Losing weight gaining abs

I just started and I was wondering what I should do / eat to lose weight and gain abs

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    There’s a saying: “Abs are made in the kitchen.”

You have to get to such a low body fat percentage that it becomes very difficult to see them and very hard to keep them. Even then, some people never get there.

But, you would need to get down to single digit body fat percentages to see them. Exercise won’t create them, but it will show off whatever you do have if you can get that lean.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    briscogun wrote: »

But, you would need to get down to single digit body fat percentages to see them. .

Mmmmmmm, no. This image isn't 100% accurate, but it's reasonably close.

9dgbgtfxbgym.jpg

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,578 Member
    JBanx256 wrote: »

But, you would need to get down to single digit body fat percentages to see them. .

Mmmmmmm, no. This image isn't 100% accurate, but it's reasonably close.

9dgbgtfxbgym.jpg

Yep, agreed with JBanx256. I would think around 15% body fat is enough to show abs on *most* people depending on body type. Women tend to have a harder time, because we generally struggle to get to that body fat level, as we're designed to carry a higher fat percentage than men for baby making reasons. And yes, absolutely, abs are made in the kitchen, it's about getting rid of the fat that's covering them up.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    OP - it would be helpful if you told people about your situation for context.

You could be highly trained with strong/ chunky abs waiting to be revealed, not trained at all with under-developed abs.
    You could be obese, you could be normal weight......

Remember you have abs already - everybody does, but most people aren't lean enough for them to show.
    Concur with the above two posters 15% BF I would estimate as abs starting to show for most men but it's variable depending on muscularity and personal fat distribution. Also depends how cut / how much definition you are aiming for, a sharply defined six pack is far harder than looking good with a bit of an outline if the lighting is just right and a bit of a flex!
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    You need to lower your overall bodyfat percentage in order for abs to show. But to be honest, abs don't really matter that much. Some people's "comfortable leanness" which is a term I invented.. doesn't really let them get to a low enough bodyfat to just walk around with abs. Ever wonder why the Rock or Jason Momoa don't really have abs but they are really muscular?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    You already have abs. It's just covered in fat. So lowering your body fat % down depending on gender will reveal abs when % goal is usually reached (under 15% for men and 20% for women)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    There’s a saying: “Abs are made in the kitchen.”

You have to get to such a low body fat percentage that it becomes very difficult to see them and very hard to keep them. Even then, some people never get there.

But, you would need to get down to single digit body fat percentages to see them. Exercise won’t create them, but it will show off whatever you do have if you can get that lean.

The single digit thing is not true. Depends on your body shape. I had visible abs cos all my fat was in my bum and thighs. I'm thin wasted.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,406 Member
    I’d also caution you, it depends how large you start out. You may have extra skin remaining after weight loss that will hide visible abs unless you have it surgically removed.

Be willing to accept what you have once you get there, unless you’re prepared to take additional steps.

Having had a painful and slow healing breast reduction a decade ago, no way in hell am I having extra skin removed for the thrill of seeing abs. I know they’re there, they’re killer, I’m darned proud of them, I can feel them, I’m satisfied with that, the end.

Although, every once in a while I’ll lift my arms over my head to take a T or tank off during a workout, and someone nearby will do a triple-take and say,”damn, girl!” Occasional gratification. 😂😂😂
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    Whilst totally agreeing with everyone saying “you have abs and just need to lower your body fat”, I would also add that how visible your abs are is also genetic. You can change your appearance by building bigger abs and lowering body fat but not everyone will have that sculpted six pack. As an example, I got down to c15% body fat and couldn’t see one single ab As I had v little muscle. At c20% fat (my profile pic) you can just see an outline but I doubt I’ll ever have a visible six pack 🤷‍♂️ .
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Seffell wrote: »
    Although, every once in a while I’ll lift my arms over my head to take a T or tank off during a workout, and someone nearby will do a triple-take and say,”damn, girl!” Occasional gratification. 😂😂😂

*WOLF WHISTLES* @springlering62