calories

Options
Is it better to force myself to eat when I am not hungry and be a little under my calorie goals or force myself to eat? I have added a snack to add more healthy calories but I am still just not making it. Thanks for your advice. :smile:

Replies

• SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Don't need to eat your calorie goal as long as you eat more than 1200 calories per day.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My motto...Not hungry=not eating...I don't really worry how many cals I have left. As long as you aren't under by a lot, often!
  • sarabhorton
    sarabhorton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lucky you! i only eat if i'm hungry, even if it means coming in under calorie goal - but i'm no expert. i'll be interested to see what others (more knowledgeable than i) have to say.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I know this is one of the biggest discussions on mfp (and many forums like this) but does it mean 1200 net, or as long as you're eating 1200. I always eat over 1200, but it can quite often be 1000-1100 net. I'm always full though throughout the day. I snack a lot and never let myself get hungry.
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    I don't eat if I'm not hungry, and I am ALWAYS way under my calorie goals. Between the exercise and calories, if I tried to eat them back I would be eating all day long!
  • Pmaddock87
    Options
    I think that if you're under your daily calorie goal then you're definitely on the right track, but it's very important to pay attention to what your body is telling you, and also very important to not be vitamin and mineral deficient as well.

If you find yourself missing your other nutrient goals (calcium, protein, vitamins A-K, zinc ect), you might want to incorporate a daily multi or other supplements to make sure your body is not only on the right weight loss track, but staying healthy as well.

Don't ever let yourself go into starvation mode either. If you eat way below your body's natural BMR every day, your metabolic rate will actually decrease as a defense mechanism, reducing the weight lost and putting your body under a lot of stress.

I personally feel that being just under your calorie goal (by say, 100-300) is a pretty good region to be in, as your goal is already set so that you will achieve your target weight in the proper time. Don't forget about counting your calories lost due to exercise though!