Should I spin everyday to lose weight?

Options
I've been spinning three times per week for an hour with a goal of 300cal/h but haven't seen any results yet (I've rolled 2700km). So, I plan to do this every day to see if anything changes. Is there any risk to my health from doing this?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What are you doing on the diet side of things? That may have less toll on your body, and more toll on your weight loss.
  • icarosadero
    icarosadero Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What are you doing on the diet side of things? That may have less toll on your body, and more toll on your weight loss.

A mess really. I went to an endocrinologist and she gave me some medicine to control impulsiveness so I can keep myself from eating at irregular hours. Since I am bad at cooking, I'm building up the habit of going to a restaurant nearby for dinner. Any other time of the day, I'm either drinking coffee and milk or eating things like cookies or sandwiches.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Spinning will improve your fitness. HOW YOU EAT will help you lose weight. CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You need to get your diet in order. As they say, you can't out exercise a bad diet. You need to lower your calorie intake to lose weight. Not exercise more.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone else who already answered. If you don't have a clear idea of how much you're consuming, it's very easy to overeat if you exercise a lot. I was cat 1 obese for 3 years, then cat 2 obese for another 3 years while exercising a lot and eating healthy foods.

If you do decide to do more spinning anyway, don't jump from an hour 3 days a week to every day. Maybe add 30 minutes on day 4 for a month, then go for an hour 4x a week for the next month, etc.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It is sooooo easy to eat 300 calories worth of food. No amount of spinning will make you lose weight if you don't get a handle on your food intake.

As for the risk of daily spinning: it all depends on the intensity of the spinning and what your body is used to. I would not recommend doing the same workout day in day out, with diversity you lessen the risk of injury. Not to mention the risk of mental burn out (the same workout every day would quickly kill any motivation I have to workout, but we're all different). I'd recommend varying your spinning workouts (in duration and intensity) and/or alternating the type of exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Your diet is what matters the most here. A lot of people (I'm one of them) exercise most days and aren't losing weight and/or trying to. If you eat at maintenance requirements you will maintain...if you eat in a surplus you will gain weight, regardless of regular exercise. I'm trying to lose my COVID 20 right now and I exercise most days...but I've still been eating at maintenance and thus maintaining my weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Doing the same exercise everyday for the same intensity and duration is a pretty awful way to train. You could do much better as regards fitness benefits. Apart from anything else it sounds desperately boring.

BTW - 300/cal an hour is a very modest level of intensity for a male if you are estimating that accurately (from power/watts). As no-one knows anything about you apart from that your profile page says you are male your question about health can't be guessed at, you could be 18 or 80, fit or unfit etc. etc.

I've done over 250 hours of cycling so far this year but when I want to lose weight I simply eat a bit less. You really are looking in the wrong place for successful and sustainable weight loss and weight control long term.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the insightful answers guys; I really appreciate it! It is clear to me now that I should give more attention to my diet instead of increasing my load.

Yep. I worked out 6 days most weeks for 300 calories (or more) for a dozen years, and stayed class 1 obese. When I got my diet in line, I lost 50+ pounds in just under a year, doing the same exercise.

Think about it: 300 calories is only about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter on one slice of whole grain bread, or a generous serving of some salad dressings, or a good-sized (but not huge) candy bar. It's super easy to eat that much more, when exercising but not tracking.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You really need to watch out for the daily restaurant meals. It is very easy to eat too many calories when dining out as the meals tend to be high in fat and large portions. One meal out can easily have more calories than a 4 hour workout.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    lets say you burning 300 calories per work out is accurate.
    1. that TOTAL 300 also includes the calories you would have burned if you hadn't worked out...ie, 60 calories just sitting around....so really just 240 calories EXTRA per spinning. but lets even say it didn't. (ie, net 300 burned.)
    2. 300 x 3 = 900 calories burned per week.
    3. there are 3500 calories in a pound so in one week, "IF" you were eating exactly the same amount of calories you were eating PRIOR to starting your spinning regimen, that is only a .25 of a pound weightloss per week..Again, this is only assuming that you have not increased or decreased your food in calories.
    5. how long have you been at this spinning and what type of loss were you anticipating with your statement that you are seeing no results?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    How you eat will have substantially more of an effect on your weight than how many days a week you spin.