're doing it right - it's not.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The instructor was actually really nice and helped me with form, it was the snarky comments from the woman next to me that hurt, and I guess the guy who said that to me when I was on my way to the jacuzzi had never tried the class and just thought it looked easy. I think I'll keep at it. If it hurts this much I guess I need it!
    How often would you say I should do it? For now I'm aiming for 1 aqua cardio, 1 aqua toning, 1 spin class, 1 body pump, 1 pilates and one day where I can do whatever (body balance/yoga/just dance/running/swimming). Does that sound like a decent gym routine?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just started doing pilates 2 months ago and only recently started using the ball. I started off with a basic mat class to get the proper posture down pat (abs “pulled”, shoulders down). My pilates studio requires you to take a ”fundamentals” class before going to a real class in order to get the basics before being thrown in a mixed levels class, which I think is a good idea.

So no, it isn’t you. Pilates is harder than it looks and I think I would have been terribly unstable on the ball if I had zero prior pilates experience. I was terribly sore my first few classes but I feel so much stronger now. I just started a class with a ball and I think it is a blast, however I never would have been able to start off on the ball. Keep at it, it will get easier and the difference in my body after only 1 month is amazing.