Coconut Oil Pills

Options
Just started taking coconut oil pills. What is your experience or opinion of them??

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    What are they for? Do they make you smell like Hawaiian Tropic? Do they make you glow? Do they make you tan?
  • luvs2cook
    luvs2cook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about these. Why do you want to take them? What benefits to your health do they provide?? Just wondering.:smile:
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I did coconut oil for a while. I lost weight, but eventually could not swallow it. Texture issues. The oil is solid like lard! I felt great while using it.

Anxious to hear how it works for you. At least its all natural!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I did coconut oil for a while. I lost weight, but eventually could not swallow it. Texture issues. The oil is solid like lard! I felt great while using it.

Did you just eat the oil by itself? :noway: Or were you using it for cooking?
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you are using them for.... but I'm a big fan of coconut oil for cooking. Kitchen smells great! I also use it as sunscreen. body lotion and make up remover..... can you do that with the pills?
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    They are supposed to aid in weight loss and also be benficial to your skin;hair;nails;etc.....
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    They are supposed to aid in weight loss and also be benficial to your skin;hair;nails;etc.....

Ohhhhhh sounds promising! Might try it!
  • monih10
    Options
    I don't know what you are using them for.... but I'm a big fan of coconut oil for cooking. Kitchen smells great! I also use it as sunscreen. body lotion and make up remover..... can you do that with the pills?

I think you can use the pills pretty much the same way except for cooking....they are suppose to work from the "inside-out". I have read several articles about how they are good for aiding in weight loss and also good for your skin and hair.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I took one TBSP three times daily. I felt great..super energy etc! BUT..oh my the taste and texture, to this day makes me gag. I did not cook with it.

SIde effects....several trips to the restroom.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I do it both ways................ I use it to cook with, put in my coffee and tea, eat it straight up and I also keep a jar in each bathroom because it is great for shaving, cleansing moisturizing, hair conditioning, etc...............

I don't believe the dosage in the pills is great enough to reap the benefits of the coconut oil. Check out my blog for information on coconut oil and coconut water.

http://primal-lioness.blogspot.com
  • meganrae_42
    meganrae_42 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take them because they help with my eczema alot :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Yep, yep - I am the same.

Coconut oil I use for just about everything..................
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

I took one TBSP three times daily. I felt great..super energy etc! BUT..oh my the taste and texture, to this day makes me gag. I did not cook with it.

SIde effects....several trips to the restroom.

Wow! You're one strong lady to have been able to make yourself do that! You go girl.
  • Sunshine_228
    Sunshine_228 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well that is good to know. Keep us posted on how it goes
  • monih10
    Options
    Well that is good to know. Keep us posted on how it goes

Thanks! I'll let you know....hoping to get some of the benefits....thinking of using the oil for cooking too...=]
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just googled to check it out and I found this article...

Not sure if it holds any weight but I thought I'd let everyone know.

US experts yesterday warned against consuming large amounts of coconut oil after Australian supermodel Miranda Kerr said the high-fat oil was the key to her clear skin, shiny hair and trim figure.
    Kerr told Australia's Cosmopolitan magazine that she had been consuming the oil since she was a teenager.

"I've been drinking it since I was 14 and it's the one thing I can't live without," the new mother said.

"I will not go a day without coconut oil. I personally take four tablespoons per day, either on my salads, in my cooking or in my cups of green tea."

But experts said the oil, which is a saturated fat with a high calorie count and few vitamins and minerals, should not be consumed in such large doses, ABC News reported.

The World Health Organization has also warned the oil could contribute to an increased risk of coronary heart disease if taken to excess.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    Related CoveragePictures: Marvellous Miranda
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    Keith Ayoob, director of the nutrition clinic at the Children's Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, said the oil will not give you the body of a supermodel.

"I can't say I'd want people consuming lots of coconut oil. You should use it sparingly," Ayoob said.

"You want to cut back on saturated fats in your diet. I don't know what benefit it would have for weight management because it has just as many calories as any other fat."

Kerr's dose of four tablespoons a day adds up to about 460 calories, which Ayoob said was too much saturated fat for most people.

"She's getting two and a half times the amount of saturated fat I would recommend for a person consuming 2,000 calories per day," he said.

Dr. Robert Eckel, director of the General Clinical Research Center at Colorado Health Science University in Denver, also expressed concerns about the effect of the oil on a person's cholesterol.

"Saturated fat intake does contribute to LDL [low-density lipoprotein] cholesterol, and that has been pretty well documented by research," Eckel said referring to "bad" cholesterol.

Ayood recommended people consume 28 grams of dark chocolate - at about 150 calories - instead of coconut oil.

"It probably has more nutritional benefit than coconut oil," he said. "And it's certainly going to be more satisfying."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/miranda-kerrs-coconut-oil-habit-risky-warn-experts/story-e6frf96o-1226122866473
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also found this from Mayo Clinic...

Question
    Coconut oil and weight loss: Does it work?
    Can coconut oil help me lose weight?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    Proponents of coconut oil and weight loss say that the high fat content of coconut oil can paradoxically help you lose weight. However, the few research studies that have specifically examined coconut oil — or the type of fatty acids it contains — have shown mixed results for weight loss.

Coconut oil is a tropical vegetable oil that's made from the dried fruit (nut) of the coconut palm tree. Coconut oil consists largely of a certain type of saturated fatty acid. One tablespoon of coconut oil contains 117 calories and 13.6 grams of fat.

Supporters of coconut oil and weight loss say that despite its high calorie and fat content, coconut oil boosts your metabolism, gives you energy, makes you feel more full and improves your thyroid function. They say that the type of fatty acid in coconut oil is a healthy one, and that your body quickly burns it for energy.

A coconut oil diet or coconut diet typically suggests eating as much as 3 tablespoons of pure coconut oil a day or substituting it for other oils and fats normally used in cooking or baking. Some coconut oil diets also suggest that you eat a diet that's low in carbohydrates, while other coconut oil diets require you to work your way through several stages, including carbohydrate restriction and colon cleansing.

Although eating coconut oil in moderation for a short-term diet probably won't harm your health, it may not help you lose weight. And keep in mind that coconut oil actually has more saturated fat than do butter and lard. For successful, long-term weight loss, stick to the basics — an overall healthy-eating plan and exercise.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/AN01899