Fitbit/ fitdays scale

Options
lottagiles
lottagiles Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all,
I am hoping someone can help me with some advice on digital scales and fitbit calculations.
I recently bought a digital scale. Firstly, I was shocked at my weight (15kg to loose) and BMI (28.2) Is it normal that digital scales show more weight than a regular, old fashioned one?
Having been even more determined, I stuck to my Fitbit tracked calories used versus calories consumed making sure to stay in this limit...but no change in 3 weeks...am I too impatient? Or should I be cautious regarding Fitbit tracker? Does someone have experience or advice with this?
Thanks!!

Replies

• gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    In my opinion all bathroom scales are inaccurate. I have had both digital and mechanical - and still have t do an average of 3 readings. Are you using the scales on a hard, level floor?

I don't have a fitbit - I do have a Garmin. I don't however, take any notice of any calories burned. I have used my new Premium status so that the cals aren't automatically added. The reason being that I have calculated my TDEE according to how much exercise I do on average per week, and again - the fitness trackers aren't bound to be very accurate.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is it normal that digital scales show more weight than a regular, old fashioned one?
    Domestic bathroom scales are not scientific instruments - it's normal for two scales to be different whether they are old-fashioned mechanical ones or digital but with a higher probability that digital will on average be more accurate.
    I had two digital scales that differed by 2lbs consistently, one very inexpensive, one quite expensive. The inexpensive one was tested against an accurate and calibrated scale in a lab and was spot on.

Having been even more determined, I stuck to my Fitbit tracked calories used versus calories consumed making sure to stay in this limit...but no change in 3 weeks...am I too impatient?
    Yes - every time you make a change in routine (food, exercise, activity etc.) give it at least a month for that change to settle out.

Or should I be cautious regarding Fitbit tracker?
    You should be cautious about any estimating device which doesn't mean you can't use their numbers - it just means you need to trial the numbers under consistent conditions and over an extended period of time.
    Devices are also giving averages - amongst that overall average will be high, low and close estimates which means you may need to make adjustments based on trends.

BTW one of the biggest reasons for results not matching expectations in the longer term is food logging inaccuracy. e.g. Your Fitbit numbers could be great but unless your food intake estimating is also reasonable results will diverge.