Just got a HRM and am in shock.

Options
I've been on MFP for about 4 months, and am on my second round of P90X. In the passed, I have been logging my exercise calories as 450 per session (which I know was a shot in the dark, but I figure I'd estimate low). Last night I bought a Polar FT7, configured it, and had my first workout this morning. I did Legs and Back and Ab Ripper. According to the HRM, my calories came in at 913!

That number just sounds way too high. I've been losing weight pretty consistently, but not at any rapid rate or anything. And I know I haven't even come close to eating back that many calories before. I'm wondering if the HRM is giving me an incorrect reading.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences with this watch.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    How long were you exercising, and what was your average and peak HR?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about 4 months, and am on my second round of P90X. In the passed, I have been logging my exercise calories as 450 per session (which I know was a shot in the dark, but I figure I'd estimate low). Last night I bought a Polar FT7, configured it, and had my first workout this morning. I did Legs and Back and Ab Ripper. According to the HRM, my calories came in at 913!

That number just sounds way too high. I've been losing weight pretty consistently, but not at any rapid rate or anything. And I know I haven't even come close to eating back that many calories before. I'm wondering if the HRM is giving me an incorrect reading.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts or experiences with this watch.

A little higher than mine, I think I'm around 600-700 w/ those workouts. But everyone is different. Same HRM too.
  • NurseHthr
    NurseHthr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question a bit ago and got this answer. As long as you entered your information correctly and you are wearing it correctly it is most likely correct. If you haven't been losing like you expect maybe you are eating too few calories for such a heavy burn? Just a thought Maybe upping your cals would result in more loss!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    P90X Legs & Back can run me about 450-550 calories with another 200-250 for ab ripper x depending on how energized I am..
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and I was shocked when I started using it.

Just got through the settings and make sure everything is updated!

The harder you push yourself during the workout the more you burn! I would say it is correct!

You will find that is more accurate then the database!
  • vinlop
    vinlop Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My duration was 1:17
    21 min in Fat Burn Zone
    56 min in Fitness Zone
    136 avg HR
    171 max HR
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I asked this same question a bit ago and got this answer. As long as you entered your information correctly and you are wearing it correctly it is most likely correct. If you haven't been losing like you expect maybe you are eating too few calories for such a heavy burn? Just a thought Maybe upping your cals would result in more loss!

I agree!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    My FT7 is always spot on! Sounds like you were really underestimating yourself!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother with my HRM for resistance exercises. The calroie burn is completely different from Cardio and the algorithm that most HRMs use is really for cardio only.
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yea same thing happned to me,mfp said my 4 mile brisk pace walk was about 400 calories,when I got my HRM I was kinda mad at mfp. My HRM says I burn(on average) 800+ on my walks.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    no problems with mine yet...seems pretty accurate, I have the polar ft4.....my hubby has a polar as well and he usually comes in somewhere around 800 for his p90x workouts
  • pyroxian
    Options
    My standard "is my HRM accurate for x activity" response:
    Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

short version - strength training is rarely accurately reported by an HRM since unless you go very high-end ($400 range typically) the algorithms used are based on steady-state cardio, which weight lifting is NOT.

I have a "high end" HRM myself, and have done the P90X workouts while using it & found that FOR ME, using "circuit training" in the generic exercise database is very close to what my Suunto HRM with FirstBeat Athlete software reports. (Incidentally it's around the 600-700 mark for virtually all of the p90x and p90x+ workouts, and around another 100 for ab ripper x - again "for me" so your results will probably be different)
  • vinlop
    Options
    I don't even bother with my HRM for resistance exercises. The calroie burn is completely different from Cardio and the algorithm that most HRMs use is really for cardio only.

Actually I feel like I'm doing a cardio work out when doing the resistance days of P90X. There are not that many breaks where your heart rate has a chance to go down, and I am in the fitness range the entire time except for warmup and cool down.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing-- the heavier you are, the more energy (calories) is (are) required to complete a task. Also, fitness level and intensity play huge roles. So you are likely burning that many calories. ( I see you're not very heavy, but bear with me here).

As for the "slower" weight loss, you may need more calories, you may be building muscle, or your body may simply be going at a longer retention rate. Look at what you are eating and what your measurements are doing, and you may find your answer there.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Yea same thing happned to me,mfp said my 4 mile brisk pace walk was about 400 calories,when I got my HRM I was kinda mad at mfp. My HRM says I burn(on average) 800+ on my walks.

that seems high to me. although I don't do a lot of walking. Just seems high, even at a brisk pace.
  • pyroxian
    Options

Actually I feel like I'm doing a cardio work out when doing the resistance days of P90X. There are not that many breaks where your heart rate has a chance to go down, and my is in the fitness range the entire time except for warmup and cool down.

Tony himself says in the teasers for p90x2 that "there are no true cardio workouts in P90X"... it's still resistance work, but it's circuit training which does keep your heart elevated, but does NOT make the formulae used for estimating caloric expenditure in your HRM "work" for that exercise. My Polar HRM that I retired in favor of the suunto would consistently record 900+ for the base workouts, plus whatever I got from Ab Ripper.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My duration was 1:17
    21 min in Fat Burn Zone
    56 min in Fitness Zone
    136 avg HR
    171 max HR

That sounds pretty accurate to me. Everyone is different, but MFP estimates really low on calorie burn.
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    800 calories burned on a 4 mile walk is WAY high, unless the person is extremely heavy. I run <11 min miles and only burn about 120 cals/mile
  • vinlop
    Options

Actually I feel like I'm doing a cardio work out when doing the resistance days of P90X. There are not that many breaks where your heart rate has a chance to go down, and my is in the fitness range the entire time except for warmup and cool down.

Tony himself says in the teasers for p90x2 that "there are no true cardio workouts in P90X"... it's still resistance work, but it's circuit training which does keep your heart elevated, but does NOT make the formulae used for estimating caloric expenditure in your HRM "work" for that exercise. My Polar HRM that I retired in favor of the suunto would consistently record 900+ for the base workouts, plus whatever I got from Ab Ripper.

Thanks for the info. I think I will still use it during resistance days with the understanding it may be a little off because of the type exercise.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    800 calories burned on a 4 mile walk is WAY high, unless the person is extremely heavy. I run <11 min miles and only burn about 120 cals/mile

depends on your size, muscle mass etc.......I know at 200+ i burn many more calories walking for 30 min than someone half my weight........