Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hi everyone! Vivien here ๐Ÿ‘‹

vivienfrancis527
vivienfrancis527 Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2022 in Introduce Yourself
I recently resigned from a highly stressful job and a little later on found out that Iโ€™m on the road to hypothyroidism which affects my metabolism. Iโ€™m hoping to get on a more sustainable road to a healthier life and I hope that by joining a community, I donโ€™t feel so alone in my journey! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Replies

• klbaussie2
    klbaussie2 Posts: 6 Member
    I may be in the same position you are in, if my thyroid does not show improvement soon. All the best to you!
  • FireDog3
    FireDog3 Posts: 2 Member
    I dont have hypothyroid, but i do have a severe eating disorder which make me gain weight fast and im just tired of it. Hoping this app helps me track my food intake
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    edited July 2022
    Good news: Untreated hypothyroidism can reduce calorie burn a little, but once properly medicated things should be pretty close to normal.

This is a great thread, written by an MFP-er who is a scientist in the hypothyroidism field, himself hypothyroid, and who lost weight by calorie counting himself as well:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

I'm severely hypothyroid myself, but properly medicated. I not only lost weight at the expected rate, it turned out that I burn more calories than estimated for the average person of my characteristics (for reasons that I think have little to do with my thyroid condition, but the hypothyroidism didn't prevent that happening).

If you get a calorie goal from MFP (for a sensibly moderate weight loss rate), then follow that consistently for multiple weeks, your scale-weight results will tell you whether you have to fine-tune your calorie goal, and in which direction, and by how much. If you have menstrual cycles, compare weight at the same relative point in two or more different cycles to calculate average multi-week weight loss rate. If you don't have cycles any more, go at least 4-6 weeks, then calculate a weekly average. That general approach can work, even if it does turn out your calorie needs are slightly lower than population averages.