Frustrating Plateau Again!!!

Options
I have lost 85 pounds....which I am very happy about. However, I am in one of these horrible plateaus again. Let me answer this question before you suggest it...I am NOT at or near my goal weight!!! I am 6'1" and weigh 263 lbs. I really only want to lose another 30 or 40 lbs. No, I am not a fan of the BMI, too many variables it doesn't account for. Back to my problem. I have done this the right way over about a year and a half. I exercise every day and on Saturday I am doing my first triathlon (been doing 5k's for about 9 months)!!! I have been stuck in the 260's for over a month or so. It was suggested I eat more because of my tri training. So I raised up my calorie intake which made me feel like I was eating everything in sight!! No help. I would go through my workout schedule, but suffice to say I do a brick (double) workout 6 days a week (2 of either lifting, swimming, running, biking). I went through this in the 280's and it so frustrating! I wish I knew what changed then. Besides wanting to be rewarded for my hard work and eating, I know my running and tri work will be easier to do and easier on my body. Any help is appreciated. I see that many of you are doing amazing things!!!

Replies

• CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've shared this link with many people. http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

It does a great job of explaining metabolism in simple terms and relating it to plateaus. When you look at metabolism bluntly, there is always MORE of something needed to break the plateau, but that something is not always calories. This article ends with some simple ways to evaluate your diet, cardio, and strength training to help you determine which of the three you need to modify. Hope this helps.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, I just want to commend you for sticking to it and trying to work through your plateau. *high five* You're still doing great!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Typically you will tend to have a plateau everytime you reach 10% loss of whatever your body sees as your last regular weight ( the last weight it reset to) So if you have significant weight loss you can expect more than 1 plateau. I expect ot have to go through a couple more to get to my goal. I have already gotten through one. Learned alot during it about plateaus finding two great articles, lost alot of inches and learned how to maintain. Still they are frustrating.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it - but it is going to be trial and error until you hit on what your body wants.

Switch up your workout more. Try zig zagging your calories. Try taking a week off from working out. Sometimes our bodies simply need a rest in order to recharge them to lose more weight (I know in the past when I've given myself an entire week off from working out and only focused on my food - I ALWAYS lost weight. Heck, sometimes when I took a week off from both - I lost even more weight!).

All of our bodies are just slightly different and we have to figure out what is the secret to making them want to lose more weight. It isn't easy and is frustrating.
  • who922
    who922 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article scschenk! After reading, the only thing I can think of is increasing my calories and staying there longer. I didn't gain any weight when I did this a couple of weeks ago. or maybe I could add another strength day in there.
  • who922
    Options
    Chevy88grl not working out scares me to death!!!! I'm not sure I could do that. I am planning on doing at least one more triathlon before the season is over and then I will concentrate more on my running for a while. I also have to be careful because eating "bad" now can really make me sick!! although I actually did lose weight after vacation when I didn't eat perfectly. Good ideas for this very frustrating thing.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Chevy88grl not working out scares me to death!!!! I'm not sure I could do that. I am planning on doing at least one more triathlon before the season is over and then I will concentrate more on my running for a while. I also have to be careful because eating "bad" now can really make me sick!! although I actually did lose weight after vacation when I didn't eat perfectly. Good ideas for this very frustrating thing.

Oh trust me. I know how scary it is to think about not working out. The first time I did it - I was terrified. But, you know what? It worked. I was amazed and from that day forward? I was a believer in rest weeks. When I was working out a lot - I would take the entire week off every 4-6 weeks. Usually by the end of my week, I was itching to go back to the gym. But, I always made myself stay out of the gym for the entire week. I always lost weight when I went back. Plus, I went back feeling energized and ready to kick butt because my body had a chance to repair, recover, rest and relax.

If an entire week scares you, try doing 3 days a week (and they don't have to be consecutive days). It is important to give our bodies the chance to recover though. :)
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I wish I had words of wisdom for you, but I don't. I just got over a plateau and for me it was changing up my routine that got me over. I also lowered my calorie intake for 2 days (un-intentional I was sick with a nasty tummy bug).

I wanted to commend you on sticking through this!
  • who922
    Options
    Well, I was quite sick on Sunday and recovering on Monday. The calorie count was definitely down!!! Maybe that will be the little thing that pushes me through! I actually thought about doing Atkins for a week or so to see if that would change things up.
  • who922
    Options
    By the way, yall are all doing very well!! You look fantastic!!! Doesn't it feel so good! Great inspiration!