going to the gym at night..need answers please!

Options
so ive been thinking about this all morning trying to figure it out and then i remembered thats what you guys are here for!!

my gym is always jampacked until about 845 at night so thats when my boyfriend and i go. now if i eat right and reach my calories everyday then go to the gym at night and earn those calories back- am i still going to lose the weight? i dont eat past 8 every night and if i eat when i get home ill just gain weight from it just sitting there.

so my question for you guys is:

when i go to the gym at night and DONT eat my calories that i gained back will i still lose weight?

Replies

• Jess62889
    Jess62889 Posts: 15
    Options
    so ive been thinking about this all morning trying to figure it out and then i remembered thats what you guys are here for!!

my gym is always jampacked until about 845 at night so thats when my boyfriend and i go. now if i eat right and reach my calories everyday then go to the gym at night and earn those calories back- am i still going to lose the weight? i dont eat past 8 every night and if i eat when i get home ill just gain weight from it just sitting there.

when i go to the gym at night and DONT eat my calories that i gained back will i still lose weight?
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yes you should be fine. The important this is to exercise before you go to bed when your metabolism shuts down.
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% sure - but to me - my opinion - is that each day is 24 hours - each person eats and exercises at different times. Even if you exercise at night - you need to eat your calories cause your body needs it for fuel. If you exercise at any time during that 24 hour day morning, noon or night - it should count towards that day's fuel.

I hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight.

It might behoove you to log your exercise as "the next day" though. That way you could see how much more you can eat from the night before's work-out. For instance, whatever work-out you did last night - log that for today. This way you'll have your calorie number to eat today.
  • KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Question- You said that you don't eat past 8pm at night? Does this mean that you eat until 8pm? Because if you do and then you go to the gym @ 8:45pm, you're generally only going to be working off what you have in your stomach. It takes most food (with the exception of something like berries or lettuce) at least 2 hrs. to digest.

I honestly would suggest going to the gym in the morning AND still not eating pat 8pm. That's my struggle... late night eating. I go the gym in the morning or afternoon, never at night b/c I usually eat dinner @ like 6, 6:30 and would have to wait until like 9pm for it to be digested.
    OR
    If you really eat right, don't eat past say 6pm, and go the gym at night, you'll probably burn the weight. But let's see what other members say :)

Good luck!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I dont see why you would stop losing weight ...some of us never eat them back and do fine..I think the only sure fire way is to test it...I would however bring fruit with me to eat after my workout so that I dont get ravenous when I get home
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, if you stay within your daily calories, it does not matter how late you eat (this is a myth).

Some people do not eat their exercise calories and this works for them. You will know if you are not eating enough if your weight jogs up and down a couple of pounds...it's the best indicator of not eating enough. Of course, there is always the losing weight too fast (I know, I know, we all want it to disappear quickly, but it's not healthy).

I do not eat all my exercise calories....but I do eat some and my progress has been steady and reliable.

You will need to see how your body responds to determine if you should or should not eat your calories. If you find that you want/need to eat, I would like to suggest that you project at least 1/2 of what you think you will burn throughout your exercise and then incorporate the food into the day before you go workout.

I hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Jess62889
    Options
    Question- You said that you don't eat past 8pm at night? Does this mean that you eat until 8pm? Because if you do and then you go to the gym @ 8:45pm, you're generally only going to be working off what you have in your stomach. It takes most food (with the exception of something like berries or lettuce) at least 2 hrs. to digest.

Sorry i shouldnt have said it in those terms. I get home from work around 6:30 and eat then dont eat until i go to the gym at 8:45 its just if i skip a gym night and im having a hungry day i dont eat past 7 or 8
  • Jess62889
    Options
    thanks for all your help guys! i guess ill just have to use all your ideas and experiment and see what happens:)
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

I dont see why you would stop losing weight ...some of us never eat them back and do fine..I think the only sure fire way is to test it...I would however bring fruit with me to eat after my workout so that I dont get ravenous when I get home
    Ditto:flowerforyou:
  • trubeauty314
    Options
    The best way to eat is in little increments daily not going over your daily amount though. You shouldn't really eat past 7 depending on when you wake up. I like to go to the gym around the night also. I find myself burning the calories I ate during the day and sleeping the rest of the calories off. Here's a website that will help you to calculate the calories you burn doing daily activities. That way you know exactly how much you burn and then burn the deficit at the gym. Since I burn about 444 calories sleeping 8 hours that's usually how many calories I eat for dinner..

http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calc.cgi?calc=cbc&snum= (this is where you go to calculate calories burned)

Have you stopped drinking soda and eating foods with high fructose con syrup. That's a sure fire way to lose weight :). In one week I lost 5 lbs. I know you can do it. Keep it up! And drink green tea w/out additives. It increases your metabolism. I like to drink 3 cups daily.
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, if you stay within your daily calories, it does not matter how late you eat (this is a myth).

Some people do not eat their exercise calories and this works for them. You will know if you are not eating enough if your weight jogs up and down a couple of pounds...it's the best indicator of not eating enough. Of course, there is always the losing weight too fast (I know, I know, we all want it to disappear quickly, but it's not healthy).

I do not eat all my exercise calories....but I do eat some and my progress has been steady and reliable.

You will need to see how your body responds to determine if you should or should not eat your calories. If you find that you want/need to eat, I would like to suggest that you project at least 1/2 of what you think you will burn throughout your exercise and then incorporate the food into the day before you go workout.

I hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

i agree with you on all parts, esp the myth...i still don't like eating heavy foods like meat and hard to digest foods past a certain time and i suggest that to others...it's all about listening to your body, right? plus, who wants to wake up in the middle of the night with a bubbling, flatulant tummy?

hey jess, lots of fitness experts suggest eating a handful of nuts and a glass of milk after an evening workout, maybe that will help give you that little bit of protein, calcium, and fat you need to keep your metabolism happy...

you'll figure it out! let us know what you find...
  • Huyvee999
    Huyvee999 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    With reading all these posts im not sure if what im doing is right either.

I enter what I eat everyday in the am to make sure I have enough so I can eat a good dinner about430pm. I also enter what Im goign to do at the gym that night wether it be elliptical treadmill or swimming. That way I can see how much I calories I can eat throught the day to eat the work out calories back.
    My mom and I go to the gym about 6 or 7 everynight.
    So is this bad? Should I eat only my calories for the day and eat after my workout?
    Im getting confused
  • Jess62889
    Options
    With reading all these posts im not sure if what im doing is right either.

I enter what I eat everyday in the am to make sure I have enough so I can eat a good dinner about430pm. I also enter what Im goign to do at the gym that night wether it be elliptical treadmill or swimming. That way I can see how much I calories I can eat throught the day to eat the work out calories back.
    My mom and I go to the gym about 6 or 7 everynight.
    So is this bad? Should I eat only my calories for the day and eat after my workout?
    Im getting confused

well with what everyone has said my opinion would be not to eat the calroies you earned back after the gym.
    Test it out by seeing if you eat fruit after the gym and you lose more weight.
    Or try drinking a glass of milk with a handful of nuts and see how that works