Quick weight lose question... hopefully some of you can help

Options
I've always been in decent shape but about six months ago I really started to get into running and working out. I ran my first half marathon in May and have been training for my second one the end of October! I currently run and or workout 5 days a week. On average I run about 25 miles a week.
In the last six months since I started I've gained almost ten pounds. I would like to try and lose them or most of them anyways. I eat pretty healthy and consume between 1350 and 1450 calories a day. If anyone has any advice or input i would really appreciate it! Thanks for your help!

Replies

• auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Give us some stats, age, weight, height, # of calories you're eating, average daily burn, etc.. then we might could help :)
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    sounds like possible muscle gain? have you been measuring youself? you may gain but be getting smaller in size. there isn't much info to go on but it could also be some salt weight. it really does sneak up on ya.
  • Nichole1981
    Nichole1981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am a runner too and I also did my first 1/2 marathon in May. When I was training I found this article on Runners World.com and it helped me. Its called the Runners Diet:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-310-7771-0,00.html

Good luck in your October 1/2 Marathon!! :smile:
  • hzarack
    hzarack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 27 years old. I am about 5'2" and weigh 127. I consume anywhere between 1350 and 1450 calories a day sometimes more depending on my workout. I was thinking muscle gain myself at first but now it seems to be a lot!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs a lot. It sounds a lot like that.
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    IMHO, I doubt that it's all muscle gain. Maybe a few pounds, but not 10.
    Here's my 2 cents about losing the weight though...I did a quick BMR calculation for you with your stats, your BMR is 1264, with a sedentary activity factor of 1.2, your Total Expediture with no activity is 1517. Now, if you are running on average 25 miles a week, let's take an average for a 7 day period...that's 3.57 a day....I'm not sure your speed and burn rate per mile, but let's just say 300 cals for that run per day. You're burning an average of 1817 a day. I see why you are eating 1350-1450...aiming for a 500 cal deficit a day for a pound a week. Unfortunately when you only have a little bit of weight to lose, this is a bit too much of a deficit. Believe me, I know it stinks. I'm down to the last 13 myself and it is SLOW!!!! I would suggest setting your MFP goal to lose a 1/2 pound a week, eat your exercise cals and see where you are in 2 weeks.

ETA: If you are going to be increasing your mileage each week to train for a 1/2 marathon...make sure you increase your cals as well. You have to fuel your body if you want to it work for you:)
  • hzarack
    hzarack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for y'alls advice... I'm just gonna keep truckin along! That's all I can really do! Even if it is difficult!