Mental Health and weight gain

Options
Hi all,

Back again. This is probably the 3rd go at it in the last 5 years. Successful in losing the weight but stress and depression creeps back in and I always binge and gain all the weight back.

Looking for support , feel free to Add me if you have the same struggles and want support as well.

Have a good day everyone!

Replies

• roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm on meds for mental health and I find they increase my appetite by messing with my hunger signals. I have researched this and found it to be true. So mental issues don't necessarily cause me to overeat but the meds I take for it are the problem. But I can't stop taking them, my mental stability requires that I take them. I know this wasn't particularly helpful to you but I wanted to share my experience
  • chrissyinbloom
    chrissyinbloom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am the same. Using food to cope with stress, anxiety, depression. I've decided I need to see a therapist to deal with the root cause of things. Meds alone aren't cutting it.
    Good luck to you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    roseym10 wrote: »
    I'm on meds for mental health and I find they increase my appetite by messing with my hunger signals. I have researched this and found it to be true. So mental issues don't necessarily cause me to overeat but the meds I take for it are the problem. But I can't stop taking them, my mental stability requires that I take them. I know this wasn't particularly helpful to you but I wanted to share my experience

Sounds like you have already researched alternatives so for others who are reading this:

Regarding antidepressants, yes, some can increase appetite. Others, ex: Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, are far less likely to have this side effect. My Wellbutrin stopped working for me last summer and my doctor and I tried a few different meds until we hit on Cymbalta.

(Disclaimer: Cymbalta is apparently very addicting - I start to go in to withdrawal about 45 minutes after a missed dose. I set several alarms to make sure I take it on time. For me, this inflexibility is worth it to feel like my old self again.)

My brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for going over 7 years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, chicken, fish, etc. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house. Mom's natural way of eating is basically the Mediterranean diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    BrettNS wrote: »
    Hi all,

Back again. This is probably the 3rd go at it in the last 5 years. Successful in losing the weight but stress and depression creeps back in and I always binge and gain all the weight back.

Looking for support , feel free to Add me if you have the same struggles and want support as well.

Have a good day everyone!

I used to be able to manage my anxiety and depression with exercise and eating well. Then the pandemic hit and I noticed my normal coping strategies were no longer working.

I'm in therapy now. I LOVE remote therapy - it is so much more convenient. When I need extra privacy I do it from my car.

8iz0j014wti6.png