Zoloft (Sertraline) is it affecting your ability to lose weight?

Options
I've been on sertraline for about 6 months now and the very first month on it I gained 25 pounds (totally my own fault I was over eating to the max). However, I've now been back to logging and dieting with exercise and the scale is moving VERY slowly. This isn't my first time doing this and I've always had good results, I'm worried my medication is affecting me somehow.
Anyone else experience this?
Is there anything I can do about it?
I need to be on this, probably for the rest of my life, but he weight needs to come off!!!

Replies

15822 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been on sertraline for almost a year now and I gained weight in the beginning of that period (my last weigh in was actually June last year, so I can't say how much I gained at what times) - but I firmly believe it was my overall mental state that caused it. I started sertraline and anxiety medication after a stressful life event, I had been struggling with mental health for a while with an overall decline over the lockdown and then last September I started a postgraduate degree that's been quite tough as well. I also developed physical health issues in Spring and eventually ended up going on medical leave for 2 months.

But I'm better now. My mind is in a good place, my degree is going ok (still catching up, but there's light at the end of the tunnel), I bought a new bike - I love cycling and well I've lost 4,5 kg since June this year. 6 months is not that long - I think I was told it takes up to 12 weeks to start working, so there's hope you'll stabilise. The less stress you're in, the easier it is to take on challenges - be it cooking meals from scratch, trying exercise routines or not listening to your brain when it says you should give up.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    Options
    Weight issues related to medication are usually due to three factors:
    - water retention
    - lower calorie expenditure (being more tired and therefore less active, less fidgeting,...)
    - increased appetite
    The third issue you can actively combat by monitoring your intake, as you are doing now.
    The second one can also be somewhat controlled, if you can increase your (non exercise) activity level to compensate (or reduce your intake a bit, but that might not be a sustainable option - being hungry all the time isn't a good strategy)?
  • healingmysticmelody
    healingmysticmelody Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also started depression and anxiety medication after a traumatic life event. I take Bupropion (Wellbutrin) for depression and Buspirone for anxiety. They don’t cause weight gain. I take Trazadone to sleep at night. Getting rest really helps.
    The Wellbutrin was difficult for about 6 weeks. I read a lot to see if others had the same issues. I was getting super angry at things that would be an irritation any other time. It passed and I have been on it for over a year and it works well. The Buspirone for anxiety worked right away. Different medications work differently for people. I think mine slows the uptake of Dopamine and yours probably slows the uptake (re-absorbtion into the body) of serotonin. It seems people respond better to one or the other. The doc/nurse practitioner can let you know if it is possible for you to switch or not. I had told them straight out that I didn’t want anything that caused weight gain. The last thing I needed was to feel hungrier.
    The anti anxiety Buspirone is not very expensive. This is just some information. If you are comfortable with what you have, you will just have to work around it with the accurate advice above.
    I hope you find what works best for you! :)