Will this work?

Options
Do you think eating 1600 calories a day and walking 10,000 steps a day only will help me lose weight.

I am a 28 yr old Female 5'5" and 187 lbs been overweight my whole life. I struggle with sticking to a diet especially the exercise part so I wanted something simple.

Do you think this will help me? I have been researching seriously for the pass couple of weeks and settled on this.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I started out about where you are (5'5", 183 pounds, female), but much older (59 at the time). I lost most of 50+ pounds eating 1400-1600 plus all exercise calories, so I'd predict you'd be likely to lose at a decent clip eating 1600 and doing all that walking, plus much younger. (Unless I take intentional walks, I'm usually only 2500-5000 or so steps daily. I do other exercise, and ate al those exercise calories.)

Good overall advice above from riverside about how to proceed. I just wanted to add the personal anecdote from someone of similar size.

Keeping it simple and manageable is a really good plan. I hope you're doing that on the eating side, too: Figuring out how to make it manageable, practical, and even reasonably enjoyable to eat your 1600 calories (vs. doing some trendy, restrictive eating plan).

Best wishes!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Seems like a decent place to start. I'd say fairly confidently that you *could* eat more than that and still be in a deficit. But start here and see how you feel and what your results are. If you feel like it's not maintainable...then up it to 17/1800 and go from there.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is that instead of going by steps, you consciously take actual "walks." I say that because the steps around your house and to and from the car count but aren't getting your heart rate up at all. So maybe make a goal of walking a couple of miles a day or three long walks a week in addition to your regular "steps."