First Time Running!

Options
Hello Everyone,

I have been hating running since forever! But tried to venture on walk/run combination and today, I tried to run my very first 20 minutes run. It was tough and hard but able to conquer the 20 minutes! Advice and motivational tips are welcome! Be safe everyone!

Replies

• andrewretzlaff4674
    Options
    I'm a 17 year XC athlete , but looking at your post I can say that one of the easiest ways to enjoy running is to run with someone, or listening to music also empowers you to run. It pushes you past the mental challenges of running. Also ... if your sore , ice and rollout ! It will hurt, but you will not regret it !
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's fantastic! Having been on and off for years, it took me too long to be able to run 20 min. Making progress is definitely the easiest form of motivation. I have started running again last month too and been consistent since. I use the Nike Running App and their training plans which are free and guided, whereas in the past I used to run by myself without music/podcasts. It's quite nice seeing your stats and in the "Get Started" plan, there is lots of variety with speed runs, intervals, long runs, easy runs etc. which helps keep things interesting. My boyfriend uses this app too. We are currently long distance and this is something that helps us stay connected. I can see his mileage and he mine, so a bit of healthy competition keeps us both going too. Plus, it's great sharing pictures of the places we've run to!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    I always hated running in school. I tried to get into running when I was in college, failed then too.
    Best advice I can give you: go slow... You need to be able to still talk while running, or you're pushing too hard.
    A few months after I started losing weight, three years ago, I transitioned from (fast) walking to running. My running speed was lower than my walking speed, but that's what I needed to gradually build up endurance. And with endurance, building up my mileage, I gradually increased my speed as well.

I started in November as a 'master couch potato' running at barely 3.7mph, running less than 6 miles per week. Now my running speed is usually between 5.3 and 5.9mph and I average 20 miles per week. And I get anxious when I can't run, not something I would have ever imagined :mrgreen:

The Couch to 5k program is great for beginners, if you like the run-walk approach.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I second the c25k ap. I have been running consistently since starting the program in 02/22. I am in no way fast, but faster than the couch potato I was.

Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes that are properly fitted. Build up slowly.

I run with music as it has a way of moving me forward. I love to run outside, not so much with the treadmill.

Happy Running
  • AlekseyMorrow
    AlekseyMorrow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good work bro.

In the beginning, I would recommend, going for easy runs. Leave your ego at home and focus on a nice and slow aerobic pace.

This pace will feel slow but it will build your endurance the best. If you are running with a friend, then you should be able to have a conversation with him. If you are running by yourself, subtract your age from 180 (180-age) and that will be your limit for aerobic capacity.

This will feel slow and but it will build up your confidence and your endurance in the long run.

Enjoy your run.
  • poharry34
    poharry34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I third the Couch 2 5K program. I am a big advocate of the walk/run method. I am into the 2nd week of the program and it has not been bad. I was running 5 k 9 yrs ago. when fall and winter hit I stopped. I have not achieved it since. I am going to slow in hopes of getting my wind and legs back doing Couch 2 5K. I will do this until next spring when I hope to run in some actual 5Ks. I am 59.
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @mrmota70 This is fantastic, great job! And as you said, take it easy, it's never too late to start. Something I learned along my running journey is that every run counts; something is always better than nothing. Even if I only have the time or motivation to run 5 minutes or 10 minutes, I look back to it at the end of the day, glad that I took the time to go out and run anyway, even if it's not as long or good as I hoped it would be. And with 52? I can only hope I'll still be running then, like you.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Just as others have said - firstly - awesome!
    Secondly, there really truly is no worse thing than an overuse injury that makes it so you CAN'T run.

Increase your pace or mileage or duration slowly. Listen to your body and try to learn what is an 'I've gotta stop right now' pain or a 'Lemme run through it' pain. VERY important to spot the difference.

Have rest days. You may not *have* to...but it's a good idea to have some rest days that are actual REST days where you don't do anything other than some stretching maybe or mobility stuff. Other 'rest' days of mine are active recovery where I will be walking or doing an easy hike or something.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Well done, beware, it can take over your life :D

My top tips: audio books or podcasts, helps distract me.
    Find somewhere nice to run, even its just once a week at the weekend. If you can find some lovely park/trails, it makes a big difference.
    I do better with an event to train for. Worth looking to see if there is a nice relaxed 5k fun run happening near you in a few months. Often there are themed Christmas ones that are fun. A target helps keep to the plan, even better if you can rope in a few other people, makes it harder to not show up. (I like to look for the community charity ones with no time limit, where fancy dress/children/dogs are welcome, don't have to worry about being miles behind then)
  • Mikeruns2021donotaddme
    Options
    There’s been a lot of good advice given but just thought I’d offer my opinion. Best advice is to not run too hard everyday. You can try to run hard one day a week max but the rest of your runs need to be easy and relaxed. Running can be fun with friends, but as a solo runner I find that you can enjoy your runs no matter what as long as you pair it up with something you like. When I first started, I paired it up with watching my favorite things on tv or music. I’ve made a lot of progress and while I won’t be winning any Olympic medals or anything, I have made a lot of progress through consistent work and really enjoy it now. I’ve run a lot of different distances and enjoying setting new personal best

Let me know if you have any questions on specific items and I’d be happy to share my opinions
  • JamesyPaylor
    JamesyPaylor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Join your local parkrun or running groups! Seriously, getting involved locally you'll find that you are able to get advice, make new friends and push yourself further. I struggled for years running solo, wasn't until I started going to Parkrun that I was able to progress thanks to the amazing community.
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who suggests a couch to 5k program. I too hated running and it is still too early to say that I like it, though sometimes now (after a run) I have a short lived pleasant feeling of success. Pacing seems the key so as to build up stamina, if you go too hard too early it can be hard to keep up the work.