I need exercise help please!!

Options
Ok so I’m kind of a hot mess. I found out 5 months ago that I am now diabetic which was a real kick in the head. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t blind to the fact that I was gaining weight but I haven’t been in a good place in my head for the last couple of years. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with seronegative inflammatory arthritis. It’s basically rheumatoid arthritis without the RA markers. Anyway, I went from someone who would take a 4 mile walk, or go hike a mountain with my husband, to someone who now uses a walker. I’m 47. Not how I pictured my life. I am not looking for pity. I’m not trying to be whoa is me. I just need those that are going to offer advice know that I want to get out of this death toll I’m in. I just am having a hard time finding physical activities I can actually do without being in crazy amounts of pain afterwards. Oh I probably should say that the arthritis is in my hips. The cartilage in my left hip is shredded and my rheumatologist says I might have a year before I need to have a hip replacement.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,693 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor? Or a PT?

You might be able to do water exercises or stationary bike. There are chair exercises as well. Upper body exercise like weights or boxing? Tai chi or yoga?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    I'd encourage the physical therapy route. I'm assuming here that you're USA-ian, which may not be correct, but it's what I can give advice about.

Do the research, ask your friends, read the reviews, ask every doctor you have, to find the very best in-network physical therapy practice in your area. Then, sign up for the maximum course your insurance will cover (hoping you have insurance - and the therapist may even help you get extensions, if you're finding it valuable). Good physical therapists are pure gold.

Pepper your PT with questions. Learn what exercises you can do. Learn how to do daily life movement to reduce stress on your problem areas. Ask them everything you can think of about what exercises/activities are likely help you, impair you, etc. Do every remedial exercise they give you, and ask for more. A great physical therapist will respond to your interest and dedication, and the results can be really good, IME.

What should not happen: A sense that your therapist has some rote, conveyor belt program that they put you on, and it's all on you - they give you a thing to do at the site, then ignore you. Better: While you're in their site, they watch every single move you make, pick at details of your performance, adjust their advice and counsel to personalize.

I've done multiple rounds of physical therapy, been lucky (or careful?) in finding good sources, and have been extremely blessed and gratified to learn things that have helped me make gradual long-term progress.

Physical therapy - with luck - can be amazing.
  • Letsdothis749
    Letsdothis749 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that your diabetes could go away by dieting instead of excercising? Dieting seems to help people lose weight more than excercise anyway.
    And I suggest swimming.
  • kerry6167
    kerry6167 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah my Dr did say swimming and I did have a pool membership but then Covid hit and I couldn’t chance being in close proximity of other people because I’m immune compromised. I also have a really hard time being in a swim suit in public. I have had someone mention to me before about chair exercises. Forgot about that till I just read it. I do use strength bands for my upper body and I have tried Tai Chi and yoga, and I liked both but I tend to push too hard (the ex jock in me). I don’t know when to back off. I tried to keep up with everyone in the yoga class and I paid for it for a couple Of days. I am going to look into the chair exercises though. That was a good call. Thanks :)
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was told I have kidney issues in April and I already had fibromyalgia. I feel you. I'm 38 though but I completely understand the pain from exercise and suddenly needing to change up diet and lose weight. That's why I'm here now. I am not focusing on exercise for my weightloss at the moment because of the pain. That's not to say I never will but I'm dropping most of the weight before I try putting my body through that. I do try to stay active. I have a garden that keeps me busy now. But adding extra exercise on top of that can wait until my body is ready. Now, that's just what I'm doing. I don't know if this will work for you given your health situation but this might be something to consider. I also have knee and back problems. So there's that. But just moving throughout the day is exercise. Keep yourself moving throughout the day. Try not to sit for more than 30 minutes at a time during the day time if possible. If you have a desk job, get up and walk around every so often. Just keep active.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    PT absolutely! They’ll give you exercises you can do now and others once some of the pain has gone. You may be amazed how much it can help and no doubt more quickly than you just trying different things on your own.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Don’t feel like you have to do all the things at once! Perhaps a few months of mastering the calorie deficit first, then incorporate some PT and simple movements.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    kerry6167 wrote: »
    Ok so I’m kind of a hot mess. I found out 5 months ago that I am now diabetic which was a real kick in the head. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t blind to the fact that I was gaining weight but I haven’t been in a good place in my head for the last couple of years. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with seronegative inflammatory arthritis. It’s basically rheumatoid arthritis without the RA markers. Anyway, I went from someone who would take a 4 mile walk, or go hike a mountain with my husband, to someone who now uses a walker. I’m 47. Not how I pictured my life. I am not looking for pity. I’m not trying to be whoa is me. I just need those that are going to offer advice know that I want to get out of this death toll I’m in. I just am having a hard time finding physical activities I can actually do without being in crazy amounts of pain afterwards. Oh I probably should say that the arthritis is in my hips. The cartilage in my left hip is shredded and my rheumatologist says I might have a year before I need to have a hip replacement.

Count me as another voice urging you to ask your doctor for a referral to a physical therapist.
  • ashtree42
    ashtree42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don’t have great advice, but I have a lot of empathy. I have psoriatic arthritis, another one similar but a tad different then RA.
    For exercise, swimming if you can and PT. Thai chi worked for me for a while when I had an instructor that was mindful of joint issues so would guide me to moderate versions of poses. My experience with yoga and PsA hips was very bad. Even very beginner poses are can be extremely painful. I’ve heard good things about chair and senior yoga classes, but they are always midday, and I’m in my 30s working full time so I haven’t tried them.
    It is psychologically excruciating to lose your ability to do the physical things you love, especially at a relatively young age. Try to find other activities you enjoy. Reading, crafts, logic puzzles, art, computer programming, games - something. Also, strongly consider if seeing a therapist could help.
    So sorry you are having to go through this pain.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,595 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds. I went from an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic to no insulin. My A1C has been steady for about a year. I had to stop walking about a year ago and now use a walker. My exercise is swimming laps and water exercises. Not sure where you live but the arthritis society of Canada has helped me immensely. Along with physical therapy they offered a social worker to help me deal with the pain and acceptance of using a walker. Your rheumatologist may have some resources for you.
  • kerry6167
    kerry6167 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow. I don’t know if any of you are able to see this from me but Thank you all so much for the suggestions and words of support. I’m really touched at how understanding you all are and I appreciate not feeling judged. :)
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    In addition to some of the other great suggestions here, I’d recommend finding a gym that offers real coaching. Many CrossFit, NCFit, Comptrain, Lifetime fitness etc offer this. A good coach would be able to build a program around you, or customize a daily “group” program to fit your needs.
    I know if two diabetics in my gym and a few folks with arthritis (don’t know what kind). The diabetics (both insulin dependent) say that the workouts help control the high and low blood sugar (but they can actually run a little high(weird right?) during the workout. The coaches give the arthritis folks “scaled” or modified versions of the group workout. Also the good thing about this approach is that there is always a coach watching to make sure you won’t hurt yourself.
    Good luck!