Anyone else have trouble meditating?

Options
I’ve been trying to meditate more but it’s a huge struggle for me. I live in an apartment with paper thin walls so a quiet and peaceful environment is pretty much impossible to come by, and when I do manage to drown out the noise my mind still jumps all over the place.

Just wondering if I’m the only one struggling, or if anyone has any advice that might help.

Replies

• bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've never able to do it but I've become less awful at it with practice. For me it helps to lie down on my stomach, preferably with a pillow under my head, emulating my sleeping position as closely as I can. I'm uncomfortable relaxing in a group so I need a place where I'm not seen on heard. Instrumental music does not work for me at all, even with a guided meditation session, but music with lyrics does work amd music with lyrics in a language I don't understand is best. I'm really bad at breathing the way they want me to for relaxation but focusing a little bit on what my natural way of breathing is does help. Keeping my face muscles relaxed and thus my mouth open helps. Also envisioning my brain taking a bath works.

This way I got as close to meditating as I could so far. But this took months of practice and learning about myself. We mostly do it at the gym so there's noise from the boulder hall above us and people running around but in the end that doesn't matter because I learnt all of these other things about what allows me to relax that are much more important than silence, especially when all combined. Good luck figuring out what works for you but if you're anything like me it's gonna require a lot of patience and work.
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Have you tried ear plugs? You can buy inexpensive foam earplugs at most drugstores and groceries. Editing this to add you could also try noise cancelling headphones or headsets.

Your mind jumping all over the place is normal. A few tips that might help:

(1) Try to establish a silent witness that observes everything, including your thoughts. You are not your thoughts, not your feelings, and not your body. Keep coming back. You can use your breath as an anchor, the way an anchor keeps a boat from drifting away in the fog. You can also give your mind a phrase to repeat, like Not thoughts, not feelings, not body, I am, or another phrase. Again, everybody has problems with the mind jumping around, especially in the beginning.

(2) Our physical postures are linked to our thoughts and emotional states. Try to relax muscular tensions all over your body, from your toes on up to the small muscles in your face, including your mouth, eyes, and forehead.

Hope these suggestions help. Meditation is a wonderful practice.
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    @Hollis300 I wear noise cancelling headphones every day, but sometimes they’re still not enough. I have a sort of weird quirk where I’m ultra sensitive to noise so it makes it even harder to focus on the breathing/meditation. Guess I’ll just have to keep working at it, and try not to get so frustrated with myself when it’s hard
  • RaquelFit2
    RaquelFit2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @Hollis300 I wear noise cancelling headphones every day, but sometimes they’re still not enough. I have a sort of weird quirk where I’m ultra sensitive to noise so it makes it even harder to focus on the breathing/meditation. Guess I’ll just have to keep working at it, and try not to get so frustrated with myself when it’s hard

Maybe try walking meditation?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Yep. I can't do yoga because I just can't keep still long enough. I bounce my knee when I sit because I'm a figety person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Hollis300
    Options

I like the suggestion for walking meditation.

For quiet sitting meditation, can you go somewhere other than your home? Outside? In the back of a quiet empty church? In a public library? In a car in a quiet place?

Maybe this will be helpful. An example: I like to meditate in my car under the shade trees in a beautiful national park across the road -- and because it's a national park, sometimes another car will pull over and park right in front me, which makes me angry. But what did I expect? I am trying to meditate in a space other people use, so this is going to happen. This is a good time to look inside and step aside from our feelings. I am not my anger. If I can observe something, I am not it. I can choose reason instead.

This is a Buddhist practice (I am not Buddhist) that sometimes helps when I'm angry.
    Self-compassion meditation for moments of suffering:
    1. Put both hands on your heart, pause, and feel their warmth.
    2. Breathe deeply in and out.
    3. Speak these words to yourself, out loud or silently, in a warm and caring tone:
    "This is suffering,
    Suffering is part of life.
    May I be kind to myself.
    May I give myself compassion."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I've been a reluctant meditator for decades, lol.

I sign up for all the "Intro to Meditation" classes I see.

I do better with live guided practice. My church had guided meditation weekday mornings for three months this winter, which was great.

Absent a live class, I need to calm my mind down somewhat first, which is of course the reason yoga was developed.

Veterans and employees of certain VA facilities can access ompractice yoga/tai chi/meditation live zoom classes for free:

https://app.ompractice.com/veteransaffairs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I like listening (through my noise-cancelling ear buds) to music that is instrumental or not in English, generally Sanskrit, ex: Krishna Das.

I am very sensitive to noise as well. I have heard it referred to as Auditory Processing Disorder and an inability to sensory gate. Neurology at my VA was unfamiliar with Auditory Processing Disorder and referred me to another department that was also unable to help me.

I was supposed to have a consultation about inability to sensory gate - will have to see what happened to that.
  • Hollis300
    Options
    @Sinisterbarbie1 well said, and I hope your health has improved by now.
  • Lynnda7
    Lynnda7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Find a meditation app on your phone. I started five years ago and now I can do the guided meditations on my own. If you want to message me I will screenshot you the app I use it's great!
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I read recently that instead of the old advice to remove all thoughts and feelings from your mind while meditating, now there's a new style of meditation where you just acknowledge the thoughts and feelings and let them pass. So it's ok if your mind is busy. I was never able to do meditation until I started doing it that way. Also Bluetooth headphones and doing a guided meditation might help with the noise. People do meditation in all kinds of circumstances, even in war zones.

Also you don't have to do meditation perfectly to experience the benefits of meditation. I was recently in a hospital for panic attacks and we had a guided meditation class where in the background there was a girl outside having a manic psychotic episode and screaming. And also I was dissociating at the time. I still felt some benefits from the meditation and felt calmer and like I was closer to being back in my body again afterwards. It's the same thing with yoga. I felt intimidated by yoga and then I saw a Yoga with Adriene video where she says you don't have to do it perfectly and you will still get benefits from it even if you can only do a modified version of the moves.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @Hollis300 my health is much better, thanks! And I am glad to have stuck with the meditation practice too!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Rather than "meditate" I take that time to visualize - the topic(s) may vary, but I walk through whatever my topic for that day is in great detail. Example may be picturing a race, and I will focus on the tiniest steps, the mental processes, visualize various scenarios and how I want to react to them rather than how I have in the past that wasn't what I wanted.

This keeps me pretty focused.

As for the noise, my house can be fairly quiet, but headphones with some quiet meditative sound track playing helps me drown out even small distractions - a good sound reducing headphone may work well in your case.
  • conny717
    conny717 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started reading through some of these posts but due to limited time was unable to give them all the attention they deserve. Will do that this weekend.
    However, I do have a few recommendations. First is the Insight Timer App. It is not only the biggest database of meditations but also free. The mediations can be sorted by length, language, type, teacher, music and all sorts of other categories. (my favorite teacher is davidji – I have done several of his courses and he rocks) There is a pay version ($60/yr) which allows you to set bookmarks, take (brilliant) courses etc.
    Regarding meditating in a loud environment…the point of meditation is not to remove all thoughts but to be aware of them and let them flow without getting attached to them. It is being aware without engaging. Hence, if you are in a loud environment, accept the noise as part of the meditation. Do not fight it, just let it be. With practice, it won’t bother you anymore and become white noise. Just like going to the gym, if you meditate, you notice the benefits when not meditating. You are not as reactionary, calmer and more centered etc. But just like with the gym, this does not all happen after the first time. Bean by bean, step by step. Meditation is an awesome way to enhance your life, a real game changer.
    Feel free to contact me with any questions
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    RaquelFit2 wrote: »

Maybe try walking meditation?

I'll second this recommendation. Walking is the closest I can come to "meditation". It's as if my body needs something to do before my mind can be somewhat quiet.

Guided meditations never work for me because I start to fixate on some aspect of the speaker's voice, like the way they pronounce words or how their tongue clicks on certain consonants, and that defeats the whole purpose.
  • 137kitty
    137kitty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always have on hand Howard Leight - NRR 33 ear plugs on hand for times there is too much noise for peace. When I can't hear anything disturbing, it is easier to feel undisturbed, to focus and to meditate.
  • mhthestudio
    mhthestudio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have two words for you: Guided Meditations. I was a very distracted meditator, and I've been listening to guided meditations for a while now. I agree with others, you have to find a voice you can listen to and not fixate on their voice. Insight Timer is a free way to start and there are a lot online that you can try before you buy. Ashley Turner is my personal favorite, she has samples on her website and if you have a Gaia membership, she has some great ones there. After doing guided meditations for a while now, I'm beginning to be able to sit in silence and concentrate on my breath for over 5 minutes! Keep at it, you'll find a way there.
  • vsweatman
    vsweatman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I meditate for at least 15 min everyday this is included with my chants and prayers. I've been doing this for good few years. At first it was,difficult getting into a routine, I found that if you were to wear ear plugs or noise cancellation head sets, it works really well. Try a few minutes at a time and you'll get the hang of it. There's also other ways that meditation is preformed, like lying down, or standing with your eyes closed and breathing slowly. Don't be stuck with just the traditional sitting. Love hear back, if this works. Many Blessings.