84lbs to lose. Yep, I'm going to need help.

Options
Afternoon folks!
Long story short, I'm 5'10 and 217lbs. I've gradually put on about 56lbs in the last 15 months, probably due to the following:
1. Relationship weight. My boyfriend is a fan of huge portions, cakes, and huge portions of cake. For example, if I buy a packet of Oreos, he will devour the entire packet. As such, he tends to nag me into eating big portions and stuffing my face with dessert. Obviously, I could have just said no, so blaming him entirely would be unfair, but it didn't exactly help. It was mostly a case of him feeling self-conscious about how much he ate, so trying to make it less obvious by ensuring I ate a lot too.
2. I worked at a certain well-known fast food chain for a few months. You got given one free meal per shift, and, as much as I meant to make healthier sandwiches to bring in with me, I ended up constantly doing double shifts, meaning two meals there per day. I recently worked out just how many calories and how much fat and salt the food there contains, and it's alarming, even for someone who used to actually work there.
3. I eventually lost my job at the fast food place for "not smiling genuinely enough" (read: they were understaffed and needed a good reason to get rid of a few people). Feeling like an utter failure for losing a job which a trained chimp could do, on top of eating fatty food all the time, I also started drinking a ridiculous amount of vodka every night (at least a 70cl bottle), and mixing it with incredibly sugary, high-calorie energy drink. I worked out at one point that I was getting through nearly 2000 calories just from the booze/energy drink combination.
4. I'm extremely lazy and gluttonous and have no willpower. Actually, I probably could have skipped all the other reasons and just written this one.

Anyway, two things really made it hit home how much weight I'd gained; I visited my parents earlier this year and spent the entire time being told off about my weight. And then I tried to buy a new pair of jeans, and couldn't even fit into a UK size 20.
So now I've made changes; I avoid fatty food now, and, while I have a couple of drinks at the weekend, I leave it at that. I've switched to skimmed milk in my tea or coffee, and, when thirsty, just drink ice cold water most of the time. I fill up on vegetables, limit carbs (no more sessions in which I eat my considerable body weight in toast), leave desserts, and have become a lot more active; I power walk everywhere, do several sets of sit ups throughout the day to firm up my stomach for when the fat does eventually reduce, and am taking up roller derby. Obviously, I've only kept this up for a week so far, so it'll take a while for me to really feel/see any benefits, but, in order to keep myself motivated, I've told everyone I know about my weight loss efforts (so I'm less likely to cheat). And, obviously, I've joined this place. So.... hi! Tips and such are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think you're too hard on yourself. Things happen. Relationships happen. It's easy to get caught up in life and kind of forget about yourself.

You can totally do this, though.

Good luck.
  • trailgetter
    Options
    Welcome! We are all here to support you. Add me as a friend if you like.

Remember: the weight didn't come on overnight and won't fall off over night...but this site and all the support will help you enjoy the journey to a healthier you.

Congrats on your week of doing great!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Patiences and dedication. I started out with 84lbs to lose and I'm halfway there already. It's unbelieveable.

Feel free to add me for support, I'm a MFP junkie.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard - you will find alot of amazing people here. I am not where near as tall as you (only 5'3"), but I have lost 53 lbs in the past year. Just remember that his is a process and it takes time. 1-2 lbs a week should be your goal; it will stay off that way.
  • sixxbaby
    Options
    welcome, and feel free to add me
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome...I think you'll like it here. I know where your coming from with the boyfriend thing because mine did the same thing. Good luck to you, you can do this!!!
  • mmildice
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been here for over a year and lost almost 60 pounds!! This is a great website to keep yourself on track and the people i've met on here are great as well.
  • vmastudios
    Options
    I'm a bit thicker now after 2 kids, so whats helping me is having old pictures of myself around the house (bathroom mirror, the fridge) of how thin I was. I'm a visual learner so I have to CONSTANTLY have something to look at to remain focused, otherwise the chinese takeout screams my name every hour and i give in.LOL...I tend to put up the more flatteringt pics (or shall we say, more of the sexier pics I had back in my early 20's) and always remenisce back to that moment of how I good i felt that day, and that pumps me up and motivates me enough, to get a good work out in :)
  • LoriL41
    Options
    I also have a total of 80 pounds to lose and I"m half way there. In the beginning I started slow with just walking 2-5 miles a day and keeping to a 1200 calorie diet and I wasn't too concerned about what went in to that 1200. I lost 40 pounds and 30 inches in 13 weeks that way then hit my plateau.....so now 3 weeks later, I watch my carbs, sodium, protein, and sugar intake. I have also drastically altered my workout regimen so that I know workout twice a day 6 days a week (Circuit Training 3 days a week, zumba, running, etc).....what keeps me motivated? All the Non-Scale Victories I encountered along the way, the sizes shrinking, the inches coming off, the compliments I receive, and most importantly moral support. I have an incredible group of family and friends that are all in this with me. A little competition also helps. My friends and I are on our 2nd session of Biggest Loser and my competitive spirit loves it...I won the first session and have to work twice as hard this time! I"ve seen on here different groups of people looking for members for challenges and maybe this is what you need, to be held accountable to others, not just yourself.

Best of Luck on your journey and remember, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    You are being too hard on yourself! Yes, we make mistake and sh^% happen to the best of us. Just put on your sneakers and let's get going. You can do it. You have the potential to lose those 80+ pounds. Just have a goal, make small plans, changes in your eating habits, exercise a bit in the beginning - anything is good as long as you step out of your comfort zone. My dad always say that changes happen when you step out of your box and see the world from a different perspective. You can do it. You don't have nothing to lose, but the weight and even after that, you are gaining so much more. I am happy for you for taking the first step in to change. Have faith and be positive. We are all here to help you!
  • sjacoby123
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I started off with 106 lbs to lose, I now have 84.6 lbs to lose. (yes, I am counting every ounce!!). It is definitely a long haul, I lose weight VERY SLOWLY, but I am losing.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you came to the right place to lose the weight. Everyone on this site is extremely motivating and helpful. I started in Jan of this year and have lost 65 lbs, still have 40 to go. Feel free to add me.
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I started out with 84lbs to lose and it's been about 5 months. I've lost 52 lbs so far and MFP has been awesome. For the first time I'm hearing compliments from people and I feel good about myself. It's a life changing journey but it can be done!!!!!!!!
  • SewerUrchin
    Options
    Thanks folks, have added a few of you as friends. :)
    I get the feeling that this will be extremely helpful for me. My friends are lovely and all, but do have a habit of trying to wheedle me into going out for beer or eating a tonne of pizza (they're all naturally skinny, so seem to be able to do this frequently without any weight gain). Having some people around who are in the same situation should help keep my willpower in check! And I'm impressed, you guys are doing great in terms of weight loss, no reason why it can't work for me too.
  • mjshmily
    mjshmily Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I am tall and heavy as well, and have a lot to lose! I have found the people here to be supportive and very motivational.
    Feel free to add me as a friend as I can use all I can get!
  • maskara143
    Options
    Yes yes...my boyfriend is the same way.. and he doesnt gain a pound.. it is really frustrating and something i have to overcome as well...
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i can relate to all 4 and its the reason im at my weight too , send me a friend request if you like :)