So I am frustrated and need a PEP talk or advice

Options
This is my 3rd time in 4 years of using My Fitness Pal and this is the first time I have not seen the scale consistently go down. It has started really frustrating me. I am consistently eating in a 500-700 calorie deficit. I ride the bike 6 days a week, lift light weights for 4 days and the scale hasn't changed in 2 weeks. I will say the fist 3 weeks I dropped 4-5 pounds. But now the scale doesn't change at all. I have to use light weights due to a neck injury so I cant change that. On lower body days I use body weight. I am working hard and making good food choices. Fad diets, and giving up food groups does not work for me. I only need to loose 10 pounds. I will say I am in menopause but I desperately don't want to believe that this wont work and use it as an excuse. I kind of feel deflated but don't want to give up.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So are you saying you have lost 4 - 5 pounds total in three weeks while aiming for a just over 1lb/week weight loss goal?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,418 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is so frustrating! What are your current stats, how often and when do you step on the scale, and is your exercise or intensity new?
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    So are you saying you have lost 4 - 5 pounds total in three weeks while aiming for a just over 1lb/week weight loss goal?

I lost 4-5 the first three weeks and nothing the last two for a total of 5 weeks.

• ladybug4233
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Oh, this is so frustrating! What are your current stats, how often and when do you step on the scale, and is your exercise or intensity new?

I am 5'3'' 135 pounds. I weigh daily and I have been riding my bike for a few years and the strength training is new since 5 weeks ago.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    You've lost 4-5 lbs over 5 weeks, that's a perfect rate, nothing wrong with that! At your weight, I wouldn't recommend much quicker anyway.
    New strength training and a stall of only 2 weeks, combined with menopause: I vote for water retention issues as the most likely diagnosis, which simply requires more patience.
    It's normal to not lose weight every week, you need to evaluate your weight trend over at least a month.
  • sijomial
    Options

I lost 4-5 the first three weeks and nothing the last two for a total of 5 weeks.

OK thanks that's much clearer, wasn't seeing that timeline.
    Just about halfway to goal in five weeks.

Your recent resumption of strength training could well be responsible for some soreness/inflammation and resulting water weight retention/addition masking fat loss on the scales.
    If you are confident you are in a deficit you can be equally confident you are losing fat.

Another question for you - if at the start of this process a magician had offered you two choices which one would you pick?
    A/ Inconsistent weight loss but overall still on track at the halfway point.
    B/ Consistent weight loss but slower than desired.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Most of the weight you lost the first couple of weeks was water with a little fat loss included. Over the next couple of weeks your water retention leveled out and you continued to lose fat. I have found that, especially if I eat lower carb, my weight loss is really erratic, because any carbs after not eating them for a while would cause me to retain more water. The fact that you have changed your exercise level could also cause you to retain some water. Over time, it will even out. Keep doing what you're doing and you will see the numbers drop. It is frustrating, but if your logging is accurate, you will lose weight.
  • ladybug4233
    Options

Your recent resumption of strength training could well be responsible for some soreness/inflammation and resulting water weight retention/addition masking fat loss on the scales.
    If you are confident you are in a deficit you can be equally confident you are losing fat.

Another question for you - if at the start of this process a magician had offered you two choices which one would you pick?

Thanks for responding. I weigh and record everything so I know I am in a deficit. I am happy about the 5 pounds but I have 10 more to go. It was motivating when the scale was going down. Now I get frustrated. Thanks for listening. I love the questions you posed. Its funny I go back and forth. But I lean towards B.
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    Most of the weight you lost the first couple of weeks was water with a little fat loss included. Over the next couple of weeks your water retention leveled out and you continued to lose fat. I have found that, especially if I eat lower carb, my weight loss is really erratic, because any carbs after not eating them for a while would cause me to retain more water. The fact that you have changed your exercise level could also cause you to retain some water. Over time, it will even out. Keep doing what you're doing and you will see the numbers drop. It is frustrating, but if your logging is accurate, you will lose weight.

Thanks for posting. I weigh and record everything so I know I am accurate. I will keep the faith. I was so motivated when the scale dropped and now I get frustrated. Sometimes it's hard to trust the process. Especially when I keep hearing Menopause means you can't loose weight.
  • sijomial
    Options

Thanks for responding. I weigh and record everything so I know I am in a deficit. I am happy about the 5 pounds but I have 10 more to go. It was motivating when the scale was going down. Now I get frustrated. Thanks for listening. I love the questions you posed. Its funny I go back and forth. But I lean towards B.

It wouldn't be my answer but I did suspect that you really crave consistency.
    Of course this time next year it will only matter that you got to goal and maintained there, it really won't matter if you lost in a series of stalls and whooshes or a nice regular pattern.

BTW - my wife had a very sudden menopause 30 years ago (surgery) she has lost, gained, lost again and successfully maintained weight.

Keep the faith, you will get there.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Especially when I keep hearing Menopause means you can't loose weight.

Yaaaaaaaaaaah, don't listen to people who say that. While I personally haven't had the untold pleasure of going through it (yet), it's utter nonsense for anyone to claim that you CAN'T lose weight during menopause. If someone tells you that, ask for a concise explanation of the mechanism that allows women of a certain age (or age range, you know what I'm saying here) to defy the laws of thermodynamics.

THAT SAID, human metabolism does change (not for the better, unfortunately), at ~age 60 (reference: Pontzer et al. Daily energy expenditure through the human life course. Science. 373(6556):808-812, 2021)
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    This all sounds normal. Keep it up. Weight doesn’t come off every week.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would be another counter-example to disprove the theory that you cannot lose weight after menopause. I will be 70 years old 2 months from today. Since Aug 1, 2021, just a little over a year, I have lost 80 lbs. It is doable so long as you are in a calorie deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting. I weigh and record everything so I know I am accurate. I will keep the faith. I was so motivated when the scale dropped and now I get frustrated. Sometimes it's hard to trust the process. Especially when I keep hearing Menopause means you can't loose weight.

My 84 yo mother has a hard time staying above Underweight because she is super active and eats a lot of bulky, lower calorie foods.

You are active too - I suspect you are retaining water from some of the new exercise.

I GAINED 7 pounds when I started lifting weights again.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    By the way, as other people have said here, your rate of loss is really very good. You are only 10 lbs away from your goal and rate loss is slow at that point. Someone 100 lbs over weight can lose 2 lbs a week, but it would not be a good idea at only 10 lbs over. Even without TOM to deal with, water fluctuations easily mask fat loss when you are losing slowly.
  • DonnyStedham1
    DonnyStedham1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You may want to increase your deficit if to much your body will retain fat. Increase protein intake for more energy. Just a thought