Beginner in the gym!

Options
Hi! I am not new to dieting but I am new to the gym. I wondering if there is any advice on how to get started. I always feel so intimidated when I walk in and don't feel comfortable but feel like this is what is needed in order to keep continuing. I've lost a total of 25 pounds just by eating better, but I now need to tone things up a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    First think about what your exercise goals are short and long term (please don't say weight loss!).

Then arrange an induction at your gym where they should show you all the equipment and facilities and set you up with a basic program to get you started working towards whatever your fitness goal are.

Knowing where things are, how to use the equipment and having a basic program to follow should help those feelings of being intimidated.

PS - try to avoid saying "tone things up a bit" when explaning your goals as it's too vague with different meanings to different people. Give your PT something definite and measurable to work with and design a program around.

Longer term do try everything available as finding the one (or more) things that inspire you and you actually enjoy help massively with long term adherence to an exercise schedule.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything @sijomial said. Most beginners start with a 3-day full body workout. Vary your routine between days so it’s not boring.

Start your workout with compound lifts (deadlift, squat bench press, overhead press) and finish with isolation work (biceps curl, calf raise, triceps extensions).
    Concentrate on proper form and range of motion, don’t immediately go for the most weight.

And no one in the gym is watching you, they are all busy with their own workout. Good for you to take this step.
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Totally get you, I felt the same way when I first started going into the gym about a year ago! Safe to say, this feeling goes away quickly once you go regularly. Still, I've got a few tips which you may find helpful.

For one, take it easy. You know you are uncomfortable in the gym and deciding to go anyway is a big step, one that will ultimately make you stronger and more confident. The first few times you go, be kind to yourself. Maybe your only goal is to visit the gym. Even if you don't exercise, going inside is a success (and more often than not, you find yourself wanting to do a few exercises anyway :wink: ). Next time, your only goal is to use one machine/do one exercise; then two. You can ease yourself into becoming a regular then. And you will realize too that nobody is judging you.

I also recommend following a workout plan if you are new. There are tons of free resources available online, many of them tried and tested. This takes the pressure off you, trying to do the right thing, and has at least helped me to try out some exercises that I otherwise wouldn't have done. For example, I remember being intimidated of the barbells and squat racks in my gym as this was where the "big guys" go but it was a big part of my training plan so eventually I pushed myself to go. Same thing as above, even if you just do one rep - before you know it, you won't even think about who else is there. I started out with the 5x5 program, then went into PPL (push-pull-lift) and even now I use Freeletics sometimes to guide me. But there's lots more out there for different goals.

When you go more often, you will get to know the busy and downtimes of your gym. Some even have an app for this purpose. It might be easier going when there are less people in the gym. And you don't run into the risk of your equipment being taken. (similarly, it can feel more private when it's really busy too as everyone's focussed on themselves and you can get lost in the crowds. Still, often the best machines/weights are taken then...)

I hope these help and please keep us posted. The gym has done so much for me physically and mentally and is has literally taken me years to build up the courage to go regularly. So worth it!

• AlekseyMorrow
    AlekseyMorrow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello Heather.

Congratulations on losing 25 lbs. Some would say that is the harder part of the fitness journey.

The gym can be intimidating but it doesn't have to be. What I would recommend is to start with bodyweight compound exercises.

Compound Exercises-exercises that engage two or more different joints to fully stimulate entire muscle groups and multiple muscles

Some examples are push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, and hinging. By focusing on those and mastering the form you will build excellent muscles and confidence and over time, you can start to add external resistance to make the movement more challenging.

Do Full Body 3 times per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)

Example Workout
    Squats
    Pull-Ups
    Lunges
    Push-Ups
    Back Extensions
    Side Plank

Let me know if this helps.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer. Trust that LEARNING correct form is important. You really can't learn that from a video because there's NO FEEDBACK on your own execution of the exercise you're performing. Can't tell you how many times I've had clients try working out on their own then come to me and have to relearn the correct way to execute an exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    At a new gym I like to join a class or two. Meet some of the regulars. That always help (socially) and you can see same people there. Makes it fun. If you tell the instructors you are new, they are usually super nice and make sure you are comfortable with the workout, too.