Grocery Shopping...NEED HELP!!!!

Options
It seems that I am always eating the same things over and over again. I want some variety but I am afraid to venture out too far. My carb goal each day is 50g and my protein goal is 105. Can someone please help me to find great meals, and great snacks within these guidelines????

Replies

• Legalchica
    Options
    VEGGIES! Try new things! Beans are LOADED with protin. Try buying the dried ones and cooking them yourself. That way you control the content that gets added. What are you eating now? can you make ur diary public so others can see what your eating now to help you vary it up some?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of "Atkins support" threads on the Food & Nutrition board. I bet there are a lot of good ideas there or you can look through their diaries and see what they are eating.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use Eat This, Not That! the Supermarket Edition. I actually take it with me to the grocery store. It is amazing. Just a suggestion to help make choices while you're there!
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    A good rule of thumb : Buy ingredients, not products ! You'll be healthier and save money. If it comes in a package with a brand name, that's a good sign its overpriced and not as healthy for you.

Definitely go to the produce department first. Better yet, go to a farmer's market.

Anything you haven't cooked recently ? Buy it.

Anything you've never tried ? Buy it.

You really can't go wrong with veggies, but maybe skip the corn.

As far as recipes for veggies go, if I don't already have an idea in mind I just google the name and come up with lots of new ideas.

Definitely pick up a bag or bunch of carrots. Hungry ? Eat a carrot ! Need some "boredom food" ? Eat a carrot !

Most of us could stand to eat more _fresh_ fruit, especially if you use them to replace refined sugar.

If you eat yogurt, buy it plain. You can eat it plain sometimes, or else mix in (healthy, nutritious) fresh fruit instead of corn syrup and ink and preservatives.

Stay away from canned fruit as much as you can, and by all means "Just Say No" to fruit juice.

Whatever else you do, buy a huge sack of apples and keep your self stocked up. Apples are an awesome snack : they're sweet, they fill you up and stick with you. I eat one every day for breakfast, and another every day after lunch.

And once you make it out of the produce dept, buy yourself a whole lotta beans. Beans are yummy, super-cheap, and really nutritious. And they're another food that keeps you feeling full and satisfied for hours. They way food should ! Canned ones are okay, but for variety and value, dried is the way to go. Soaking them and discarding the rinse water is a good way to avoid getting gas. Also, the "good bacteria" in your gut adapt to a diet with lots of beans, so if gas is an issue, it is something your body gets used to. Anyway, once you learn how to soak dried beans overnight and toss them in a slow cooker in the morning, its a no-brainer.

Secret tip : any bean tastes even awesomer when its cooked with pig fat. Go ahead, check the calories : surprise, its not that high !

Next stop is the meat counter. You can make super-satisfying meals that fit in your budget and diet by using meat as an ingredient, or as a small-ish side, instead of a main course. Hint : don't forget about the non-industrial meats like bison and lamb, cornish game hen, etc.

Also, once you learn to broil fish (I use a cast iron grill pan), your life will change for the better.

Anyway, here's a few things I've learned to cook for myself since I started my diet. I vowed NOT to deprive myself of yummy, satisfying food, and so far its working. Mostly recipes i just online :

Chickpeas and ground lamb, with sauteed onion and garlic and spices (ginger, cayenne, cloves, cinnamon, paprika,...)

Cabbage and sausage with white wine (choucroute)

Salmon (or any fish) cooked in a cast iron grill pan, with kosher salt and pepper.

Roma tomato and cucumber salad (with salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar)

Yellow squash and tomatoes.

Spaghetti Squash, boiled 20 minutes. Use instead of pasta.

Lamb and eggplant ragu (recipe in cookbook, but about 3x more eggplant than lamb stew meat, with canned diced tomatoes, onion, and spices.)

Real, naturally ripened, non-supermarket tomato that's dark red all the way through : just slice it up and add a few drops of olive oil. Add salt and pepper. This is a meal !

Fresh beets, peeled and roasted in slow 3-4 hours cooker with a litle bit of V-8 juice. Amazing !

Greens (beet tops, spinach, ...) Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet, add garlic and crushed red pepper. Then just throw in the rinsed fresh greens and cook 'em until they're irresistable.

Bean soup : toss in 5 different cans (drained) of beans in a slow cooker, add a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, and a can of refried beans (stir this with a little stock first), bay leaf, pepper.

Quinoa with wild mushrooms (dried, let them soak in broth first) and chicken broth. If you've never tried quinoa, be sure to.
  • 1dragonfly
    1dragonfly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb : Buy ingredients, not products ! You'll be healthier and save money. If it comes in a package with a brand name, that's a good sign its overpriced and not as healthy for you.

Definitely go to the produce department first. Better yet, go to a farmer's market.

As far as recipes for veggies go, if I don't already have an idea in mind I just google the name and come up with lots of new ideas.

Definitely pick up a bag or bunch of carrots. Hungry ? Eat a carrot ! Need some "boredom food" ? Eat a carrot !

Most of us could stand to eat more _fresh_ fruit, especially if you use them to replace refined sugar.

If you eat yogurt, buy it plain. You can eat it plain sometimes, or else mix in (healthy, nutritious) fresh fruit instead of corn syrup and ink and preservatives.

Stay away from canned fruit as much as you can, and by all means "Just Say No" to fruit juice.

Whatever else you do, buy a huge sack of apples and keep your self stocked up. Apples are an awesome snack : they're sweet, they fill you up and stick with you. I eat one every day for breakfast, and another every day after lunch.

And once you make it out of the produce dept, buy yourself a whole lotta beans. Beans are yummy, super-cheap, and really nutritious. And they're another food that keeps you feeling full and satisfied for hours. They way food should ! Canned ones are okay, but for variety and value, dried is the way to go. Soaking them and discarding the rinse water is a good way to avoid getting gas. Also, the "good bacteria" in your gut adapt to a diet with lots of beans, so if gas is an issue, it is something your body gets used to. Anyway, once you learn how to soak dried beans overnight and toss them in a slow cooker in the morning, its a no-brainer.

Secret tip : any bean tastes even awesomer when its cooked with pig fat. Go ahead, check the calories : surprise, its not that high !

Next stop is the meat counter. You can make super-satisfying meals that fit in your budget and diet by using meat as an ingredient, or as a small-ish side, instead of a main course. Hint : don't forget about the non-industrial meats like bison and lamb, cornish game hen, etc.

Also, once you learn to broil fish (I use a cast iron grill pan), your life will change for the better.

Anyway, here's a few things I've learned to cook for myself since I started my diet. I vowed NOT to deprive myself of yummy, satisfying food, and so far its working. Mostly recipes i just online :

Chickpeas and ground lamb, with sauteed onion and garlic and spices (ginger, cayenne, cloves, cinnamon, paprika,...)

Salmon (or any fish) cooked in a cast iron grill pan, with kosher salt and pepper.

Lamb and eggplant ragu (recipe in cookbook, but about 3x more eggplant than lamb stew meat, with canned diced tomatoes, onion, and spices.)

Real, naturally ripened, non-supermarket tomato that's dark red all the way through : just slice it up and add a few drops of olive oil. Add salt and pepper. This is a meal !

Fresh beets, peeled and roasted in slow 3-4 hours cooker with a litle bit of V-8 juice. Amazing !

Greens (beet tops, spinach, ...) Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet, add garlic and crushed red pepper. Then just throw in the rinsed fresh greens and cook 'em until they're irresistable.

Bean soup : toss in 5 different cans (drained) of beans in a slow cooker, add a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, and a can of refried beans (stir this with a little stock first), bay leaf, pepper.

Quinoa with wild mushrooms (dried, let them soak in broth first) and chicken broth. If you've never tried quinoa, be sure to.

That was just awesome!
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input. I see a nutritionist, and she told me anything I can eat raw is a good carb. Most veggies....corn is something I should only eat every now and then. Beans should be limited, too. I'm not big on veggies, so how do you suggest I get into eating them?
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    You should try Quinoa. Its a grain but its also a perfect protein and its really yummy.
  • MjDavis1981
    Options
    What are the carbs in it? Where do you get it?
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Options
    A great website I have found that uses alot of whole/fresh ingredients in her recipes is www.skinnytaste.com I am not sure how low carb some of hers are, but I am sure she has a few. Either way, go check her out.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

^^^^^This is great. ^^^I would add cook your quinoa with non-fat, non-salt chicken broth. Also try brown rice. Venison (deer meat) is low fat if you hunt or know someone who does. If you are using canned beans don't just drain rinse well to remove more sodium. Season with your choice of herbs and spices. Pick up Diabetic Cooking Magazines or find online. They are all about low carbs and the food is excellent.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the input. I see a nutritionist, and she told me anything I can eat raw is a good carb. Most veggies....corn is something I should only eat every now and then. Beans should be limited, too. I'm not big on veggies, so how do you suggest I get into eating them?

Stir Fries cooked in coconut oil with spices and herbs. Roasted in the oven or on the grill drizzled with olive oil. Steamed with butter.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    You should try Quinoa. Its a grain but its also a perfect protein and its really yummy.

Quinoa is a pseudo-grain and actually a seed.
  • MjDavis1981
    Options
    I will ask my nutritionist about it. I am finally learning how to season my veggies for more taste. Doing pretty good at it.