Please Help Me

Options
I have been struggling with emotional eating for a long time and I went to see my nutritionist with no help. My career is at stake and I feel hopeless. I workout, and my appetite seem to increase. I have PTSD and when I get down I eat and eat. Yesterday, I had 1450 calories over and 600 over today. I am hoping somebody can offer some help or advice in this forum. I do not need anyone to tell me to control it. I have been trying on my own to do this. I have signs up all over my home telling me why I should not eat more than I need. I shop to feed my need, but just go right back to eating. Please help me, Please. I have too much invested in my career to lose it over this weight.

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to say but wanted to show support.
    I've found being accountable on here helps me.
    My diary is on show and everytime I log something I imagine othesr being able to see it.

The forums on here are great - as you know and I use this when I need to emotionally eat.
    I've lost more than I could ever have imagined on here and it's all because I'm accountable and people are so wonderfully supportive.

If you want to add me as a friend I will try and support that way.

Good Luck.
    Amanda
  • PPHHrr3344kk00wwtt
    Options
    You might be stressing yourself out too much! If you're sticking posters up around your house, You're reminding yourself "no... You're not allowed!". I know when I don't allow myself something, I want ti a billion times more. Focus your energy on other things than food consumption, Chances are when you're not so stressed about it, you wont eat as much.
  • peterc9
    peterc9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I just wanted to say keep in touch with this very supportive forum... I'm sure there are so many people who can relate to what you're saying. I agree with the comment that stressing makes it much harder and maybe that stress is the first thing to deal with. I do think that exercise is the key, but thats just my own personal observation. All the best - you aren't alone.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I agree that the signs and constant reminders ought to go. They are clearly not working and are likely exacerbating your fixation. Find something else to obsess about...something healthy or at least productive.

There are a lot of things you can change. But, ultimately, it comes down to self-control. You just have to handle it. Which, I know from personal experience, is easier said than done.

Good luck.
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    Personal question: Do you take medication for your PTSD? An antidepressant or anti-anxiety med?
  • shortstuff42
    shortstuff42 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    PTSD is pretty serious. Are you being treated? Please get help, you may be trying to tackle too many things at once. Stay connected to the forums.... We really care about you!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Hi from another Ladyhawk. :tongue:

It sounds like you're not addressing the source of your overeating - the emotions. To deal with emotional eating you need to work on lowering your stress levels in general, and find alternative ways of dealing with your emotions. I'm very much a stress eater myself, so I understand. I still struggle.

The biggest thing that has helped me is to stop avoiding the emotions and let myself confront them. The comfort we get from food really only masks the problems, just like a drug user trying to "numb" themselves with a high. We need to openly and honestly deal with the emotions. Only then can we move past them. If you aren't able to do this on your own, you might consider seeing a therapist who can help you express the issues you're facing and give some objective insight.

Stress management is huge, and is one of the things I have the hardest time with. I let myself worry too much, and then I tend to avoid the problems - which of course only makes it worse. Do some research on stress management techniques and you may find some that work for you. Distracting yourself when you feel the urge to binge can help. Instead of immersing yourself in the problem at that moment, when you're vulnerable, get up and go do something, ANYthing. Work out, take a walk, do the dishes....log onto MFP. :wink: Even if it only delays the urge to binge, those delays will get longer and longer and you may avoid the binge altogether.

Finally, it seems as if you're focusing a lot on negative thinking. "I can't have this", "Don't do that", etc. Try hard to work on a positive inner dialogue - when you catch yourself using a negative (don't, can't, shouldn't), try to find an alternate way to express what you're thinking with a positive. Instead of "I can't eat that".... "If I want to reach my goals, I need to eat right".

You can overcome these issues, if you work at it and stay focused. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i agree with those who say take down the signs. You need something else to distract you, a new "addiction" persay. I used to be an emotional eater, now I take hot baths, sip cups of hot tea and drink sparkling mineral water all night long, and these things comfort me. I work out but I guzzle water so my appetite isn't affected much. Do you drink enough water? Pms still gets me when it comes to sweets, but that's why I keep them out of the house. Only have healthy things in the house. Until you can get your emotional eating under control, only "binge" on things like celery sticks or something that isn't likely to cause weight gain. But slow down, enjoy the texture, taste and feel of the food in your mouth and think "Is this hurting my body or harming it" every time you take a bite. "Is this hurting my career or helping it?" This may not be the best advice, I feel you should seek professional help because food addiction is just as powerful as any, These are just strategies I have tried with success. when I was eating emotionally I was missing something in my life. Many things, but until I learned how to gain happiness I learned how to control my emotions other than with food. The great thing about our human nature is that we ARE strong enough to conquer our addictions. It may be tough, but should we choose to do it, we CAN overcome it. so can you :) Best wishes to you! Hang in there!
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    I really feel for you, it sounds like you're in such a bad place right now.

The very fact that you want to help yourself stop is a step in the right direction. Can't you replace some of those negative signs with positive ones? 'You're doing so well!' 'Make the right choice - you know you can!' 'You are SO incredible - well done for resisting temptation'?

Love yourself. It really sounds as if you need to get that part right before you can work on the symptoms it's causing.
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    these meditations should help you with your stress http://www.meditationsociety.com/108meds.html try reading one before you want to over eat.

also, try dtinking loads of water before you over eat, it might make you over eat by a smaller amount
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    PTSD is pretty serious. Are you being treated?

I guess this would be the better question than "Are you on meds." See, here's the thing. PTSD is a mental health situation, and no amount of positive thinking, nutritionists, notes, etc. is going to help you when you have serious psychological reasons for doing what you're doing. You said it yourself. You can't do it on your own, and unless you understand the severity of PTSD and take it seriously and get help, you will feel down and down a lot. I'm guessing that not many of the other posters have experience with this kind of issue, so you can follow their advice all you want, but you'll keep coming back to the root of it.

You asked "please," and I am helping you, by advising you to seek treatment if you haven't already, and be open-minded when it comes to therapy, and possibly, medications. There are a lot of co-morbid disorders that can present with PTSD, and you may need to tackle it from more than one angle. I'm saying this out of experience, and love. Good luck. Please keep us posted.
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    are you seeing a therapist for the PTSD?
  • ladyhawk
    ladyhawk Posts: 101
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I will take down the signs. To those of you who asked, yes I am being treated for the PTSD with meds and therapy. I have not been to my therapist for a while because I just want to stop the meds and the therapy. It feels like my life is trapped in these things. I guess that is not a wise idea. I know what PTSD can do to someone. I am doing my research dissertation on it because after I got back from deployment I saw how it affected my family negatively. So I am on a quest to put out information so people can understand it. Again, thanks for your insights. I will definitely take down the signs and I may or may not replace them with positive ones. Thanks for the meditation site. I like that!.

Is there a way where I can open my diary to the forum so others can see what I am posting in my food diary? That way, I could be accountable to everyone here. At least those who care about my experience right now. Thanks again and God bless!
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I will take down the signs. To those of you who asked, yes I am being treated for the PTSD with meds and therapy. I have not been to my therapist for a while because I just want to stop the meds and the therapy. It feels like my life is trapped in these things. I guess that is not a wise idea. I know what PTSD can do to someone. I am doing my research dissertation on it because after I got back from deployment I saw how it affected my family negatively. So I am on a quest to put out information so people can understand it. Again, thanks for your insights. I will definitely take down the signs and I may or may not replace them with positive ones. Thanks for the meditation site. I like that!.

Is there a way where I can open my diary to the forum so others can see what I am posting in my food diary? That way, I could be accountable to everyone here. At least those who care about my experience right now. Thanks again and God bless!

Hi - Just wanted to show my support for what you are going through. I am prior service and have been working at Brooke Army Medical Center for the past 6 years. I have seen more than a fair share of PTSD patients go through here as well as TBI patients and many others. I am deducting from what I read, you are active duty military. I know sometimes seeking help can feel like it has a negative stigma attached to it, but coming back from deployemnt with PTSD is a serious matter and there are numerous programs in place throught the military to help you deal with it. Please take care of yourself.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Definitely hope you're seeing a therapist. PSTD is tough to deal with alone. Also, have you thought of getting your blood sugar checked? I have a huge problem with just being hungry all the time and I found out I was diabetic. The high blood sugars make you more hungry. Add to that a little anxiety and its non-stop picking all day. You might be eating because you're feeling hungry.

My advise is in addition to a therapist and a check up, vow to look up the calories of stuff BEFORE you eat it every single time. I know that if I do that, the thing just doesn't look so inviting anymore. And stock up on tomatoes, cucumbers and celery. It's practically zero calorie munching food.
  • NatashaJayne23
    Options
    I think that maybe you should go see your doctor and enquire about speaking to a psychiatrist to help you deal with your emotional issues which you are covering up by eating? Maybe if you attack the emotional problems head on your appetite will shrink and you will find it easier to diet? In the mean time I would suggest not logging your calorie count online but on paper personally and when you want to eat try healthy snacks instead of high calorie snacks. I honestly think that dealing with your emotional issues will make a massive difference to your life but from personal experience I found that I ate MORE whilst I was trying to overcoming my issues hense me saying not to log online. These are only my opinions ultimately you have to do what is best for you!! Good Luck and Best Wishes xxx