The inaccuracy of pre packaged foods

Options
I always find it interesting when people post how off packaged foods are. I just had two instances recently so I wanted to share. Just goes to show how if you are not losing/gaining as intended, try weighing EVERYTHING you eat and you may find you were eating more/less than you thought. Especially if you eat the same items every day like I do.

First is Lenny and larry. Every cookie in this new box I got seemed like it was smaller than usual. Weighed it and it was 86g not the 113 it was suppose to be. That is over 100 calories less than stated on package.

p5hpfz4gv2fx.jpeg

Next is aldi hamburger buns. Suppose to be 120 calories for 43g. Mine weighed much more and came out to be 145 calories.

8ijvabr6ejcz.jpeg

Now I am in maintenance and even if I wasn’t I wouldn’t weigh my packaged things because I think it all balances out (some things a little less some a little more). But in some cases if someone was eating a few packaged things on the “more” side and had a super small deficit it could really affect their progress.

Also, I am wondering, are there any foods you’ve found that were a lot more or less than the packaging?

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    My favourite spicy snack mix that I top everything from stir-fry to salads to chili lists 171 calories per 1 cup (30 grams). I was counting it as about 25-35 calories since I knew I always used less than a 1/8 cup (2T) scoop per serving.
    Then I decided to weigh. Uh oh! My lean 1/8 cup scoop was actually more than 100 calories! One U.S. dry cup does NOT weigh 30 grams!
    gyza43pq5sa6.jpg
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This is a good thing to keep in mind. Another facet of packaged foods is that recipes and serving sizes change over time, so always compare what comes up on MFP to the label in your hand - if someone added the thing you're eating to the database 5, 10, 15 years ago, the information they entered may have been accurate in the past, but the company has since changed their recipe or redefined a serving size. The nutrition might work out the same (e.g., MFP says a serving is 150g for 200 calories, the label now says a serving is 120g for 160 calories which is the same calories per gram), but you have to check, especially if you're in a country that doesn't report nutrition info per a standardized measure in addition to whatever the serving size is (e.g. per 100g, which I understand is standard in many European countries).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    @MsCzar wow that is a big difference!

I just weighed one from another box and it was 130g which is 60 calories more at a whooping 530 calories for the one cookie!
    1jyn5txk9wgm.jpeg
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. Protein powd we, nut butter, nuts, etc. I find. Most food is not the same as on label.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    this is truly valuable information for those that are in the beginning of their lifestyle change. I weigh everything , count all calories even the 35 calories in my emergen-c I drink every day and any other supplement I ingest. It may not be that serious for some but it is for me so I when i note the weight loss has stalled i could look back and reflect to note what I was doing wrong.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    So true. Really makes a case for weighing everything. In my state, food manufacturers have to meet the total weight of the product that is stated on the bag/box. They are not required to make every item in the bag the exact same size. As long as the total is met, they are in compliance with state law.