To eat or not to eat..

Options
Before a workout? Hello, I am a mom of two and I am planning to wake before the kids and workout, should I eat before or after? I know it has been posted before but I never got time to read them..

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Before a workout? Hello, I am a mom of two and I am planning to wake before the kids and workout, should I eat before or after? I know it has been posted before but I never got time to read them..

Everyone is different.

At the most, I have a banana. I usually don't eat. I don't feel sick like some people say they do.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I eat a half of a granola bar if I work out first thing in the morning.
  • Colleen_OBrien
    Colleen_OBrien Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have heard it's better to workout on an empty stomach! You burn more fat that way!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I can eat if I'm just doing weight training. If I'm running, I can't eat anything for a couple of hours before.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I was thinking to eat after and just drink a bunch of water before.. But I wanted opinions..
  • clt052902
    Options
    i seen an article once that said working out on an empty stomach is better but if you start cramping or anything then eat a small something:happy:
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    I have found either way is fine for me but obviously don't have a big breakfast and train straight after, if you want to eat before go for fruit and yoghurt or muesli or something small and nutritious like that and have a good hour in between if possible. Working out having just eaten can give you stitch, belly ache, bloating, indigestion... it seems your digestive system is put on standby when you work out I find and anything you've just eaten, or even large guzzles of water while exercising seem to just sit in the stomach feeling wrong.
  • daves160
    Options
    When I wake up , I eat a 1/2 cup of greek yogurt. I can't really eat antything right before strenuous exercise. You may be different. Try and see, but I would suggest studying up on what is the best thing to eat before a workout.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would say eat after - from what I understand, your body uses energy from food before it uses stored energy (fat), so if you have used all your food energy while sleeping and workout on an empty stomach, you will burn more fat. If you find you have much less energy during your workout, then I'd consider eating something small :)
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5:30 am and I drink water before and during, but I don't eat. I wait and eat after. Try it and see how you feel. If you feel sick, then eat something small before working out. A banana, apple, or maybe granola bar would do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have heard it's better to workout on an empty stomach! You burn more fat that way!

I heard that too, that you will burn off body fat this way, but you will also have less energy and may not be able to do as much or at as high of an intensity, and if the rest of the day you eat all your cals, you will not end up losing more, as you will not burn off as many calories from when you start eating to going bed, whereas with a workout in the middle you burn some of them off then.

You may even burn less fat for the day due to having less energy and a lower calorie burn workout, even though during your workout you may have burned more body fat. Instead of looking at it from the workout standpoint look at it over a full day.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For strength training or HIIT drink a protein shake for aerobic exercise dont eat anything.
  • Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    a banana or a peice of toast is probably best cause it wakes up your metabolism and gives you some carbs to burn during the workout so you are not buring muscle. Then have your real breakfast after the workout within 30 minutes to fuel your body and keep the metabolism going :)
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30am to workout, and I eat after my workout.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I would have something with a bit of protein about 30 minutes before your workout. Then eat something with protein and a bit of sugar within an hour afterwards. Both are important to make sure you burn as little muscle as possible, to build new muscle, and keep your energy up.