Options
In June my A1C was 6.8
I stopped all my meds December 1
Two weeks ago my NEW A1C was 5.8!!!

Replies

• sradams1
    sradams1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    YAY!! Good for you!! that is wonderful! my husband is T1 and we jsut got his A1C. Not as good as yours.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    In June my A1C was 6.8

what did you do?...exercise?

what did you stop eating?

how many carbs per day?
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    In June my A1C was 6.8

what did you do?...exercise?

what did you stop eating?

how many carbs per day?

This thread is 9 years old ;)
  • Live2InspireHope
    Live2InspireHope Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do my A1C in about 3 weeks again last time I was 7.2 so hoping to be back in the 6s feel it wont be perfect but coming down. Need to work on a few other issues to get it in the 5s eating way to much crap still from time to time.
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    ElMeroKeeQue Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I’ve also had my first totally normal blood work for the first time since I can remember. No drugs, just diet and exercise and I’m about to be 44!
  • Daniellekyleen
    Daniellekyleen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am currently on that journey! My A1C was 6.4 and in the last 6 months it went up to 7.7. I panicked and got scared straight. On week 3 of eating healthy, walking and biking. Taking my blood throughout the day, upped my water and stopped all other drinks including soda and Dutch Bros. 90 days I re-check. I have lost 12 lbs so far, hopefully is back in the 6's or 5's! I have too much life to live.
  • Jennyxooxoo
    Jennyxooxoo Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    That's so cool! I had my a1c checked in mid June and it was 5.7. I get it rechecked on mid September. Hoping it came down even more. Congrats to you and great job!
  • Jennyxooxoo
    Jennyxooxoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh shoot. Just realized how old the thread is. Oops.
  • frankborellimfp
    frankborellimfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it matters how old it is. A "good" A1C isn't a topic that ever gets old and people are challenged with maintaining it all the time. Type II Diabetes runs in my family so I pay attention to my sugar and A1C. My old primary care physician FREAKED when my A1C was 5.9. My new doctor FREAKED when he found out I put sugar in my coffee. I think the most important thing I've learned is that doctors give us guidance, not orders. My sugar (from blood work) is 94. A1C is about 5.5 now. Exercise and reasonable intake were key.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I’m not knowledgeable about A1C so my communication here may or may not be understandable
    My A1C has been and is about 5.4 so I was told that that was good. How ever, I when I took a blood test my insulin level I thought was off the map 204. Threshold 140. I eat pretty clean, no processed foods and sugar is not abundant in our house.

I was recovering from COVID (out of isolation) and taking niacin for cholesterol reduction (success) I read that illness and niacin can raise insulin levels. Not sure how to interpret A1C and insulin . I’m confused. Should I be worried?
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In Feb I was diagnosed with T2; A1c was 7.2 . I hired a registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor and changed my eating habits 180 degrees. In June, my A1C was 6.2 and my cholesterol (although still high) was within normal range. My continuous glucose monitor (which is usually higher than my blood glucose with a finger stick) reports that my average glucose is 107 this week.

I gave up refined carbs and saturated fat (I'm talking to you, filet mignon). Right now my dietician has me logging my food on Cronometer (an alternate app) to get a good feel for micronutrients. I am low in Calcium, Selenium, Potassium, and Phosphorus. Added Silk Cashew milk to deal with calcium and one brazil nut per day to address selenium. Leafy green veggies and mushrooms for potassium and phosphorus. My diet is the healthiest it's ever been! Hope it shows when I do my blood work late next month.

Exercise and adult beverages were my biggest obstacles. I read in an article that walking for 10 minutes, three times per day is actually better than a 30 minute walk for BG.... So I do laps around my backyard with my pups in hot pursuit. 😂

I highly recommend a continuous glucose monitor. The Libre 2 runs $140 per month out of pocket. I'm not planning on using it forever; just to get a good feel for how my blood glucose responds to different foods. It's really an eye opener. I had part of a Caulipower pizza and my BG went into the stratosphere. I'd thought it was a good substitute, but the number 2 ingredient was rice flour. No bueno for me.
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    jonni82014 wrote: »
    Hi
    I’m not knowledgeable about A1C so my communication here may or may not be understandable
    My A1C has been and is about 5.4 so I was told that that was good. How ever, I when I took a blood test my insulin level I thought was off the map 204. Threshold 140. I eat pretty clean, no processed foods and sugar is not abundant in our house.

I was recovering from COVID (out of isolation) and taking niacin for cholesterol reduction (success) I read that illness and niacin can raise insulin levels. Not sure how to interpret A1C and insulin . I’m confused. Should I be worried?

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about it. An A1C of 5.4 is considered pre-diabetes, I think, but you can still have a high reading. For example, I had part of a Caulipower pizza and there was rice flour in it. Gluten free, yes, but not refined carb free. My blood glucose went to 240 after that meal. Best of luck!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    jonni82014 wrote: »
    Hi

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about it. An A1C of 5.4 is considered pre-diabetes, I think, but you can still have a high reading. For example, I had part of a Caulipower pizza and there was rice flour in it. Gluten free, yes, but not refined carb free. My blood glucose went to 240 after that meal. Best of luck!

5.4 A1C is in the normal range, not pre-diabetic.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!