protein shakes pre or post workout

Options
Sorry in advance. I'm sure this topic is a re-tread. I am still confused about when to drink my protein drinks. I know the guy at the store told me I can use it as a meal replacement which I like to do in the mornings from time to time. I sometimes cut down on the scoops to use it as a post work out drink. I've heard and read that it's necessary for muscle recovery that you drink or eat protein post work out and within 30 minutes (post weight lifting workout). For one, I'm not hungry 30 min after and for two is this an absolute?

Replies

• Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There is a window of opportunity of about one hour to drinking a recovery drink (or post workout drink). I have read the ratio of carbs to protein should be 4:1 for the best results.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The 15-30 minute window has to do with the extra blood pumping to your muscles. Not necessary but something you should try and do to take advantage of this. And I agree, 4:1 is a good ratio post workout.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I've posted several articles about this which I've listed below.

Pre or Post - Workout nutrition gives you optimal recovery due to having an ample supply of Amino Acids and Carbs for muscle glycogen readily available in the blood. Most people opt for post as it's not uncommon for people to feel uncomfortable from downing a shake right before exercise, but right before, or right after offers the same results.

Check out the following threads for more details.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/326989-all-about-post-workout-nutrition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347793-fast-vs-slow-whey-for-protein-synthesis

Cheers!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've posted several articles about this which I've listed below.

Pre or Post - Workout nutrition gives you optimal recovery due to having an ample supply of Amino Acids and Carbs for muscle glycogen readily available in the blood. Most people opt for post as it's not uncommon for people to feel uncomfortable from downing a shake right before exercise, but right before, or right after offers the same results.

Check out the following threads for more details.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/326989-all-about-post-workout-nutrition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347793-fast-vs-slow-whey-for-protein-synthesis

Cheers!

didn't Tipton et al. 2001 show that pre workout was actually more beneficial then post workout?

also why are carbs necessary when very few people are actually doing glycogen depleting workouts?
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Let's not start this debate. It's useless. Also, I'd prefer to not confuse MFP members by regurgitation of information.
  • Egger29
    Options

didn't Tipton et al. 2001 show that pre workout was actually more beneficial then post workout?

Tipton KD, et al. Stimulation of net muscle protein synthesis by whey protein ingestion before and after exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2007;292:E71-E76. - Additional Study done in 2007 shows no significant difference between Pre and Post.
    also why are carbs necessary when very few people are actually doing glycogen depleting workouts?

Tipton at al 2001 that you refereced above was a test using a Carb/Amino Acid Supplement, not just amino acids alone. There are numerous speculations in the different results, which are however tangent to the OP so I'll just post the link to the study.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/292/1/E71.full

The primary comparison between the two studies are in the Discussion part of the study at the bottom. There are numerous possible variables between the two studies but none that can be ultimately conclusive based on the data available.

Carbs simply replace muscle glycogen when the body is most readily eager to absorb them.

Cheers!
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    DO RESEARCH FROM VARIOUS SOURCES,to many variables ,the types of workouts you are doing,your goals/what you hope to accomplish /weight loss muscle gain,I agree with both Q9S7 & Acg67 ,sorry not much help from me but not knowing the full extent of what you want to accomplish this topic has a lot of variables to concider
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Carbs simply replace muscle glycogen when the body is most readily eager to absorb them.

Cheers!

It's highly unlikely that a person will be carb depleted to any appreciable amount after a workout unless it was a several hour session. Proper glycogen depletion takes days of planning and furthermore, replenishing glycogen is a process that can take up to 24 hours of high carb consumption. Has nothing to do with whether or not you need to include carbs in your PWO shake.

Also, like keola stated, it is highly context dependent. If you haven't had your last meal in a while, then a case can be made that a pre-workout shake is better. But then again, not always. It would depend on your goals....
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    huh?? I'm even more confused now...
  • Statsol
    Statsol Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just do it post. Who wants a shake right before their workout?
  • Egger29
    Options
    Pre or Post...it doesn't matter. The recovery benefits and results will be basically the same.

Whatever works best for you.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    huh?? I'm even more confused now...

It is beneficial for recovery that you consume some sort of protein at a point in time relatively adjacent to your workout. I'm an empty belly exerciser, so you will never catch me downing anything heavier than water before hand, and it works for me. Do what works for you.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I do both personally. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the nutrients don't do any harm, and since the shakes figure into my caloric and macronutrient daily goals anyway, I figure I'm probably ok.
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    *rolls eyes*