New! I'm losing my weight for the military.

Options
We have our 2nd yearly physical training test coming up and we had weigh-ins today. I've realized that I've gained about 10 lbs in the last 6 months of being in Italy. I realize that 10 lbs may not sound like much but by military standards, that's not good. I'm finally going to start taking better care of myself and get healthier. Here's to day one of the new me!

Replies

• blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    welcome and thank you for serving our country!! i hope that you find the support you need here and reach your goals!

if you are looking for friends, please feel free to add me!

good luck :)
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! :)
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thank you for serving our country and welcome to MFP!!!
  • bdglass
    Options
    I too know what that like...am in Afghan now and its is bad! This is a great place for motivation and help! Feel free to add me!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

A woman in my boyfriend's unit just got discharged because she couldn't make weight. :-( He said she was a great sailor (Navy), too.
  • kyliemarty
    Options
    Thank you so much. I appreciate it!
  • BORICUACHULA
    Options
    Awesome I actually have to lose eighty pounds to join the military lol! I'm going for the airforce reserves in a bout a year! I'm def not going to let that stop me!!! Good luck and feel free to add me as well :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My younger brother really wants to join the military. But he weighs too much. He's trying to lose the weight.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! My brother gained weight while being in the military...now he HATES PT. I guess it doesn't help that he is a chef. good luck on your lifestyle change. You can lose the weight!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome! This is a great place loose the weight. I was a military spouse. Our last base was in Aviano AB Italy. One of many reasons for the separation was his weight. It was too hard maintaing and counting calories. Too bad we didnt know about MFP then. Who knows...we might have stayed. That was 3 years ago. You can Friend me.:smile:
  • AdrienneB33
    AdrienneB33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

My husband is in the AF and I know ALL about the crazy requirements re: your waist size, etc.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • kyliemarty
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words! Good luck to you all as well!!
  • danyelle318
    danyelle318 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am in the AF, and the PT program has been a struggle for me. I actually test on Fri, but feel good about it this time. Being overseas doesn't help, I just PCSed from Germany, was there for 3 yrs and loved the food/wine. Good luck to you and feel free to add me if you want.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    We have our 2nd yearly physical training test coming up and we had weigh-ins today. I've realized that I've gained about 10 lbs in the last 6 months of being in Italy. I realize that 10 lbs may not sound like much but by military standards, that's not good. I'm finally going to start taking better care of myself and get healthier. Here's to day one of the new me!
    Apparently the Navy recently tweaked their numbers. My Sailor has to drop about 20lbs, even though he's the same weight he was when he was WITHIN regs. Apparently most of the base is out of regulation and is now being "forced" to work out 5 days/week. I've been DYING to get him to work out with me, so now it's happening on weekends before he's deployed (he's a Trident Submariner).
    He blames a LOT of it on the boat food during his duty days. Fried this, butter laden that, and not a healthy looking fruit or fresh veggie in sight most of the time! Ew....
    Go get 'em!