Guess I'll do low carb now

Options
2»

Replies

• jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    +1 on patience. It sounds like you eat healthy food that you enjoy food and your weight _is_ decreasing. That is fantastic ! If you feel like your current eating patterns are sustainable (i.e., you're not making heroic sacrifices which continually test your willpower) then you are already successful. Just let it happen !

The only reasons to specifically choose a low-carb diet vs. generic calorie-tracking are 1) Many people find carbs to be the easiest type of calories to give up while still eating foods which are satisfying, and 2) Eating *too* many carbs, and especially the refined ones, have a wide range of negative health consequences.

Two things in particular to know about beginning a low-carb diet. 1) Eating carbs causes a fair amount of water retention. So often, when someone abruptly reduces their carb intake, they notice a pretty significant initial weight loss (the "water weight"). This is fun, but it just delays the disappointment of realizing that weight loss is a slow process. Also, 2) When your body gets fewer carbs than it is used to, it takes a little time to adapt. It's common to have a day or two of fatigue and dizziness. I had never heard about this and it was a bit scary until I learned why it was happening. After a day or so, your body adapts quite nicely. Anybody who experiences continuing fatigue or low energy or endurance is definitely doing something wrong. My experience has been exactly the opposite : I feel markedly less depressed, I wake up earlier in the morning feeling more "ready to go" than ever in my life, and although I've always been fairly lazy and "comfort-oriented", I'm finding I'm more excited about exercise than ever.

As for low-carb diets "failing", there is quite good evidence that this is true. And sadly this is equally true for low-fat and for any other type of diet out there. Anyone who is "on a diet" is at a fairly high risk of "going off" the diet, and the result is typically a rapid re-gain of all the lost weight and then some. This happens to people who start out overweight as well as people who start out at a normal weight. So the most important thing anybody interested in dieting should ask is "Is this an eating style I can live with for the rest of my life?" Just trying to slim down for a wedding, or beach season, etc., or going on a hard-core self-deprivation program is a recipe for disaster.
  • Statsol
    Statsol Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good post. This is sound advice.
  • abouthealth56
    abouthealth56 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is. It's common sense. Thank you for feedback. It has definitely helped me see a bigger picture!:glasses:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    5 lbs is great! it's totally normal for me to not lose in a week, or even 2 weeks, but then the next week i'll drop a couple. in fact i haven't lost weight for a couple of weeks so i'm really hoping for a good weigh in soon! losing weight takes loads and loads of patience! good luck :)
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer, and the common thing that happens from people that are on low carb diets lose weight fast, but always gain it back, plus they do not have as much energy. 50% of your diet is supposed to be carbohydrates. This is where the body gets it's energy. The problem is people do not know the difference between simple carbs and complex carbs. Simple carbs are the ones that you want to avoid, white bread, pasta, pizza, spaghetti, white rice, sweets, soda's, etc... Simple carbs spike insulin levels and cause fat storage. However complex carbs, foods high in fiber and whole grains cause weight loss. Most fruits and vegetables, 100% whole wheat products, oatmeal, etc... promote weight loss. So please do me a favor and do not get on a low carb diet and just stay away from simple carbohydrates!! This is for permanent weight loss :)
    35 days on MFP with weight loss of 5 lbs. Working out about 7 hrs. weekly, eating below my caloric range for probably 33 of the 35 days, etc. Today was weigh day--Zero weight loss in past week despite tweaking my diet to include only 2 starches per day and eaten only after my workouts. Anyway, I'm feeling a liitle discouraged, but not giving in to it. Was reading about low carb eating and how I need to keep my carbs at 100 g. or less per day. I'm going to do this for one week to see if the scale will budge. I would like positive feedback on how successful a low carb diet has been for others. Any help is appreciated. P.S. I'm 5 ft. tall, 154 lbs., post menopausal, endomorphic(apple shaped), medium bone structure, on no meds, with 1st goal wt. of 135, final goal of 125.
    Gag. So much misinformation, I am *shocked* that it was written by a PT.
    First, people on low carb diets don't "always" gain it back. There are many low carb dieters who've stayed on the diet for a decade or longer who've kept their weight off.
    Second, there is no physiological reason that 50% of your diet should come from carbs. There is no physiological reason you have to have any carbs in your diet, however, some carb sources such as vegetables also contain other important nutrients which are healthy. No one needs grains, whole or otherwise, either, particularly the genetically bastardized grains most people currently eat. OTOH, try completely cutting fat or protein out of your diet and see what happens--have fun in the hospital.
    Third, low carb does not mean no carb. The most popular low carb diets I know about all recommend multiple servings of vegetables per day, even in their introductory or induction periods. Most of them also allow for a gradual reintroduction of more carbs after you've acclimated yourself to the diet to the point that you still lose weight or at least maintain the weight you want.
    Fourth, your last statement to "please do me a favor and do not get on a low carb diet and just stay away from simple carbohydrates!!" is contradictory as I've explained above. Low carb diets recommend staying away from refined carbs, starches, and grains and only eating "good" carbs. Why don't you actually do some research on what exactly low carb diets are before ignorantly shooting your mouth off about them?
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    +1 on patience. It sounds like you eat healthy food that you enjoy food and your weight _is_ decreasing. That is fantastic ! If you feel like your current eating patterns are sustainable (i.e., you're not making heroic sacrifices which continually test your willpower) then you are already successful. Just let it happen !

The only reasons to specifically choose a low-carb diet vs. generic calorie-tracking are 1) Many people find carbs to be the easiest type of calories to give up while still eating foods which are satisfying, and 2) Eating *too* many carbs, and especially the refined ones, have a wide range of negative health consequences.

Two things in particular to know about beginning a low-carb diet. 1) Eating carbs causes a fair amount of water retention. So often, when someone abruptly reduces their carb intake, they notice a pretty significant initial weight loss (the "water weight"). This is fun, but it just delays the disappointment of realizing that weight loss is a slow process. Also, 2) When your body gets fewer carbs than it is used to, it takes a little time to adapt. It's common to have a day or two of fatigue and dizziness. I had never heard about this and it was a bit scary until I learned why it was happening. After a day or so, your body adapts quite nicely. Anybody who experiences continuing fatigue or low energy or endurance is definitely doing something wrong. My experience has been exactly the opposite : I feel markedly less depressed, I wake up earlier in the morning feeling more "ready to go" than ever in my life, and although I've always been fairly lazy and "comfort-oriented", I'm finding I'm more excited about exercise than ever.

As for low-carb diets "failing", there is quite good evidence that this is true. And sadly this is equally true for low-fat and for any other type of diet out there. Anyone who is "on a diet" is at a fairly high risk of "going off" the diet, and the result is typically a rapid re-gain of all the lost weight and then some. This happens to people who start out overweight as well as people who start out at a normal weight. So the most important thing anybody interested in dieting should ask is "Is this an eating style I can live with for the rest of my life?" Just trying to slim down for a wedding, or beach season, etc., or going on a hard-core self-deprivation program is a recipe for disaster.
    I generally despise "me too" type replies, but your post was so well written I'm going to do one anyway. Very well said. You have given a balanced view of low carb which is both rare and refreshing. The diet isn't for everybody but as you eloquently stated neither is any another diet for everybody. Your last two sentences are particularly incisive in my opinion and I hope the OP and anyone else reading them takes them to heart.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I often eat less than 100 g of carbs, though I don't do it purposely nor have I ever considered my diet low carb. With few exceptions, I only eat whole grains (usually brown rice or quinoa, and bread or pasta occasionally), veggies and fruit. Very little sweets (desserts). This usually comes out around 100 g, Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

This works for me (I met my goal a few months ago) and I suppose is considered low carb by some. But I don't ever think "I can't have this because it has carbs". Rather, I think "I don't want this because it has refined carbs or sugar".

THIS. If you are under your calories but eating refined processed foods, your blood sugar may swing a bit. Eat whole unprocessed foods.