Calories vs Weight Watcher Points

Options
Hi there,
I did an experiment this past weekend and that was to take my food diary and convert it to WW points. Though the calories added up reasonably, I was way over on WW points, and I mean WAAAY over.... I'm wondering if this is why I'm not losing? How can we make sure that the calories we're eating are good calories....
I know that the formula is calories in vs calories burned, but it doesn't seem to be working????:angry:

Replies

• Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I recall the old system (Points Plus) was 50 calories per point. Now it has changed and I believe they give you more points per day. I think watching your calories is very important, so if you converted your points to calories and you are way over, then you may want to rethink the number of points you are allowed each day. Contact your WW group to answer these questions, unless you are doing this solo. If that is the case, I would just go for watching the calories.
  • auntied
    auntied Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW too for 4 months just canceled actually. When I did it it was really close. In fact yesterday I didn't even use my 29 pt on WW and ate well. It's tuff. I lost 28lb - 21" on WW in that 4 months but I don't have a job and every little bit helps. I'm so confused too but the people seem nicer here and over help IDK I'm not givin up! I have 18lb to go for my goal I HAVE TO DO IT>>> lol for me if no one else... Good luck
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I dropped my minimum on here to 1,000. I lose fantastically on the old Momentum system at 20 points, plus APs and WPs, but when I tried just counting calories, I wasn't have success at 1,200 (with eating back exercise calories).

On WW, I average a gross intake of 1,500 calories a day and net below 1,000. I know a lot of people will say that's bad, but it's my body and my journey and that's what works for me. I'm not hungry and I have a ton of energy and am healthy, so there ya go.
  • SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't do weight watchers but a friend who does told me I would need to eat 1000 calories for where i am at to be within my weight watchers points. That is way too few. I would stick with MFP and try to get good use out of the calories it sets for you. If says you started in September. Give it time. I am losing ever so slowly and it gets frustrating but I am also learning portion control, better foods to eat, and realizing how bad certain foods are for me. The scale is taking a while but in the meantime I am learning good eating skills that will stay with me for life.
  • iamlal
    Options
    I've been on WW on and off for years and have always had success when I followed the program. This time around I started WW in December 2010 and followed it until just about a month ago. I began working out three days a week with a personal trainer in February 2011 and found that while I was truly following the WW program my weight loss continued but slowed dramatically despite the fact that my body was definitely changing for the better - smaller size clothing, better muscle tone. My trainer insisted I wasn't eating enough even though I was eating all my daily points, all my weekly points and all my activity points. I was skeptical but decided to give it a try. I found MFP and for a while I recorded in both but followed the recommendations of MFP. I too was way over on points but my weight loss began to increase. I have stopped paying WW though I continue to follow the good health guidelines. I love MFP!!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Which point system - Momentum or PointsPlus?
  • mrdavidjk
    Options
    the only way to loose weight is to have a calorie deficit.

they say the average woman needs 2000 calories and the average man needs 2500 calories
    for me to need 2500 calories i would need to be doing a job like brick layer (something really strenuous) and go to the gym after work.

in reality i lead a sedentary ish life and as a result my calorie requirements are way way lower.
    according to professionally worked out formula i only need 1352 a day.
    i tried eating my exercise calories and i ended up putting weight back on
    i now try to have my net at around 1000
    it all depends on the person
  • chubbierbubby
    Options
    remember with WW you have 35 or 49 extra points to spread out over the week. With MFP you get calories for your day no extras. This may be why it seams like you are way over on your points.
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with the formula WW uses - they take into account fat and fiber and here on MFP we are focusing on calories!

-Allison
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It is not as simple as Calories In Vs. Calories Burned

You might want to check out this book

http://www.amazon.ca/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462
  • Libster26
    Libster26 Posts: 1
    Options
    Weight watchers does not assign points for vegetables and almost all fruits . So if you are changing those calories for points, you will be way over on points.
  • skyfall91
    skyfall91 Posts: 74
    Options
    Iv just started to follow the pro points plan and try to get alot of high fibre and protein to fill me up and as they are low points its great. Today Iv hit my 29pp goal and am at about 1200cals and am stuffed and had treats for my snacky lunch.
    I think because the lower point options are foods that are naturally filling and keep you full longer you eat less and more of the good stuff.