Any Suunto 9 owners using the device for cycling and/or multisport?

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
I'm looking at changing out my trusty Garmin 920xt for a new device. The default choices for me would be the 945 or Fenix to support multisport activities.

Most of my friends are garmin fans, though one very serious triathlete has switched to the Suunto 9 Peak, based on its 3 button interface and ease of use. He loves the running/swimming and simple 3 button interface of the SUUNTO, as well as the look and feel of the watch.

The one area in question is the cycling data support(only 1 sensor stored, lack of IF/TSS tracking, etc.) He solves for this by using his Garmin 830 bike computer.

So my question: Has anyone purchased a Suunto 9 and had experience with it for multisport applications? General comments about the device: pros and cons?

Thanks.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've had one Suunto watch, the humble but mighty Core. I liked it. I have considered many of their GPS watches over the years but have gone with Garmin instead for various reasons. Suunto seems to do a good job and is ahead of Garmin in some ways.

Do you have an Edge or other device to capture your power data and give you advanced metrics? That would be a deal breaker for me, personally.

I have a Fenix 7, I think the touch screen has been a dramatic improvement in usability. It's become a fairly mature product at this point.

I would look at the 955 if I were you. Or the 255 if you're against the touch screen, but you can turn it on and off with a hot key so being there isn't a con even if you don't want it.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I have an old Edge 520 that still works. So I could get IF, NP and other stuff that way. In truth, I have trouble reading a watch's data when I'm holding the aerobars, since the watch face is angled away and I don't wear prescription sunglasses.

The Suunto is a fairly sleek device. I really need to research and shop a bit, since any of the newer Garmin or Suunto devices would probably be a quantum leap in styling and functionality versus my old school setup. Thanks for the tip re: the 955. Will give that one a look.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx, this is a total digression, but did you know that if you wear prescription glasses, you can now get magnet-on sunglasses for any prescription glasses style? IMO, these things are great. There's a very tiny magnet embedded in the glasses lenses, and in the sunglasses. I don't even notice the magnet in my field of vision - unnoticeable to me from the first moment, in the first pair I put on. The hold from the tiny magnets is surprisingly sturdy. This is what mine look like:

f2wck6qsq2of.jpg